U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 09:12 PM

1,953 posts, read 2,270,714 times

Advertisements

Do you like Washington yDC?

The Cherry Blossom Festival 2013 - Spring in Washington DC - On 4/10/2013. - YouTube

Last edited by Rozenn; 11-19-2013 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: Off topic
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 10:08 PM

22,089 posts, read 23,288,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by japanese001 View Post
Do you like Washington DC?
I live in the metropolitan area. So, the answer would be yes. :-)

It looks like people are saying that part of Japan has almost the same climate as Washington, D.C.? If so, which city in particular?

Old 11-16-2013, 10:15 PM

1,800 posts, read 2,670,815 times
Parts of Australia have 4 seasons, Victoria and Tasmania. Winter may not be quite as cold at ground level but we do get some snow in the mountains. In Tasmania we had a sprinkling of snow at ground level this year.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:18 PM

5,929 posts, read 9,486,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by non-creep View Post
Disagree. Western Europe is much wetter all year round and much more temperate. The summers are considerably hotter in the US northeast and drier. Winters are considerably colder with far more likelihood of snow. Western Europe is warned by the Gulf Stream.

Argentina is also much much more temperate than the east coast, and the places that get a bit cold (but stii, usuhaia, one of the coldest cities in arg, is as cold as new york in winter, most of the cities in arg are much more warmer than ny in winter) in winter, arent even hot in summer, cause they are in the patagonia. True 4 seasons do not exist in this country, like in the east coast.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:20 PM

5,929 posts, read 9,486,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
The only country that is similar to strictly the east coast states (east of the Appalachian Mountains) is Japan, and Japan only. When you get west of the Appalachians, the climate becomes much more similar to the Korean Peninsula and China. The similarities with China stop at the Sierra Nevada mountains and west of the Sierra Nevada the climates become more similar to Europe (in particular to Spain, Portugal, and France)

Fabio, none of Europe is similar to the east coast USA. When it comes to climate, which side the ocean is in relation to you is very important and greatly influences the climate. In your country, the closest the climate is to the east coast US is Rio Grande do Sul to São Paulo (Miami or Key West)

I'll also add northeast Argentina is similar as well, and Uruguay.
oh, i thought he meant northern east coast as in a 4 season climate.

Northeast argentina, the pampas, uruguay, or southern brazil, are nothing like a 4 season climate, they are very temperate and usually have 2 seasons (hot and not that hot)

Old 11-16-2013, 11:18 PM

30,618 posts, read 29,629,498 times
Seems like parts of eastern europe, the caucasus, japan, and korea have similar climates.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:55 PM

20,758 posts, read 17,052,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Seems like parts of eastern europe, the caucasus, japan, and korea have similar climates.
Russia has clear-cut four seasons, just without the "summer beach hot weather," when you can't survive without air conditioner. The air is dry for the most part unlike in the US, be that summer or winter.
Ukraine has similar climate ( just shorter and milder winters somewhat and hotter summers,) and I always thought that Germany ( at least) had four clear-cut seasons; most likely the rest of Northern continental Europe ( plus Scandinavian counties as well, just with colder, shorter summers.)

Old 11-17-2013, 01:17 AM

36 posts, read 64,399 times
Let's not forget New Zealand. Particularly the South Island, which also has four distinct seasons like the East Coast: a warm summer, colourful autumn, snowy and wet winter and spring.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:56 AM

1,911 posts, read 2,789,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Argentina is also much much more temperate than the east coast, and the places that get a bit cold (but stii, usuhaia, one of the coldest cities in arg, is as cold as new york in winter, most of the cities in arg are much more warmer than ny in winter) in winter, arent even hot in summer, cause they are in the patagonia. True 4 seasons do not exist in this country, like in the east coast.
I've never been to Argentina but I've always wondered how cold it gets in Patagonia during summer (winter). It looks like it gets pretty cold there, but not as extreme as the equivalent latitudes north on the North American continent.

Is there a similar climatic effect to the North Atlantic Gulf Stream to moderate temperatures?

Old 11-17-2013, 05:21 AM

25,058 posts, read 25,522,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
oh, i thought he meant northern east coast as in a 4 season climate.

Northeast argentina, the pampas, uruguay, or southern brazil, are nothing like a 4 season climate, they are very temperate and usually have 2 seasons (hot and not that hot)
There's 4 seasons even in Georgia. A lot of people outside of the US don't seem to know that it does get cold in the southern US. Maybe not all the time, but it does. Winter is still winter, even if it's in the low 10s or single digits °C for a few weeks.

Would my city not be a 4 season climate? I think we've had this debate in the Weather forum before. It was less than 0°C in my city last week, but yesterday it was 16°C and today will be 17°C. Do I live in a 4 season climate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather