Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate is better for you?
London 45 77.59%
Mecca 13 22.41%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 08:55 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times

Advertisements

London's a pretty decent climate. Only its winters leave much to be desired. For sure, it wins easily against one of the worst climates on earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 11:25 AM

2,043 posts, read 3,888,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Actually, the UK only uses miles for distances and speed, no kilometers. Speedometers on cars are marked in MPH. It is the only country left that uses miles, Republic of Ireland made the switch to kilometers some time ago. They do use Celsius, but they switch to Fahrenheit whenever the temperature manages to reach at least 80°F. They'd say something along the lines of, "today in London we'll have a high of 26 degrees Celsius, that's 80 degrees Fahrenheit"

I used to be enamored with British accents, now for me the normal southeast English accent (which you hear on the BBC) is as ordinary to me as standard American, thanks to speaking with my English fiancee on a daily basis for the past 5 years

I have a friend who moved here from England at age 9. She switches her accent on and off at will. She will sound American most of the time but sound English when she talks to her parents (who obviously still have the accent) or when she sees a cute guy here and wants to impress him. She says my fake Brit accent is terrible and that if I visit England and try it on them, they'll know straight away I was an American. I love listening to it though. I definitely want to visit London and also the English countryside sometime within the next several years. Not just for the accent of course, but for the sightseeing, history, culture, museums, city life, etc.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post

Wow, I am genuinely surprised at this, I didn't think I'd ever see the day where you chose a cool (ish) climate over a hot climate , I guess Mecca really is a climatic hellhole.
Nope, I've seen him pick a subarctic climate with cold, snowy winters and anemic summers with average daytime highs less than room temperature over my fictional climate with comfortable winters and ultra hot summers- //www.city-data.com/forum/weath...-you-heat.html

Old 11-16-2013, 01:41 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
Nope, I've seen him pick a subarctic climate with cold, snowy winters and anemic summers with average daytime highs less than room temperature over my fictional climate with comfortable winters and ultra hot summers- //www.city-data.com/forum/weath...-you-heat.html
Yeah but Loco's temperatures are just plain stupid. A 158 F high in July???

Old 11-16-2013, 02:25 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
I have a friend who moved here from England at age 9. She switches her accent on and off at will. She will sound American most of the time but sound English when she talks to her parents (who obviously still have the accent) or when she sees a cute guy here and wants to impress him. She says my fake Brit accent is terrible and that if I visit England and try it on them, they'll know straight away I was an American. I love listening to it though. I definitely want to visit London and also the English countryside sometime within the next several years. Not just for the accent of course, but for the sightseeing, history, culture, museums, city life, etc.
My fiancee says my English accent needs work....I sound too Australian. Well, I'll settle for that I could pass off as Australian according to her

Old 11-16-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
My fiancee says my English accent needs work....I sound too Australian. Well, I'll settle for that I could pass off as Australian according to her
I came across both a lot of Brits and Australians on my September trip to Florida and it's very easy for me to tell the difference; I don't understand how some Americans can confuse them. I also saw a British woman at a Disney waterpark totally freaking out and panicking during an afternoon thunderstorm with her kids crying hysterically (I told the story in another thread). Call me mean but I thought the panicking and crying with the Brit accent sounded "cute" and funny.

Last edited by AdriannaSmiling; 11-16-2013 at 04:14 PM..

Old 11-16-2013, 04:10 PM

218 posts, read 376,320 times
Quote:
Call me mean but I thought the packing and crying with the Brit accent sounded "cute" and funny.
Yeah, you do come off as a lunatic. These "climate battles" are just ridiculous/irrelevant/pointless/etc.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:24 PM

2,467 posts, read 2,621,647 times
London has a pleasant climate, Mecca not so much

Old 11-16-2013, 05:31 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
I came across both a lot of Brits and Australians on my September trip to Florida and it's very easy for me to tell the difference; I don't understand how some Americans can confuse them. I also saw a British woman at a Disney waterpark totally freaking out and panicking during an afternoon thunderstorm with her kids crying hysterically (I told the story in another thread). Call me mean but I thought the panicking and crying with the Brit accent sounded "cute" and funny.
yeah I always think it's so cute hearing little kids speaking with a foreign English accent or a foreign language altogether (I get a smile on my face hearing little kids speaking in Korean, Japanese, and Chinese) and I think British accents on kids is adorable as well.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:37 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,689,589 times
You won't find it cute when you hear the ones with the northern accents and f-ing and blinding that goes on around here.

Afterall there is no such thing as a "british accent".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather