Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2013, 04:57 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,730,067 times

Advertisements

Great photos again, some of the last ones look kinda Scottish. That being said, I'll take any Scottish climate over Point Reyes'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
BTW, I didn't know maquis was the French name for macchia, you learn something new every day. I know what the Maquis were, though.
Apparently, it comes from a corsican expression, "to take the maquis", to seek refuge in uninhabited land (in Corsica, the maquis) in order to escape the authorities. Though the most famous Maquis wasn't in the maquis:
https://maps.google.fr/maps?q=vassie...=12,156,,0,0.3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 09:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Great photos again, some of the last ones look kinda Scottish. That being said, I'll take any Scottish climate over Point Reyes'.
Scotland is subpar since Point Reyes has much better weather for bicycling, though near-constant fog in parts would get tedious. Do the landscapes of my photos look similar at all to Mediterranean France?

Old 12-26-2013, 12:31 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,387,390 times
Festive house in NOTL yesterday:

Here's another pic:
DSC08578b.JPG

Old 12-26-2013, 01:14 PM

1,759 posts, read 1,878,721 times
These weren't taken by me but they illustrate what's going on with temperatures this year.

2012:

2013:

2012:

2013:

With temperatures climbing to 7-8°C, record highs for specific dates are being recorded in different locations quite frequently. Grass is green, flowers are blooming, several tree species have buds, bears aren't going into hibernation. This is late April weather in December and nature doesn't know what the hell is going on.

Last edited by Hiromant; 12-26-2013 at 02:35 PM..

Old 12-26-2013, 04:59 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,730,067 times
^^ Doesn't look like midwinter at 59°N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Scotland is subpar since Point Reyes has much better weather for bicycling, though near-constant fog in parts would get tedious. Do the landscapes of my photos look similar at all to Mediterranean France?
Mmh, Point Reyes is probably too windy. I don't like cycling in coastal areas because of this. The chaparral ones look familiar. The rest looks too "northern". It really has an oceanic feeling more than mediterranean to me.

Here's a windy cape in the French Med, close to Spain. It sometimes gets 200 km/h+ winds. Doesn't look too dissimilar:
Cap Béar

Further inland, you don't have grassy areas like in your shots, just scrubs or forest (when not cultivated). Mostly pines and oaks.
Corbières
Maures 1
Maures 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humid Subtropical View Post
Festive house in NOTL yesterday:
Someone love Christmas! A much more modest one spotted today. Still sticks out like a sore thumb.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:03 PM

29,513 posts, read 19,612,482 times
Last night at my sister in-law's house for Christmas dinner.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:23 PM

2,617 posts, read 3,454,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Last night at my sister in-law's house for Christmas dinner.
But I have ridiculously warm winter weather now. -1C right now, at night, and not much snow on ground.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:45 PM

584 posts, read 576,080 times
Heading into town

Not a lot of snow once you get down into the valley

Old 12-28-2013, 10:10 AM

29,513 posts, read 19,612,482 times
^^

Beautiful.

The view from my buddy's condo

Old 12-29-2013, 07:51 AM

83,511 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Hostel I stayed at:

A couple said they saw a coyote on the hiking trails nearby, another said he saw two mountain lions sitting on a trail! He walked off trail around them... Coastal fog in the distance. First day in California I noticed fog. Can't be sunny all the time:

nice clear sky right here:

Roadside forest:

still nice and green here:

ferns at the bottom:

a peek at the hillsides:

now at the bottom. Going towards a wall of fog:

entering:

The water is the Tomales Bay. The San Andreas Fault lies underneath it. I'm on the Pacific Plate, other side is the North American plate.

fog

ranch country:

hill coming up looks steep:

more foggy hillsides:

Now on a hiking trail. Some flowers lingering on:

Not many people out here:

close up:

interesting erosion:

fog added character. Nice change after days and days of sunshine.

Their skin looks off:

sun peeking through the clouds:

some elk in the way of the trail:

surprised a few. Wait for them to pass?

crossing out of the way:

tomales bay again:

cypress trees at the trailhead

from the inside of an old diary barn

sunset:
Holy smokes!! Awesome pics man. The short subtitles helped a lot. I was scrolling down slowly reading and looking at the first set of pics....and just when I was about to reply "this one is my favorite" they just got better and better. There's too many that I really liked. Then this second set came along. Wow. The advection fog was awesome! The water and cliffs. The isolated areas. You're a lucky guy for being able to do this and thanks so much for coming in here and sharing with us!

Here's a pic I took when I was there in the mid 90s. Fishermans Warf, Alcatraz, boat ride, those city hills are memorable, I think Katalina Island was off there too. Had a good time.

Attached Thumbnails
Winter 2014 Photo Thread-ss12.jpg  

Last edited by Cambium; 12-29-2013 at 08:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather