Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2013, 09:19 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times

Advertisements

By "live in AC" (I was attempting a concise thread title) I mean have A/C in their homes, vehicles, and workplaces. Most new homes as far north as the Canadian border have air conditioning; most people at least as far north as Minneapolis have it. Almost 100% of the cars on American roads today have A/C, and I've never been in a workplace in Minneapolis that didn't have it.

So, other than a temporary spike in their electric bills, why do people complain about the heat and humidity, especially in places like New York, Boston, Chicago, etc. where at least some of the summer days are comfortable?

I live in Duluth, Minnesota, and don't have air conditioning, though I have heating. I complain about the cold, which is ridiculous here from October to April (and sometimes even into June). A "cold" day here might have a high of -4F/-20C in January or 30F/-1C in late October or late April. In the former example, that's way too cold to be outside for long. In the latter, it's cold for so early in the season, or so late in the year.

But often, when it is hot and humid during the day, it cools off to at least manageable temperatures at night. 80F/27C with a dewpoint of 70F/22C isn't too bad in the dark. I get my walks in easily in those temperatures. I would walk the USF - Tampa campus at nightly (and sometimes during the day) in June and July when I did a research internship there. Only rarely was I actually uncomfortable.

(I can see why one would be uncomfortable and complain ad nauseam in a place without A/C that got those temperatures daily - falling asleep in my friend's house in Comalcalco, Mexico was extremely difficult with the probably-35C temperatures.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 09:40 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
A/C is not free. It costs money. Here in NJ, we need our heater 7 months a year and A/C for 2 months. Higher heat & humidity means more usage of A/C for comfort leading to higher bills.

Preferably, I like outside temperatures in the 70's-low 80's with dew points in the mid 50's. But that only happens a handful of days each summer. Thankfully, this august we had several comfortable days like the situation mentioned above. 19 days had a high below 85 F and low below 65 F, which is comfortable weather without A/C. In fact, we tied the record low of 49 F this August, and my house failed to rise above 69 F on that day without A/C. Wish that happened more often.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:50 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
I dont live that far from you (along the Red River with Grand Forks) we have A/C of course as we have no cool air supply like you on most summer days. But to me, I hate the heat/humidity as I just dont like being outside in it, whether it be mowing the yard or playing with the kids, or sitting watching a little league game. It is much more easier for me to tolerate cold than heat....always has been. My tolerance is about 75F with sunshine...above that and I try to limit outdoor activities for myself or I just sweat like a pig. On the other hand I can be in shorts and t-shirts for a short time at 20F.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:07 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
This is a question that has crossed my mind before. Other than the higher electric bills, I never understood why people complain. Of course, there are the people who like to spend a lot of time outdoors, and find the heat uncomfortable, but I wouldn't say they're the majority.

I'm the opposite, I'm almost never in A/C, and I actually hate when places have A/C on full blast, it's very uncomfortable going from 80/90-something outside and into 60-something indoors, especially in summer clothes.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:19 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,494,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
This is a question that has crossed my mind before. Other than the higher electric bills, I never understood why people complain. Of course, there are the people who like to spend a lot of time outdoors, and find the heat uncomfortable, but I wouldn't say they're the majority.

I'm the opposite, I'm almost never in A/C, and I actually hate when places have A/C on full blast, it's very uncomfortable going from 80/90-something outside and into 60-something indoors, especially in summer clothes.
Yeah, that. I'm rather warm-blooded, but stuffy is stuffy and quick changes like you are mentioning just flat out stink.

I know, I know...people did not complain about heat and humidity when they were dressed in black "way back when". We get it. They died.

Actually, after a couple of weeks adjusting, it's not so bad. It's getting into the 50s now at night here in the Houston area. Sticky 50s with wind. It will feel okay in December or even February when winter is really supposed to sock us this year, but so soon, not so great.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:30 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
They don't complain about it indoors, but the humidity/heat prevent them to enjoy outdoors.
A/C also promotes some health issues ( growth and spread of microorganisms ).

I agree with AlfredB1979 - the heat/humidity in TX sucks most of the year.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:53 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,464 times
Well, flip your question. You have heat, so why are you complaining about your cold winter, spring and fall weather? Exactly. People don't like being trapped indoors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather