Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How warm must it at least be?
Warm summers with no variable snowpack in winter 33 19.64%
Hot summers with no variable snowpack in winter 50 29.76%
Chilly winters and warm summers 15 8.93%
Chilly winters and hot summers 29 17.26%
Not any of the above (please explain) 41 24.40%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 08:22 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
170 days? More like 240+ days. NYC's growing season length is on par with most Cfa cities in the mid-South. It's average first freeze date is actually later than Atlanta's, and not too far off (a week) from Houston's.

Can you say "Urban Heat Island"? NYC is bizarrely warm in Central Park and elsewhere because 8M people are jammed into that tiny area. That region of the US outside of UHI's does not have 240 plus days. Not even close.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
170 days? More like 240+ days. NYC's growing season length is on par with most Cfa cities in the mid-South. It's average first freeze date is actually later than Atlanta's, and not too far off (a week) from Houston's.

You say 4 months is a small chunk, hardly a defining feature of the climate, yet 2-3 months of winter is enough to define a climate in its entirety?

Btw, I don't look at anyone's opinion as "wrong", subtropical means something different to everyone.

It is not just winter. Look at how cold November can be in the unstable climates of eastern North America. Look at how bizarrely cold March can be in this same region. March 2015 ring a bell?

We can have pure winter weather from November straight thru till the end of March with the completely unstable nature of this region outside of the three to four stable summer months. Sometimes even May can be very cool and rainy and October get frost and snow.

Even the deep southern cities can have frost in October. I think all eastern US subtropical climate cities should have an asterisk next to their name. And then the asterisk should indicate something like "this climate is subject to wild fluctuations in winter temperatures and negative winter daily temp anomalies of up to 35F degrees."

Old 02-10-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
The first freeze typically occurs in mid November in Atlanta, late November in NYC, & early December in Houston.

Oh come on you can't even compare the UHI of NYC with Atlanta. NYC is a fake climate totally due to UHI. The climate of that location without NYC would not have those winter avg temps or growing season.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc_Anyday_Everyday View Post

Nope. NYC growing season is 235 days also Philly's is like 215 because of colder low temps than NYC. Last year the growing season was probably longer than 250 days.

NYC total UHI causing the delay in 32F temps in Fall and Spring. The growing season outside of both cities is shorter than that and you know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc_Anyday_Everyday View Post

Both are broadleaf evergreen and are native to the same climate (humid subtropical) from NYC to central Florida.

Try again. It ain't evergreen no matter how you spin it. If it isn't evergreen on the Gulf Coast of AL it ain't evergreen in the South.

From Wiki:

Taxodium distichum (bald cypress,[SIZE=2][[/SIZE][SIZE=2]2[/SIZE][SIZE=2]][/SIZE] baldcypress, bald-cypress, cypress, southern-cypress, white-cypress, tidewater red-cypress, Gulf-cypress, red-cypress, or swamp cypress) is a deciduous conifer (in genus Taxodium, familia Cupressaceae) that grows on saturated and seasonally inundated soils of the Southeastern and Gulf Coastal Plains of the United States.[/quote]

Old 02-10-2016, 08:42 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,004,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S0NIC B00M View Post
Townsville in Australia is at 19N, and yet it almost froze:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Townsville#Climate

Isn't that wild?

Wow,its Amazing..

I wonder why in South America the Cold Doesnt reach that far north in East Coast.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:54 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
Wow,its Amazing..

I wonder why in South America the Cold Doesnt reach that far north in East Coast.
I think it has to do with the overall aridity and clear skies of Australia. Those cold temps are caused only by radiational cooling.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:01 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Townsville has a winter that is drier than many Mediterranean summers.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:03 PM

1,916 posts, read 1,458,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S0NIC B00M View Post
But Townsville isn't arid; it is a rainy tropical region by the coast (and it gets destroyed in every PPG episode I have seen).
You wont believe this forecast then. This is Townsville's forecast.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:04 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times
Yes Townsville has a very pronounced dry season in the winter. It's a perfect recipe for cool nights.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:34 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Can you say "Urban Heat Island"? NYC is bizarrely warm in Central Park and elsewhere because 8M people are jammed into that tiny area. That region of the US outside of UHI's does not have 240 plus days. Not even close.
NYC normally isn't bizarrely warm, aside from its "wtf?" moments where it's 10+ degrees warmer than surrounding areas. And the region outside of NYC is much closer to 240 days than 170. Maybe 210-220-ish.

Quote:
It is not just winter. Look at how cold November can be in the unstable climates of eastern North America. Look at how bizarrely cold March can be in this same region. March 2015 ring a bell?

We can have pure winter weather from November straight thru till the end of March with the completely unstable nature of this region outside of the three to four stable summer months. Sometimes even May can be very cool and rainy and October get frost and snow.
Such a scenario is highly unlikely, due to our variability. I can't recall having five straight months of winter weather, I'd leave and never come back lol. March can be wintry, but it can be warm as well, same with November. Generally speaking we get a solid 2-3 months of winter.

Quote:
Even the deep southern cities can have frost in October. I think all eastern US subtropical climate cities should have an asterisk next to their name. And then the asterisk should indicate something like "this climate is subject to wild fluctuations in winter temperatures and negative winter daily temp anomalies of up to 35F degrees."
That's unnecessary lol. I'll take the winter variability for summer stability though, even though we end up with hardiness zones lower than they should be for our locations, that part kills me. I couldn't deal with a variable summer, 70F one day and then 110F the next, could you imagine? Just give me 80's and 90's.

Quote:
Oh come on you can't even compare the UHI of NYC with Atlanta. NYC is a fake climate totally due to UHI. The climate of that location without NYC would not have those winter avg temps or growing season.
Why can't two urban areas be compared? I know NYC is more urban, but the climate isn't fake, it exists. Growing season length is about as influenced by the UHI as it is by NYC's coastal location. Average temps aren't spectacular to begin with and wouldn't be much different without the UHI. Montauk, on the opposite end of Long Island, has similar winter averages and the same hardiness zone as NYC. NYC is hotter in the summer though, for obvious reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather