Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you do what those two guys did in the video?
Yes 4 12.90%
No 27 87.10%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 12:02 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,361,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I'm convinced that's just a myth lol. I never feel comfortably warm when running (from the cold). Whereas running in the heat creates a breeze.
Lol, I think "creating a breeze" is more of a myth than warming up from running in the cold....I've ran in 20 F weather before, and even felt borderline hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I can get too warm if I'm running in the cold after a while, depending on how much I'm wearing.
Ditto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 12:12 PM

2,714 posts, read 3,043,461 times
No i wouldn't do this at all.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:34 PM

839 posts, read 3,073,210 times
I agree with others in that I like the fact that, in the cold, you can enjoy a perfect warmth very easily. So no, I couldn't swim in that cold water.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:23 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Done that. It's not too bad. And actually, it's good for your health. After you get over the initial shock, it doesn't feel that cold. Well, cold, yes, but not unbearable. And when you rise up from the water, it just tickles and feels warm. You don't even need a towel or a hot bath. Prolonged exposure is your fate, not a dip in icy water. You should try it sometimes, the sensation is very hard to describe.

And I'm no cold lover.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:32 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,361,458 times
^^ How is it good for your health? Not disputing you, I'm just curious. Sounds interesting.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:40 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,887,266 times
NO...I once tried swimming in an outdoor unheated pool on a chilly May afternoon when it was in the low 60s: jumped in and came right back out and took a shower. Ive also tried swimming in out local beaches in summer when the air temp was around 70 and the water was around 64 and couldn't stay all the way in for more than a couple of minutes. I can't imagine swimming in subfreezing air temps. I like moderate cold but need to dress warmly for it.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:44 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,204,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
^^ How is it good for your health? Not disputing you, I'm just curious. Sounds interesting.
I believe its also part of Finnish culture to do ice swimming. I read that somewhere in a travel magazine while traveling in 1st class .

Old 11-26-2013, 07:19 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times
I like the feel of cold air on my face, not cold water on my entire body. Although I've never tried it myself and it does sound intriguing, I don't think I'd take too well to polar bear swimming. I much prefer the combination of hot water and cold air than both cold water and cold air if I'm swimming in it; if I'm not swimming in it the colder the better, since it helps to cut down on the warmth and humidity that comes off of bodies of water and enables easier freezing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I'm convinced that's just a myth lol. I never feel comfortably warm when running (from the cold). Whereas running in the heat creates a breeze.
A breeze? All that does is blow more stinky humidity and bugs in my face when it's humid, or has no effect at all if it's dry. I can also assure you that the warm up due to physical exertion is no myth; if I'm acclimatized to subzero weather and I exert myself when it's 40F with bright sunshine, it feels like 80-90F outside (except that I'm not heat-stressed in it and the air I breathe in feels cooler ). Below 20F the air always feels cold when I breathe it in, though it is possible for me to get sweated and heated up when exerting myself even when it's below 0F, provided I'm properly dressed.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:07 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Your body reacts strongly to the cold and puts it in "motion". Your heart and bloodstream system has to work harder, it's a bit like physical exercise. It also helps aching muscles.

A more disputed benefit is that it trains your immune system, and you're less likely to catch a flu. This hasn't been clinically confirmed, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I believe its also part of Finnish culture to do ice swimming. I read that somewhere in a travel magazine while traveling in 1st class .
It is.

I can't say I like ice swimming, but it's not actually as bad as it would seem. And a good test for overcoming your fears.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:16 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,204,961 times
^^ I really want to visit Finland one day. Seems to be an amazing place. Whats the main mode of transportation up there. Cars, buses, or trains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather