Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How warm must it at least be?
Warm summers with no variable snowpack in winter 33 19.64%
Hot summers with no variable snowpack in winter 50 29.76%
Chilly winters and warm summers 15 8.93%
Chilly winters and hot summers 29 17.26%
Not any of the above (please explain) 41 24.40%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 04:58 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,589,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
oh, i'm surprised to see Bordeaux has recorded such lows as -1,8c in may and september. I didn't expect it in such a mild climate. Or maybe these are the dynamics at play that occur in NW France and England which see frosts until june and as early as september ? Where are the brits to explain this ? High radiation with cool eastern european air ?
Heathrow has never recorded a frost between June or September, and has a record low of -0.4c in May. We don't usually get our first frost until late November.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:42 AM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Heathrow has never recorded a frost between June or September, and has a record low of -0.4c in May. We don't usually get our first frost until late November.
sure, but I remember a few days in early june last year where several UK locations (certainly not heathrow though) recorded frosts. This also happens some years in NW France, between the Loire Valley and Normandy.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:04 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,403,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Took some pictures and I am uploading some others I took in January. Trying to disprove that stupid myth that tom77falcons likes to push at everyone that the entire south is dead, deciduous, lifeless, and exactly same as Philadelphia in winter. Funny how everything south of Philadelphia is the same as Philadelphia but anywhere north is very different than Philadelphia to tom, according to him Toronto and Philadelphia are in 2 different leagues yet Raleigh, Atlanta, and all the inland south really are the same league as Philadelphia . also uploading some other pics I posted once in the photo thread. Tell me after seeing my pics just how subtropical you think Raleigh is. you would be surprised, koppen was not wrong about Raleigh. my challenge to tom as he keeps saying Raleigh looks like Philadelphia, go take some pics that looks just like mine in Philadelphia... and in the forests not landscapes.

everything but the pic before the last are live oaks. these pics where taken in January.

Notice how around the pines there are broadleaf evergreens, no way? in the inland south? how could it be? These pics were all taken in January also.

Notice the large bamboo clump behind the black water container. Bamboo is spreading here pretty fast.

under a large broadleaf evergreen tree.

walnuts on the tree. They were not there in the beginning of winter. When do they usually form?

caught this beautiful bird on camera eating out of the feeder about a week ago

sandy soil

some pines have been dropping cones for a while and many more are forming large cones like these.

Anyways all the pics from the bamboo down were taken today except for the one of the bird. Tom go ahead im sure since Philadelphia and Raleigh are practically twins you wont have a hard time finding scenes like these. lol.
tom I am waiting for your response. I took some more pictures today of sandy farmland in eastern wake county and a native longleaf pine stand in north Raleigh. Remember how you said southern magnolias don't grow in Raleigh's forests? they do and that confirms my theory as I have seen them but always ignored them thinking maybe they were not southern magnolia but I have seen a list of trees in wake county and southern magnolia is officially naturalized and common in Raleigh forest areas.

Trees, Shrubs, and Woody Vines of Wake County, North Carolina

Old 02-21-2016, 07:49 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
They don't look like up in the Northeast, but there's still a lot of bare and brown. Far less deciduous and broadleaf evergreens in the Bay Area of California, which feels completely different in the level of winter greenery.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:08 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
tom I am waiting for your response. I took some more pictures today of sandy farmland in eastern wake county and a native longleaf pine stand in north Raleigh. Remember how you said southern magnolias don't grow in Raleigh's forests? they do and that confirms my theory as I have seen them but always ignored them thinking maybe they were not southern magnolia but I have seen a list of trees in wake county and southern magnolia is officially naturalized and common in Raleigh forest areas.

My photos of Cape May NJ looked just as green as that imo.

Sorry, but I still see lots of dead looking brown and leafless trees in your photos. You act like I have never been in Raleigh in winter. I have been there. And I never said "the entire South". Did you not see my photos of Savannah and Beaufort from January. I have always maintained, and still maintain, the inland South is a very cold subtropical continental type climate with lots of dead brown veg in winter. I saw it myself driving from I-10 down to Destin, FL in Feb of 2015. Around I-10 the grass was dead brown (that awful warm season grass) and lots of deciduous trees. Destin was way more green.

I'm still trying to figure out why the South just around 30 miles inland looks so much more dead than the coast. Have you not seen the photos from inland Statesboro Georgia or from the guy in Alexandria Louisiana? Those areas are far warmer than Raleigh yet they look much more dead.

Does the climate change that dramatically, or is it the winter extreme minima there is so much colder than 30 miles to the coast. That would be very typical of a strongly continental climate. You wouldn't see that in Australia where Queen Palms grow hundreds of miles inland. Why haven't all these broadlead evergreens native to the South I hear so much about taken over all the deciduous forests you see everywhere? Would it be the cold extremes. Maybe they only survive in the warmer cities and towns.

Oh, I'll take some photos from Rehoboth Beach, DE next weekend on my way to Virginia Beach. I'll post those as soon as I get back. Wanna bet with all the loblollies and magnolias in coastal DE it looks just as green as Raleigh. Actually it may be even more green looking.

When were those photos taken?

Old 02-21-2016, 10:11 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:

Sorry, but there are lots of dead looking shrubs, grass and leafless trees in your photos. Compare your photos with Rimini, Italy much further north in latitude, or places in France or Australia. The only places as dead looking and as close to the equator as your area would be in East Asia. The rest of the world at your latitude has much warmer and greener winters. Kind of sad for garden enthusiasts in your neck of the woods.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:01 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,003,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Sorry, but there are lots of dead looking shrubs, grass and leafless trees in your photos. Compare your photos with Rimini, Italy much further north in latitude, or places in France or Australia. The only places as dead looking and as close to the equator as your area would be in East Asia. The rest of the world at your latitude has much warmer and greener winters. Kind of sad for garden enthusiasts in your neck of the woods.
I would say South America,but the same Latitude in Argentina they barely have trees,its mostly grassland.
I think its mostly due to the Northern Tropical trees cant grow with the Heavy Winter Frosts,and instead North America,where Northern trees have free passage to the South,The South America Deciduous trees cant pass through the Arid Patagonian Region and reach the Subtropical Latitudes.

I maked 2 images to show you it:

North America:

South America:

Old 02-22-2016, 03:37 AM

Quote:

Sorry, but I still see lots of dead looking brown and leafless trees in your photos. You act like I have never been in Raleigh in winter. I have been there. And I never said "the entire South". Did you not see my photos of Savannah and Beaufort from January. I have always maintained, and still maintain, the inland South is a very cold subtropical continental type climate with lots of dead brown veg in winter. I saw it myself driving from I-10 down to Destin, FL in Feb of 2015. Around I-10 the grass was dead brown (that awful warm season grass) and lots of deciduous trees. Destin was way more green.

I'm still trying to figure out why the South just around 30 miles inland looks so much more dead than the coast. Have you not seen the photos from inland Statesboro Georgia or from the guy in Alexandria Louisiana? Those areas are far warmer than Raleigh yet they look much more dead.

Does the climate change that dramatically, or is it the winter extreme minima there is so much colder than 30 miles to the coast. That would be very typical of a strongly continental climate. You wouldn't see that in Australia where Queen Palms grow hundreds of miles inland. Why haven't all these broadlead evergreens native to the South I hear so much about taken over all the deciduous forests you see everywhere? Would it be the cold extremes. Maybe they only survive in the warmer cities and towns.

Oh, I'll take some photos from Rehoboth Beach, DE next weekend on my way to Virginia Beach. I'll post those as soon as I get back. Wanna bet with all the loblollies and magnolias in coastal DE it looks just as green as Raleigh. Actually it may be even more green looking.

Most in January, some in February. I did say that parts of coastal Delaware might have some similarities. I don't know if you have noticed but coastal nc/sc is similar to north florida and then coastal Delaware and southern new jersey are similar in some aspects also to inland nc/sc. Kind of weird.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:38 AM

Quote:

doubt it, forest composition still a bit different. I do imagine that loblollies dominate in that area though, but we will see if its as much as here.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:56 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,448,329 times
Quote:
doubt it, forest composition still a bit different. I do imagine that loblollies dominate in that area though, but we will see if its as much as here.
We are at a lower latitude than Delaware but have no loblollies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather