Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 10:34 AM

2,043 posts, read 3,885,512 times

Advertisements

Can someone explain why 50 F in the sun feels so much warmer than 55 F under cloudy skies, in the shade, or after dark even with no wind and why there is no such thing as "sun warmth factor" to take this in account?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 11:14 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
Can someone explain why 50 F in the sun feels so much warmer than 55 F under cloudy skies, in the shade, or after dark even with no wind and why there is no such thing as "sun warmth factor" to take this in account?
Your asking us why the yellow ball in the sky is warm?

There is the heat index and apparent temp which factors just that. but the criteria is higher because 55 degrees is not considered warm when you need the heat on with that temp.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:21 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Sun's rays hit your skin, making it feel warmer than it is. If you ever get the chance, come to the Mid-Atlantic states in winter when it's sunny and around freezing. Sit in your car without your jacket on, and you start to feel the sun's warmth on your skin

Old 11-17-2013, 12:33 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,507,470 times
I'm glad someone else said this because I didn't want to sound stupid. I agree because no matter how cold it is, the sun will make it feel at least 10 degrees warmer than the actual temperature. If it's in 30s with sunshine and no wind, it can actually feel a little warm.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:03 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
Thanks for bringing this up. It is exactly what is happening here in NJ.

Yesterday it was 59 F with brilliant sunshine which felt quite warm. Most people at the university were wearing t shirts or tank tops with sunglasses & jeans like it was late summer.

Today it was actually warmer at 61 F, but with rain and wind. I saw very few people dressed up in such light summer like clothing (except myself, since I love the refreshing and damp 60 F air on my skin ).

Sunlight is not the only factor however, it also has to do with wind and humidity present. A calm 50 F day with brilliant sunshine and high humidity feels more like the mid 60's. However, a windy 50 F day with clouds and high humidity feels more like the low 40's. This is the conduction and convection component impacting how temperature feels.

Another additional factor to consider is that during midday, the sun is actually providing the maximum radiant energy to the ground, hence you tend to receive much more solar energy on your body and hence feel much warmer during this time of the day. By contrast, on a clear pitch dark night the ground is losing radiant energy which makes temperatures feel much colder than they actually are.

For more info, refer to the Bioheat Equation lecture, which is a complex partial differential equation. I love Solving PDE's and their qualitative analysis. Makes me so excited once I arrive at a solution. .

http://www3.nd.edu/~msen/Teaching/BioHT/BioEqn.pdf

Old 11-17-2013, 04:34 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,686,527 times
Its;s called the UV index. Solar radiation 'n' all that.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:14 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,885,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Your asking us why the yellow ball in the sky is warm?

There is the heat index and apparent temp which factors just that. but the criteria is higher because 55 degrees is not considered warm when you need the heat on with that temp.
I just noticed that around noon, it's around 55 here and it feels warm in the direct sun. Sun goes down around 5PM and it's around 60 around sunset. Yet, it feels cooler at sunset than in the direct sun at noon.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:53 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Yes, I've also observed that the sun has the ability to create a feeling of warmth.

Glad it's not just me that noticed .... I thought I was going crazy.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:04 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,171 times
The weather here the last week or so has been much cloudier and wetter than the last 3-4 months.

Even though the published maximums are similar, days with sunshine feel considerably warmer. I guess temperatures are measured in the shade (correct me anyone if I am wrong) so presumably to create a standardised measure?

Old 11-18-2013, 05:29 AM

29,505 posts, read 19,602,720 times
Sun angle also makes a difference. Sitting out in the sun in Miami at 85 degrees is different then sitting out in the sun in Chicago at the same temperature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather