U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2014, 04:16 AM

10,872 posts, read 9,064,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Looks like the anti science hour.

Might be time for a new thread - Are Winds Caused by Dragons?
Oh, snap! Didn't mean that to happen. Let's make it a pro-science hour once again....

New York and Washington are subtropical paradises, as our mighty scientist says (Koppen). Balmy, pleasant and full of palm trees.

Bless Koppen for knowing their climate class. I mean, who would.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 11:19 AM

18,293 posts, read 15,377,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
Oh, snap! Didn't mean that to happen. Let's make it a pro-science hour once again....

New York and Washington are subtropical paradises, as our mighty scientist says (Koppen). Balmy, pleasant and full of palm trees.

Bless Koppen for knowing their climate class. I mean, who would.
Paradise, pleasant, palm trees -there's that holiday guide language again.

Koppen didn't know their climate. He understood why their climate is the way it is. An important distinction. He's saying NYC and Sochi, have their climates for the same basic reason as Brisbane and Hong Kong have theirs.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:49 AM
B87

11,656 posts, read 8,373,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
London and Dunedin are cool temperate.

Warm temperate: Summers highs between 23C and 25C. Winter highs not going below 12C
Cool temperate: Summers highs between 15C and 22C. Winter highs usually around 5C to 10C (any lower it's continental).
London is both, according to those definitions (warm temperate in summer and cool temperate in winter).

Old 10-30-2014, 12:00 PM

2,178 posts, read 2,129,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
London is both, according to those definitions (warm temperate in summer and cool temperate in winter).
But if you look at London's June, July and August av max put together it adds up to 22.6C, and the city defo averages below 10C in winter... So I guess London and Britain, according to theropod, is a cool temperate climate. Although I disagree, I would argue that Southern Britain is a warm temperate climate, as temps get up to 30 quite regularly in the summer. In fact I would argue you get more 30 degree days in London than 0 degree days, although I don't have the evidence, and this is where someone will probably prove me wrong? LOL

Old 10-30-2014, 12:09 PM

9,992 posts, read 10,623,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
But if you look at London's June, July and August av max put together it adds up to 22.6C, and the city defo averages below 10C in winter... So I guess London and Britain, according to theropod, is a cool temperate climate. Although I disagree, I would argue that Southern Britain is a warm temperate climate, as temps get up to 30 quite regularly in the summer. In fact I would argue you get more 30 degree days in London than 0 degree days, although I don't have the evidence, and this is where someone will probably prove me wrong? LOL
London probably does get more 30c days but to say southern Britain has a warm temperate climate is going too far. More often than not temperatures struggle to get much above 25c in the summer, and on average in winter temperatures are largely below 10c.

A warm climate to me would be places like Sydney, Tampa, Lisbon, Naples, Nice and the Azores.

I don't think a couple 30c in summer is enough to call Southern UK, warm temperate at all.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:17 PM

9,268 posts, read 6,209,700 times
I think both cool temperate and warm temperate are not good names to describe many climates, yet alone London.

The changes as you go from London to Edinburgh are pretty dramatic, from 30 days of 25C temperatures and 120 days of 20C a year to around 3 days of 25C and 35 days of 20C a year.. places in Scotland are truly deserving of the name 'cool temperate' if anything.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:17 PM
B87

The average high for June-Aug is 22.6, which is above his 22C threshold for a cool temperate climate, and closer to the 23C he uses for warm temperate. July and August are well within the warm temperate boundary.

You do get more 30C days in London than 0C days. An average summer gets 4-5 30C days, an average winter gets 0-1 ice days.

I wouldn't say it's a struggle to get above 25C in summer, a third of all summer days are over 25C.

I don't consider London to be cool temperate. I would say somewhere like Edinburgh or Belfast is cool temperate.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
The average high for June-Aug is 22.6, which is above his 22C threshold for a cool temperate climate, and closer to the 23C he uses for warm temperate. July and August are well within the warm temperate boundary.

You do get more 30C days in London than 0C days. An average summer gets 4-5 30C days, an average winter gets 0-1 ice days.

I wouldn't say it's a struggle to get above 25C in summer, a third of all summer days are over 25C.

I don't consider London to be cool temperate. I would say somewhere like Edinburgh or Belfast is cool temperate.
Yeah sure, London can get up to 25c (that's more or less a typical summer day) but it doesn't get much above that temperature. 26? Yeah 27? 28? On a weekly basis? No.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:28 PM
B87

28-29C temps on average work out at about once a week in summer. Heathrow records twice as many 29+ days as it does 30+ days in a typical summer.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
28-29C temps on average work out at about once a week in summer. Heathrow records twice as many 29+ days as it does 30+ days in a typical summer.
But they don't.

They clump together in a couple heatwaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or