Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Climate Battle: Sendai vs. Vancouver
Sendai 13 56.52%
Vancouver 10 43.48%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 08:37 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
We don't get that much drizzle actually. Most rain here is short duration on the days it happens. From May-September less than a quarter of the days we had rain (this is going by my weather records and weather notes for these days) had drizzle. The first two main common types of rain (year round) are showers or periods of actual rain. And I'm in BUXTON. SE England probably gets 1/20th of the drizzle the PacNW gets LOL.

My answer to this question is Sendai. Better summers.
Well the UK in general is much drier than the coastal areas of the PacNW so it stands to reason you'd get all types of precip less than us. We don't get much drizzle either was my original point but periods of showers and heavy rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 11:47 PM

1,244 posts, read 1,295,082 times
Vancouver, much nicer summers.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:26 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,604,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian High View Post
Vancouver, much nicer summers.
Same for me.

Vancouver easily.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:42 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,686,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I've been in your summers. They are very pleasant. It's just the winter time is the time of constant drizzle. When I talk about drizzle in England, I'm specifically referring to December-February as I stayed in the southeast in that time frame and remember the constant drizzle every week of winter usually only 1-3 days of break a week from it
I think that was more based on the winter you were there than statistical averages. A 1-3 day a week break from drizzle even in winter is unusual, much "drizzlier" than average and even for a place like Buxton it would be. Sounds like you experienced a mild damp winter with a lot of SW'ly winds.

I do not find much constant drizzle here at all. As an example this gone January I recorded drizzle on 5 days of the month (it was a slightly drier than average month). In contrast, January 2012 had 11 days with drizzle - that was wetter than average. The vast majority of rain was frontal moderate rain or showers. If we get a lot of precipitation in winter it will usually be frequent bouts of moderate frontal rain. Otherwise, it can go for many days even 1-2 weeks without raining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather