Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Vancouver's climate could sustain a theme park that operates year round?
Yes 14 37.84%
No 18 48.65%
Not sure 5 13.51%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 06:18 PM

5,734 posts, read 3,513,858 times

Advertisements

There would be no market in the winter. It's far too rainy and cold.

Vancouver natives are already lining up to flock to California, Hawaii, Florida, etc for warm winter vacations.

People elsewhere in North America--if presented with a choice between a December theme park holiday in Orlando, Anaheim, or Vancouver--will never choose Vancouver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 06:37 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
There would be no market in the winter. It's far too rainy and cold.

Vancouver natives are already lining up to flock to California, Hawaii, Florida, etc for warm winter vacations.

People elsewhere in North America--if presented with a choice between a December theme park holiday in Orlando, Anaheim, or Vancouver--will never choose Vancouver.
I think the only way could compete would be on price and not on climate. Disney is very expensive for the average person. I know cause I went for the first time last December. If we could charge half the price for a similar product, then people may overlook the climate.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:50 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I think the only way could compete would be on price and not on climate. Disney is very expensive for the average person. I know cause I went for the first time last December. If we could charge half the price for a similar product, then people may overlook the climate.
It would have to be a really amazing theme park in order to justify dealing with the climate. Parks are extremely expensive to operate. I just don't see how it could be financially feasible to operate a theme park in Vancouver year-round, but maybe someone's risky investment could pay off, who knows. Would you take that risk?

Old 11-11-2013, 08:07 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
to expect anything to be cheaper in Canada than in the US is naive.
If Vancouver got a Disneyland, it will be at least 20% more expensive in Orlando's. Hotels and everything else will be expensive too.

Plus, most people will need to fly to see Disneyland. Do you know how expensive Canada's airfare is? Even given the choice, Canadians will still go to Orlando/Anaheim.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:12 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
to expect anything to be cheaper in Canada than in the US is naive.
If Vancouver got a Disneyland, it will be at least 20% more expensive in Orlando's. Hotels and everything else will be expensive too.

Plus, most people will need to fly to see Disneyland. Do you know how expensive Canada's airfare is? Even given the choice, Canadians will still go to Orlando/Anaheim.
This is more of a thought experiment than anything else. I know realistically it will never happen but just wondering if the climate here really could support a theme park year round hypothetically... what are the limits for year round operation if there are any climate wise?

Old 11-11-2013, 08:34 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,888,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Even if Great America was actually "great", I don't think they could stay open year around. As much as I love the South Bay weather, who would really want to go on a roller coaster in January when it is 55 degrees, with light wind and rain. Well, maybe weekends only for the die hard. But I still couldn't picture them getting much business at that time of year.
Then how do you explain Gilroy Gardens https://www.gilroygardens.org/ (Gilroy has the same climate as San Jose in winter) operating successfully year round? Also Disneyland and Knotts Berry Farm in Southern California which only has a slightly warmer and drier winter climate than San Jose and successfully operate year round. Disneyland Paris is much colder and wetter in winter than San Jose.

Great America should use "winter closed" season to do a major overhaul. Tear down the tacky old roller coasters and build some rides with substance and theme. It needs more thrill rides, show-type rides that are low intensity and entertaining to watch, and both intense roller coasters, and not-so intense moderate roller coasters with a great theme. It also needs to build better scenery.

San Jose isn't always in 55 and rainy in January. We get a good number of sunny days in winter with highs in the 60s and even occasionally the 70s. We average about 10 rainy days a month from December through March with the average high being 58 in January. That means 20 days are dry each winter month and half of the days have highs that exceed 58 in January and substantially more than half of winter days in February and March are over 60.

Stop making excuses for how pathetic Great America is.....

I would rather drive 8 hours to go to Disneyland than drive 20 minutes to visit that ****hole.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:55 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
Year-round? No.

Who would want to go to a theme park when it's in the 40's(F)? I've experienced it, and the thought alone makes me uncomfortable.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:55 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
That's not a lot - about the same as here. Most days will have no rain. Certainly less than Vancouver by a considerable margin.

Plus, Disney Land has the whole Christmas thing going on right now - I've seen ads for Disney Land on TV recently.
yeah, and Disneyland (in Anaheim) will be 87 degrees tomorrow, 93 degrees wednesday, 88 degrees thursday, 85 friday, 74 saturday etc.

Not the weather some people from cold climates would associate with Christmas

Old 11-11-2013, 10:58 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
Then how do you explain Gilroy Gardens (Gilroy has the same climate as San Jose in winter) operating successfully year round? Also Disneyland and Knotts Berry Farm in Southern California which only has a slightly warmer and drier winter climate than San Jose and successfully operate year round. Disneyland Paris is much colder and wetter in winter than San Jose.
Anaheim/Buena Park is about 10-15 degrees warmer in winter than San Jose.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:59 AM

2,043 posts, read 3,888,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
Anaheim/Buena Park is about 10-15 degrees warmer in winter than San Jose.
Anaheim has plenty of days with highs in the 60s from December through February it's still popular with even the wimpified locals year round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather