Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 10:19 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,448,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Yeah, kind of. Has slightly cooler daytime highs in winter and cold snaps seem a bit stronger (although Knoxville has a colder record low).

Seems to get more storms as well.
According to the NCDC normals, Nashville only averages 1.5 more thunderstorm days per year than Knoxville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
Nashville does get more storms, but I wonder about summer only. Central Tennessee is more prone to spring supercells and squall lines with fronts, while it seems East Tennessee might actually get more of the non-severe afternoon pulse storms that I prefer. Knoxville is a bit wetter June-August.
As you can see, I was correct in my assumption that Knoxville holds a small advantage in summer, particularly July, while Nashville is slightly ahead the rest of the year. The overall difference in frequency is not really significant.

There's a greater disparity between Lexington and Louisville, 39.8 vs 46.7 respectively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 02:05 AM

4,629 posts, read 3,391,398 times
Las Palmas in the Canary Islands is pretty ideal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_Palmas#Climate

Another good one for me is Medellin, Colombia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medell...hy_and_climate

Old 09-17-2016, 04:25 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,684,161 times
My Taste in Climates does change a bit.
I still like mildly warm comfortable climates, as i did before.
But continental climates appeal to me nowadays aswell.

After a cold winter the first 20°C day will feel special.
To have cold but sunny winters followed by nearly tropical summers with plenty of heat is nice.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Louis#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas...ssouri#Climate

The negative point with these climates is how much destructive and dangerous weather they are able do get.
And also the rather mediocre scenery that makes the strong continentality in the midwest possible.

Old 09-17-2016, 09:51 PM

384 posts, read 383,138 times
I don't know much about the climates in other countries, but I'd say Miami is right for me.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:34 AM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times
I envy any climate that is similar to ours but which is less humid especially in fall and winter. I am tired of sweating.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:10 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Las Palmas in the Canary Islands is pretty ideal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_Palmas#Climate

Another good one for me is Medellin, Colombia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medell...hy_and_climate
You already live in an ideal climate! 😉

Old 09-19-2016, 06:15 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,920,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Two reason that stop me from liking tropical climates. First is I love summer, summer has its own special atmosphere. If it's summer all year summer just loses its uniqueness, it loses its beauty and what makes summer summer. Second reason is I like getting blue dome skies, with low humidity and a beautiful sun in winter. I lose the beautiful sunny comfortable days. There is a lot to lose in a tropical climate.
“What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness.” ― John Steinbeck

Old 09-19-2016, 12:18 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,784,549 times
I envy any climate which has no snow. Has a decent amount of rain, and decent summers.

Old 09-19-2016, 01:02 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
I envy any climate which has no snow. Has a decent amount of rain, and decent summers.
Do you envy coastal BC climates like Tofino or Victoria? I know their summers can be pretty lackluster.

Old 09-19-2016, 01:22 PM

1,772 posts, read 1,503,304 times
My envy is more about certain weather situatons, when nearby places with a similar climate get thunderstorms, snow, heatwaves etc. and my location misses out on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather