Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 09:57 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,688,800 times

Advertisements

OK, I thought this might be an interesting discussion to take us away from the usual silly debates about whether one type of weather/temperature is better or not.

Have you, for whatever reason, maybe you did not prepare properly, or got caught out in certain extreme conditions, suffered hypo/hyperthermia in very cold or hot conditions? Or what is the closest you have been to really thinking you were going to pass out/be seriously physically affected due to the conditions?

My closest "shave" was December 29th, 2000 in Buxton Derbys when we came up there for the New Year holiday. That day it was -5°C all day with 6" of snow on the ground. We all bought sledges so we could ride down the slopes. Because of my own idiocy probably (I was 13 at the time) I thought I could get away with not wearing a coat (or a hat indeed) and just wore my hoodie. It's funny because I never even felt like I was getting cold. I didn't shiver at all. I just realised I was becoming very dizzy and couldn't talk properly, and it was like I was very drunk. I couldn't balance properly and realised I was losing consciousness. I had to go inside very quickly and warm myself up as I was already losing my vision. It was scary. I started foaming at the mouth like I had rabies and people ran for their lives. (no they didn't really).

Yet I've encountered temps as high as 50°C clothed and never felt too hot. My physiology is simply not geared to cold weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 10:04 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
I got heatstroke in Spain once, but I was walking around all day with no sunscreen on, which was a stupid thing to do when it was around 30C. I remember spending the next two days in bed vomiting.

That's my only instance I recall of the weather having a direct impact on my health.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:15 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
My physician once told me when a certain type storm front moved in across our area, he always thought of me. This is because is would hurt so much, feeling as if I'd been struck by a truck. Of course, not really, since if actually hit by a truck, I would probably be dead. The arthritis which accompanies systemic lupus is almost the same as rheumatoid, except it isn't deforming.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:20 AM

2,672 posts, read 3,183,725 times
I've never had serious illness because of the weather. Sometimes I've felt the strain while bicycling on the hills during the summer but not illness. During the summer the weather is perfect to me and humid 30°C totally comfortable. I never wear sunscreen unless I sunbathe at the beach.
Sometimes I get cold, sore throat, stomachache, headache or earache from cold/bad weather from October to March, wearing proper clothes of course, and that's why I can't imagine living in cool and rainy/snowy climates, not to mention wearing t-shirts at 10°C. But not real illness.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:29 AM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
Have you, for whatever reason, maybe you did not prepare properly, or got caught out in certain extreme conditions, suffered hypo/hyperthermia in very cold or hot conditions?
Only one I can remember is having a heat stroke Hiking the 3rd tallest mountain in NY in August. Started at 4am in the dark while 62°F/16C and ended with sunny skies and the temp at 77F/25C. It was about 3/4 the way up when I started getting a migraine, felt very overheated, and even stopped sweating.

The air was just too hot above the tree line.. I was drinking water the whole way but I should of brought a cooler of Ice cubes up with me so I can dump it on my head.. Since then I've hiked 7 other trails while temps stayed under 50F/10C. Never again will I venture out with temps that hot and sunny.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:35 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
The cold triggers my asthma, which is otherwise dormant. I'll begin wheezing and coughing after breathing in excessive amounts of cold air. So on top of already being uncomfortable/in pain, I'm also being strangled slowly from within.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:40 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
I have had early stage hypothermia a few times as a teenager/young adult, but not since.

I haven't been sunburnt since I can remember. Growing up on tobacco farms and spending a lot of time standing out in the fields, I developed a healthy respect for the sun.

I've run low on water and suffered dehydration a few times. NZ mountains can be very dry during summer, and with a very nasty sun - a bad combination.

Last edited by Joe90; 11-14-2013 at 11:49 AM..

Old 11-14-2013, 11:40 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,056 times
I had heatstroke after doing a 30km race over dartmoor. It wasn't particularly hot, only 22 or 23C, but the sun was very intense and I didn't wear a hat. It was an hour or two after the race when I started feeling bad. I was sick as a dog for the next 24 hours.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:47 AM

623 posts, read 675,138 times
No, not really. Sunburned yes, lightheaded in the heat yes. I've had my hands get painfully cold a few times, but not to the point of blistering or having lasting damage.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:52 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,056 times
I also did Arctic training up in Bardufoss, Norway a few years ago. We had to break through the sea ice and jump in the water with heavy kit, then proceed to remove our kit and ourselves from the water. After doing that I didn't see the contents of my underpants for quite a few days.

Not so much an illness, just a worrying site!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather