Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 07:58 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
I spent most of my childhood between a mild Csa climate (Nice, during school periods) and a Dsb climate (second home in the Alps, the rest of the time).

My parents told me that I've always complained about winter in Nice pretty much since I've had the ability to speak and always looked forward to our amazing summer. I also quite liked spending winter vacations in the Dsb climate thanks to the snow which always fascinated me. The fall there depressed me though (cold, gloomy).

What really triggered my interest in weather though was that when I was a teenager I went to Montreal in mid summer and really appreciated as a city and even considered moving there some day until many locals told me how cold and depressing it was in winter, and that people had underground streets because it's too cold to walk outside, etc.
That's the moment I realized how extremely important climate is to the quality of life (to me anyway) and started looking at the averages for cities around the world, trying to find a city that I'd like and that would have year-round warm weather. That's when I got very interested in Singapore and that's one of the reasons that led me to apply to an exchange program a few years later to experience what it is like to live there for a few months. I absolutely loved and enjoyed experiencing 30°C days every day in January which confirmed my love for tropical climates.
Unfortunately for you, having a good quality of life and having a warm climate year round without freezes is only limited to Singapore and Australia. Well, there are still the DOMs and COMs of France, but looks like finding work is a bit of a problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 08:58 AM

3,500 posts, read 2,784,549 times
My weather interest came in stages.

First of all in the 1990's I got into tornadoes and thunderstorms partly due to the movie "Twister".

Than at about 2002 I got really into tropical areas as by then I loathed the snow and cold.

In 2009 I sundenly got very interested in cool wet areas like coastal BC and coastal Norway. At around the same time I began coming here.

Now I'm constantly obsesing about my dream climate and places like it. Ironically my dream combines my weather desires from 2002 and 2009.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:00 AM

3,500 posts, read 2,784,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post

When I got into 5th grade or so, I started drawing maps of the U.S. or local areas and doing my own made up weather maps. No internet back then so didnt know about models, etc. Usually made up weather involved something dramatic, blizzard, tornadoes, etc. In the summer, I woud love forecasting snow storms to hit Moncton New Brunswick as I knew that location got frequent heavy snows in the winter. I knew it wasnt winter up there too, but still could dream in the summer.

Dan
Unfortantly it does.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:25 AM

865 posts, read 1,076,341 times
I'm not sure that there was any event that lead into an interest in the weather. I come from a very boring climatic region of the world and when we went on holiday it was either within Britain or to hot and sunny Mediterranean destinations, so I probably just started fetishising 'interesting' weather at some point. I've always loved snow, though. So that is likely to have played a part in it.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:51 AM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
I was struck by lightening once. Lost about 10 minutes out of my life, and my feet are now compelled to run inside when storms come.

Do it all be themselves, too; I just hang on.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:52 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,448,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
having a good quality of life and having a warm climate year round without freezes is only limited to Singapore and Australia.
You don't like Miami?

Old 11-23-2013, 12:38 PM

1,244 posts, read 1,295,082 times
When I was about 8 years old, I learned to ski, and I discovered I loved snow more than anything else. It basically spiraled from there.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:13 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
Unfortantly it does.
LOL Yes I was and still am big into geography....city locations, other countries, you name it. I love tracking all sorts of weather regardless of where it is at. Though obviously easier when it is in Canada or the U.S. Not a big tropical weather person as my focus as usually been on the cold season. As for regarding New Brunswick I would waiver between giving the big snows to Fredericton or Moncton or in between up to Bathurst.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:27 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
I worked at a seasonal firm and the weather affected the sales. Then I just became addicted.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:34 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Then I just became addicted.
How ?

With all the data you post, I expect a longer story Ariete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather