Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 11:22 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I wouldn't say that the Faroe Islands are Subtropical, but more subtropical.

The not looking much different is the point.

Depends on what you are comparing the Faroe Island to. DC has colder winters than Faroe, but much warmer the rest of the year. Also, DC every winter gets some warmer days than Faroe. DC gets snow, but 85% of January days in DC have no snow cover(1" or more).

I think DC in the depth of winter looks more "subtropical" than the Faroe Islands do in May. At least DC has different broadleaf evergreen trees around. I don't believe either climate is subtropical though.

File:Sandavágur, Faroe Islands.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

May 2004

DC in January 2010 (temp wise right on average)

All sizes | IMG_6504 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

DC on January 19th 2011(a below normal month that year)

January 15 - January 21, 2011 - UPI.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 11:36 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Depends on what you are comparing the Faroe Island to. DC has colder winters than Faroe, but much warmer the rest of the year. Also, DC every winter gets some warmer days than Faroe. DC gets snow, but 85% of January days in DC have no snow cover(1" or more).

I think DC in the depth of winter looks more "subtropical" than the Faroe Islands do in May. At least DC has different broadleaf evergreen trees around. I don't believe either climate is subtropical though.

File:Sandavágur, Faroe Islands.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

May 2004

DC in January 2010 (temp wise right on average)

All sizes | IMG_6504 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

DC on January 19th 2011(a below normal month that year)

January 15 - January 21, 2011 - UPI.com
I didn't convey what I was trying to say very well.

What I was trying to say, is that climates which have higher levels of plant/animal activity during the winter, have more subtropical influence, than climates with less activity.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:

What I was trying to say, is that climates which have higher levels of plant/animal activity during the winter, have more subtropical influence, than climates with less activity.

That makes sense to me. Winter here definitely has the lowest outdoor insect activity.

On a related note, I found out my doc is also an amateur beekeeper here in Philly. I even bought some of his raw honey which is really good. He told me the bees come out once and a while during the winter to fly around, but only on sunny, windless days where the temp rises to around 45F or above. Normally they won't fly unless temps are above 55F, but on windless sunny winter days the hive heats up and they go flying.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
That makes sense to me. Winter here definitely has the lowest outdoor insect activity.

On a related note, I found out my doc is also an amateur beekeeper here in Philly. I even bought some of his raw honey which is really good. He told me the bees come out once and a while during the winter to fly around, but only on sunny, windless days where the temp rises to around 45F or above. Normally they won't fly unless temps are above 55F, but on windless sunny winter days the hive heats up and they go flying.
That sounds about right. The majority of winter days here are above 55F and usually very still. I guess those temperatures are going to mean a lot of wintering flowering plants as well.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
The answer is clear. "Subtropical" needs to be more finely divided. Highs could be 70 F and sunny in Southern Texas but 30 F (Very Rare, but it does happen) and cloudy in Southern NJ during the winter. Yet, both locations are classified as subtropical.

Are you saying that 30F and cloudy is rare in S. New Jersey in winter? I sure hope not. I think you meant 30F can happen in S. Texas, but your sentence is confusing.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:22 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
Quote:

I agree, I definitely think that matters. But what about the climates with milder winters (and more insect/plant activity) that have a lower amount of Growing Degree Days compared to climates with cooler winters (and low insect/plant activity)?

A plant in the climate with cooler winters (but more GDD's) would likely put on more growth per year compared to the same plant growing in the climate with the milder winters (and a lower amount of GDD's). I think the amount of GDD's should count as subtropical influence as well.

This may be wrong, but I read that Coconut palms fruit a little more easily in Central Florida than they do in Bermuda, even though in Central Florida they experience cooler winters and potentially lethal frosts and freezes, something that never happens in Bermuda. Whether or not the fruit reaches maturity in either area is something I don't know. And I'm not saying Central Florida is more subtropical than Bermuda, but its warmer months are certainly more potent, which is something that should be considered, in my opinion.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:21 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
Quote:
Are you saying that 30F and cloudy is rare in S. New Jersey in winter? I sure hope not. I think you meant 30F can happen in S. Texas, but your sentence is confusing.
Sorry for typo issue. I just wanted to say a large 40 F variation between south Texas and southern NJ in the winter is rare but can happen. Typically when its in the 70's down there, southern NJ breaks into the mid 40's to low 50's.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:29 AM

1,880 posts, read 2,308,882 times
Quote:
Why do you consider Melbourne to have Mediterranean leanings? It's monthly rainfall totals varies by only small amounts during the year. It's rainfall distribution is almost the perfect example of what Cfb rainfall is said to be.
I suppose I meant it was more mediterranean than subtropical and was making a guess. But I agree that it is oceanic.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:04 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,107,053 times
I think we need to break sub-tropical into more categories so it can be more specific. like Semi-tropical would be for the climates that are borderline tropical like Miami. then Sub-tropical for areas that are hardiness zone 9+ with the avg temp for no month falling below 10c. Then warm temperate for all other areas with the avg temp for the coldest month from -3c to 10c.

Last edited by miamihurricane555; 10-31-2013 at 10:38 AM..

Old 10-31-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I agree, I definitely think that matters. But what about the climates with milder winters (and more insect/plant activity) that have a lower amount of Growing Degree Days compared to climates with cooler winters (and low insect/plant activity)?

A plant in the climate with cooler winters (but more GDD's) would likely put on more growth per year compared to the same plant growing in the climate with the milder winters (and a lower amount of GDD's). I think the amount of GDD's should count as subtropical influence as well.
Perhaps if the winters were close enough, that there was little difference in the amount of species that can both can support, then greater GGDs would be of greater importance. I would still consider the milder winters as being more important in defining greater subtropical-ness, otherwise it just becomes a matter of having the hottest summer.

Comparing NYC and my town, which are both at the same latitude and have similar sunshine, rainfall and yearly temperature averages. NYC has more than double the GGDs than here does, but isn't able to support any where near the same amount of species. There can be no side by side comparison of summer growth rates in avocados (for example), because avocados won't survive in NYC, and the same applies to a huge amount of species.

My area can support a lot of plants that NYC can't but the opposite isn't true. Summer vegetables are obviously going to grow better and with bigger crops in NYC, but I don't think there isn't anything that can't be grown here but can there and it would be a small list if there was.

Greater biodiversity equals more subtropical-ness. (excluding dry climates)

Last edited by Joe90; 10-31-2013 at 12:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather