Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 11:23 PM

7,033 posts, read 4,954,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Overcast Cold View Post
Seriously, don't even go there. Because I am going to get pissed off.

Melbourne is the polar capital of Australia. And as for the summers, they are cold by world standards. Aside from coastal California and coastal Portugal, I cant think of a colder summer on Earth at the same latitude and elevation.

Melbourne is purely maritime, the ugly overcast stratus laden drizzly cold winters, the constant cold fronts year round, the windchill etc... all point to a pathetic derp of a maritime climate. Summers are unreliable, there is infact more cold than heat, usually heat lasts 2-3 days at most and replaced by a week or more of cold cloudy southerly oceanic junk.

this spring.... nothing but southerly cold wintry cloudy wet tripe. The WORST spring I've ever experienced here. November had 15 days below 20C..... and this December is struggling as well with highs as cold as 17C forecast. Melbourne's summers are anything but hot. The occasional 35-40C day does not constitute a hot summer.
You can be a dumb **** sometimes, I swear.

You either forget that Hobart exists, or you have been extremely priveleged with hot weather in the past. Melbourne, by average, is warmer than your average oceanic climate and none of this hyperbole does anything to disprove that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 12:06 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,657,285 times
Many parts of Indonesia around 1200-1300m (4000-4300ft for imperial) such as Lembang (coldest month 18c) - transition From tropical to temperate highland subtropical

Old 11-08-2015, 12:44 AM

855 posts, read 772,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
When one considers the variation within the UK/Europe, the completely different pattern of the PNW/BC, wide variance in NZ/Australia, not to mention other regions, I just don't see how evenly distributed rainfall can be said to be a feature.

It has been stated as a feature of Oceanic climates for as long as the label has been around,... but is it true?
Adequate rainfall in all seasons. No season where plants are typically stressed by drought. Variation - yes, but nothing major.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
I believe that they should broaden the climate classifications or just drop Koppen's. Some cities, which are under 'Mediterranean' and 'humid subtropical' just don't fit in their given classification. Something similar to a 'warm temperate' climatic classification should be made. There are many dry Cfa and Mediterranean climate areas that can fit into 'warm temperate'.

San Antonio, Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra, Dubbo, Wagga Wagga, Dallas, Rome, Venice, Austin are transitional enough to have their own specific classification.

Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra, Dubbo and Wagga Wagga should be under 'warm temperate'. They're not that humid to be under Cfa or that cool and wet to be 'oceanic'. Melbourne is usually tagged under 'oceanic' which is rather ridiculous as it's very hot in summers and has low humidity levels, influenced by the northern desert.

Rome should also be 'warm temperate' as it has only ONE month of little rain (the rain is pretty erratic) - This is NOT a Mediterranean precipitation pattern. It's also still too warm and dry for Cfa. Venice is also too dry for Cfa. So again, 'warm temperate' seems perfect.

Austin, San Antonio and Dallas are just humid compared to Phoenix and the nearby desert. But to the East and pretty much the world, they are not humid. "Humid subtropical" sounds so wrong for them, especially when they're a little on the dry side. I would also try 'warm temperate' on them.

Just my 2 cents.
You have to remember that evapotranspiration is key. The sporadic rain Rome gets in July and August doesn't do anything for plant life. It just evaporates. All you have to do is look at the landscape and native plants. Rome is Mediterranean, Venice looks like the rest of southerly Central Europe.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Cairo is a full on desert. How so?

Tripoli is very semi-arid.
Tripoli is definitely transitional between Med and arid steppe.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Maybe, but even Joe himself has admitted that his climate is not typical of oceanic climates. I've always viewed western European maritime climates as being the typical oceanic climates, but people from the Pacific NW may do the same.
In my experience, people from the PNW tend to erroneously assume they have an identical climate to the UK.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Yes, I think that's a part of it. Language may be another factor. Rainfall is said to be even in all seasons(except for the obvious glaring exceptions), but what they should really be saying is that the cycle of rain bearing fronts is more consistent in Oceanic climates, although once again, there are obvious exceptions.

I'n now thinking more along the lines of, what is a typical Oceanic climate? The only commonality is temperature moderated seasons due to oceanic influence Nothing else is typical across the board Oceanic weather.
Weather dominated year round by westerlies and a series of frontal systems. Adequate moisture for plant growth in all seasons. Very moderate temperatures with few extremes. Generally not all that sunny.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
For thousands of years people thought the Earth was the centre of the universe with the Sun, the planets, and the stars orbiting around it. Generation upon generation went to their graves believing this to be true, not because the evidence supported the model but simply because it was the most referenced of their day and age.

Those who dare challenged the prevailing wisdom were derided as heretics, lunatics, or worse. Indeed, Galileo was famously condemned by the Inquisition of the Catholic Church to house arrest to the end of his days for supporting heliocentrism.

Of course we now know that not only is the Earth not the centre of Universe, neither is the sun. This is just one of many dogmatically and widely-held beliefs which finally has been put to rest. You can place it in the same historical cubby-hole to gather dust as the flat earth theory and alchemy.

So I wouldn't cite popularity or prominence as a defense of Koppen. It needs to be judged on its own merits.
Climate scientists still use Koppen and to a lesser degree Trewartha. I doubt their choice is random.

If you pay attention to ecosystems, they tend to follow Koppen quite convincingly.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:09 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtainium View Post
Adequate rainfall in all seasons. No season where plants are typically stressed by drought. Variation - yes, but nothing major.
Some Oceanic climates have drought adapted plants, so stress wouldn't be expected, while other Oceanic climates feature plants that do show stress, or slow growth during summer and quicken growth during Autumn.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
You are kidding me, right. It has hot summers with cool nights. Humid subtropical climates have warm & steamy nights in the summer. My sister live there and says it's too cool for comfortably wearing a bikini in Chicago on the lake Michigan beach during summer nights, but she does the same in Coastal Maryland without feeling chilly. See this map and you will find my answer to be more accurate:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...atemapusa2.PNG
Huh? Chicago has warm summer nights. Unless you think average lows near 70 (plus humidity) are cool. I don't.

And FYI, it's basically the same as Central Park lows in July and August.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather