Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 11:51 PM

11,645 posts, read 12,841,227 times

Advertisements

I'm not a big fan of Koppen's classification.

I mean, 'humid subtropical' has New York City with New Orleans and Brisbane. I could never buy that.

They should split it - have 'humid temperate' for cooler cities and 'humid subtropical' for warmer cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 12:14 AM

22,118 posts, read 29,465,573 times
Climate classifications, according to deneb78.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:17 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,543,808 times
I have simplified that, for winters at least.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:21 AM

22,118 posts, read 29,465,573 times
I like how you just manage to include London in the not Arctic area.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:08 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,603,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Climate classifications, according to deneb78.
LOL pretty much sums it up. Although, I would split the subtropical area in half and make the upper half temperate

Old 11-07-2013, 03:35 PM

9,970 posts, read 12,327,973 times
A couple changes

Humid Subtropical would only include places with mild winters warmer than 11c so New Orleans, Sydney, Tampa, Brisbane and Hong Kong are Humid Subtropical but Buenos Aires, NYC, DC, Sochi, Memphis and Shanghai are "Humid" Sub-Continental climates the "sub" is not because there not continental enough but because the places are summer dominated and lack winter.

Continental climates will stay the same.

Oceanic climates could split up a bit too for far example Essen in Germany can be Sub-Oceanic while somewhere like Glasgow is still Oceanic or 'hyper" Oceanic.

Subarctic can be split into continental subarctic and Oceanic subarctic.

I don't care about Tropical climates...

Old 11-07-2013, 10:07 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,091,895 times
I would break tropical climates into 2 temperature bands equatorial and tropical.
Equatorial climates needs the avg temp for each and every month of at least 26c and the all time record low of no lower than 15c.

Tropical climates Require the avg temp in it's coolest month of at least 22c but not more than 26c and an annual avg temp of at least 26c and must never have recorded a freeze or frost.

The transition from tropical to temperate is covered by semi and sub tropical climates.

Semi-tropical climates have an average temp in it's coolest months of at least 16c, but not more than 22c and an average annual temp of at least 22c(22c is the threshold for most cold hardy tropicals to grow). Also, although frosts and freeze can occur in this climate, there cannot be more freeze days than years recorded(meaning that if a location has 34 years of weather records no more than 34 nights could have fallen below freezing).

Sub-Tropical climates have an avg temp in there coolest month of 10c-16c and an average annual temp of at least 16c. also the average annual minimum cannot be colder than -6c.

next up the temperate climates.

Warm Temperate climates have an avg temp in the coldest month coolest month has an avg temp 0c-10c and an average annual temp of at least 10c

as for all the climates colder than warm temperate I think koppen got them right so I let it be. what do you guys think of my changes?

Old 11-07-2013, 10:30 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,603,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
I would break tropical climates into 2 temperature bands equatorial and tropical.
Equatorial climates needs the avg temp for each and every month of at least 26c and the all time record low of no lower than 15c.

Tropical climates Require the avg temp in it's coolest month of at least 22c but not more than 26c and an annual avg temp of at least 26c and must never have recorded a freeze or frost.

The transition from tropical to temperate is covered by semi and sub tropical climates.

Semi-tropical climates have an average temp in it's coolest months of at least 16c, but not more than 22c and an average annual temp of at least 22c(22c is the threshold for most cold hardy tropicals to grow). Also, although frosts and freeze can occur in this climate, there cannot be more freeze days than years recorded(meaning that if a location has 34 years of weather records no more than 34 nights could have fallen below freezing).

Sub-Tropical climates have an avg temp in there coolest month of 10c-16c and an average annual temp of at least 16c. also the average annual minimum cannot be colder than -6c.

next up the temperate climates.

Warm Temperate climates have an avg temp in the coldest month coolest month has an avg temp 0c-10c and an average annual temp of at least 10c

as for all the climates colder than warm temperate I think koppen got them right so I let it be. what do you guys think of my changes?

Would you consider Vancouver warm temperate? Its annual average is 10-11C and coolest month is just around 4C

Old 11-07-2013, 10:35 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,143,262 times
Yeah right, central NJ is subtropical with a snow showers next Wednesday and Thursday. Enjoy the balmy weather

True subtropical weather is south of Washington DC. All points north are continental.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:46 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,254,958 times
I'd try to make the climate types smaller and more specific. I'd also try to bring a sense of uniformity by using "continental", "oceanic", etc. as climate subtypes, instead of climates types themselves. London would be "Mild temperate (Oceanic)", Phoenix would be "Subtropical (Arid)", etc.

Subarctic
• no more than 3 months above 10C

Cold temperate
• at least 3 months above 10C
• at least 1 month above 20C

Mixed temperate
• at least 5 months above 10C
• at least 2 months above 20C
• no month below -10C

Warm temperate/Mild temperate
• at least 7 months above 10C
• Warm = at least 4 months above 20C
• Mild = less than 4 months above 20C
• no month below 0C

Subtropical
• all months above 8C
• at least 4 months above 20C

This system is incomplete and far from perfect, I created it in a matter of minutes, but this is generally how I view the climates in the mid-latitudes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather