Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 07:36 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,363,072 times

Advertisements

I remember getting heat exhaustion one day when I was like 7 or 8 years old in the back of my grandma's car (it was a hot summer day in South FL, and her car didn't have A/C in the back ) I remember feeling really dizzy like I was about to faint. Other than that I've been outside in both really hot (100 F/38 C) and really cold (about -20 F) weather for extended periods of time with no problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 08:00 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Yeah, in England lol. I got the flu twice from there

Old 11-15-2013, 06:01 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
The weather itself doesn't give people colds or flu. People are more likely to catch them in winter when they spend more time indoors in close proximity to others. If one person has it, they all get it.

If you stayed outside all winter but kept your distance from all other humans, you would most likely not catch anything.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:06 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,688,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I hardly ever get ill. Not only that but the only time I did have the flu it was 23°c and sunny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
The weather itself doesn't give people colds or flu. People are more likely to catch them in winter when they spend more time indoors in close proximity to others. If one person has it, they all get it.

If you stayed outside all winter but kept your distance from all other humans, you would most likely not catch anything.
Exactly.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:08 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
I've never had the flu in my life. The only time I was seriously ill was when I was 2 and had to be taken to hospital urgently because I stopped breathing - but as far as I'm aware that was not weather related.. lol.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:17 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,215,512 times
I don't think I have ever been Ill just because of the weather outside, but I can say that the weather may have contributed to it.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:32 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,933,171 times
I think everyone at some point has probably been "under the weather" (pun intended).... especially here in the Mid-Atlantic / Northeastern States.

Perfect example.. earlier this week high temps were in the 30s.. now today it'll be around 60... drastic temperature changes certainly influence many people to get colds.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:30 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Yes, cold triggered asthma when I was a kid.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:57 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,213,290 times
Default All the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
OK, I thought this might be an interesting discussion to take us away from the usual silly debates about whether one type of weather/temperature is better or not.

Have you, for whatever reason, maybe you did not prepare properly, or got caught out in certain extreme conditions, suffered hypo/hyperthermia in very cold or hot conditions? Or what is the closest you have been to really thinking you were going to pass out/be seriously physically affected due to the conditions?

My closest "shave" was December 29th, 2000 in Buxton Derbys when we came up there for the New Year holiday. That day it was -5°C all day with 6" of snow on the ground. We all bought sledges so we could ride down the slopes. Because of my own idiocy probably (I was 13 at the time) I thought I could get away with not wearing a coat (or a hat indeed) and just wore my hoodie. It's funny because I never even felt like I was getting cold. I didn't shiver at all. I just realised I was becoming very dizzy and couldn't talk properly, and it was like I was very drunk. I couldn't balance properly and realised I was losing consciousness. I had to go inside very quickly and warm myself up as I was already losing my vision. It was scary. I started foaming at the mouth like I had rabies and people ran for their lives. (no they didn't really).

Yet I've encountered temps as high as 50°C clothed and never felt too hot. My physiology is simply not geared to cold weather.
Cold wet weather makes the pollen as it encapsulates more toxic, our forced hot air culture blows all the ducts' dust and mold into the rooms when the heat comes on, and hot air defeats your body's immune system by drying out your sinuses.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:45 PM

3,187 posts, read 4,588,117 times
Haven't got sick directly from the weather that I know of, though very hot weather used to trigger nose bleeds when I was a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather