Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 03:41 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times

Advertisements

I'll take -20C over temps in the high 30s Celsius by far, but I've never experienced higher or lower so cannot comment on -30C or 40C etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 03:59 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Scorching heat > any kind of cold.

Frostbite is never any fun, I wish it was in the 100's right now.
frostbite sucks

i use to do alot of snowmobiling at night- and some nights it might be 5 or 10 below but the wind chill factor felt like -50

one night coming home alone (which was rare, always travelled in at least two's, in case someone broke down)
my arctic cat snowmobile broke down, and i couldnt get it started- i was a few miles from any houses-but had no choice but to walk- the days before cell phones,,,
it was the coldest, lonliest walk i ever had- walking kept me from freezing,,,but it was some cold-the wind was howling

i thought ive been cold before in my life- but i got an education...

and as teenagers, being young and stupid, we would go snowmobiling, and not dressed for it, got frostbit a few times,,,

on the flipside, id be like frosty, in the extreme heat-id melt,,anything over 80 is uncomfortable,,,60 is perfect

a couple days a year up here we are in the 90's and humid,,it sucks... i cant imagine how its tolerated in the south- a/c must keep the sanity

Old 11-15-2013, 08:21 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,211,978 times
Just about the only thing I like about the cold is the snowfall/wintry precipitation that often comes with it or just before it. Overall I prefer high heat/humidity and those hazy lazy days of summer where I can choose to spend time at the pool. This is especially true in regards in preference to extreme heat versus extreme cold.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:31 AM

104 posts, read 172,023 times
If you live on the Isle of Palms in T.I. we are sharing the same wonderful weather right now.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:41 AM

641 posts, read 1,020,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Rather be ice skating at 7 degrees fahrenheit, then another day at the beach at 96 degrees. Gets very old when you've lived your entire life in tropical/subtropical climates. I think 3 months of summer is ENOUGH for a year. Too much of a good thing is rotten. I can tolerate the heat June to August, but if it's October and in the 90s, leaves green as ever, something's gotta change!

I always found that northerners that complain about the cold to be real whiners. Even if you don't like the cold, you still got a hot summer. Almost anywhere that gets cold in the winter will get very warm in the summer. Alaska can get to the 90s, fancy that! But if you're in the far south, and you like the cold, you're screwed! Best you got is a few days in the 40s.
I agree. I think finding a balanced seasonal area would be ideal

Old 11-15-2013, 09:41 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,771,178 times
Always I would choose COLD! Never think that the grass is greener in a warmer climate. I've had a six year lesson and counting for afew months... Cannot wait to be in colder weather!!

Old 11-15-2013, 10:04 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
Its funny I already cannot remember what temps I used to go out in just last yer.. I want to say anything in the single digits is pretty cold but does not stop me. XC skiing can be quite warm in single digits.

fwiw, if it's cold enough, new tech gadgets will stop working. i've read -4F for LiIon batteries, and have seen my Iphone go from 100% to dead in warmer temps due to the cold.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:45 AM

104 posts, read 172,023 times
I've have left my iPhone in the car too many times. The lcd screen freezes in the winter (but comes back when it thaws) and I've fried it in summertime (came back once fine, second time not so fine). Also lost more than one to water damage. In my jeans pocket during a torrential downpour with my hand covering my pocket - still got wet enough to brick it. Once waded in a little too deep while fishing....My conclusion is the iPhone (like most computer equipment) is more resistant to cold than heat and completely unresistant to H20!

Old 11-15-2013, 11:52 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,448,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
Never think that the grass is greener in a warmer climate.
That's an ironic metaphor to use when talking about climate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather