Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 02:26 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,878,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
Man, I can't imagine what it's like to be some of you people. Feeling the cold air, the dampness, seeing the heavy layer of gray clouds slowly rolling in, the sound of light drizzle ringing in my ears has had me feeling absolutely fantastic lately. I mean, I honestly find it exhilarating. There is a feeling... there is no single word in English that can describe it. I feel like things are more 'real' around this time of year... like reality has solidified after existing in an (unpleasant) ephemeral dream-like state for the duration of the summer. Everything is more here. I feel like I am more here. It is like the feeling of coming home after having been gone a very long time. It is a feeling of this is the way things are supposed to be.

So yes, I am most certainly looking forward to winter!
Nicely put and I completely agree. Spring and summer have an unreal quality to me, I don't ever really feel there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 03:07 AM

768 posts, read 653,995 times
Of course I'm excited.

I'm used to cold now, so I've hope for very cold November and December.
And January must be at least 10C below average. I want to breath an arctic ultra fresh and clean air and watching stars at -25C deep dark nightsky.

Last edited by Jesien; 09-29-2013 at 03:48 AM..

Old 09-29-2013, 03:08 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,263,867 times
No, not at all. I will be soon (in november since some nice days can still happen in October) expecting for next spring again. The thing I dislike about winter is not especially the cold, but rather the fact that sunsets are early.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:52 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
Nope. I didn't even like winter in Townsville.

I love Spring in Australia and the second-half of October is when I really start to get happy in southern areas of Australia.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:32 AM

13,484 posts, read 9,025,623 times
No. But saying that I wont have much of winter to contend with here in the UK as I move to Malta in December

Old 09-29-2013, 11:36 AM

865 posts, read 1,076,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
You seem to get less snow than me which is halarious.

I do agree those easterly airstreams are a complete waste of time in the majority of the british isles. Right they bring cold but little snow. They are very very dry airmasses and in my experience only result in cloudy days. I remember this march the bbc news were constantly going on about how snowy it was, the funny thing was that the snow was only affecting belfast and county down. The rest of northern ireland was compeltely snowfree because it was so dry and the showers did not reach here.

I think what we need for the british isles is a greenland express. Powerful and cold arctic airmass.
In Northern Ireland, you probably benefit from the northerly airstreams, which can bring snow, if there isn't too much high ground to the north of where you are located. Alas, here in Glasgow, when the wind comes from the north, all the snow gets blocked by the highlands. When you look at it on the weather forecast, you see a band of snow draped around the north and east of Scotland, with a big nothing over Glasgow and much of the Central Belt and Trossachs.

We usually only really get a decent covering of snow if a band of precipitation coming in from the west meets cold air over the mainland. Which is what characterised the post-Christmas period of 2000, when Belfast and Glasgow were the metropolitan areas with the deepest snow levels.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:47 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
If it's as good as last winter, snow-wise, I'll be a very happy camper.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:02 PM

457 posts, read 645,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I can't say when the last time was where I could say, I can't wait for winter. I wonder how cold and snowy it's gonna get this year? Last year was ok, the year before that was a bust. Of course, just as long as PennDOT and my township keep the roads plowed and salted I don't care how much it snows
Me too. I can't wait for winter and the snow that drives away the Heat Worshippers who come here thinking the Desert doesn't get "cold". Now, NMDOT is probably crap when it comes to snow removal just like almost everything else in this state....of course last year Gallup was fine. Hell maybe there will be less COMPETITION for what few jobs there are, once the Sun Worshippers go away, go south to Cruces or Alamogordo or Phoenix or Tucson.

Old 09-29-2013, 04:27 PM

513 posts, read 913,803 times
The only thing I look forward to during winter is the rain. Since we don't get rain here in L.A during the summer months, rainy days during winter are refreshing. But that's about it. Come February, I'm ready for summer again.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:24 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,107,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
No. But saying that I wont have much of winter to contend with here in the UK as I move to Malta in December
your going to live in a soda bottle!!!.

No thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather