Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 08:23 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times

Advertisements

This is a question mainly for those close to the sea or large body of water, but replies from anywhere would still be interesting.

What is the difference between the daily minimum air temperature and sea temperature, during winter and summer where you are?.

For here during the middle of winter, the average sea temperature is 11-12C/24F warmer than the average daily minimum air temperature, and during summer the average sea temperature is 6-7 degrees warmer than the average daily minimum air temperature. Only official temperatures please.

I'm trying to figure out how consistent the effect of sea temperatures is on minimum air temperatures. The idea that Oceanic climates have cool nights because of cooler seas, doesn't really add up to me, but if the differnce between the two has a degree of uniformity worldwide, that would make more sense.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:36 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
I would say in my area (on the coast, but not an oceanic climate - more of a hybrid between a continental and warm temperate climate) it would go like this:

In the middle of winter the average sea temperate is about 20 F warmer than the average daily minimum air temperature.

During summer the average sea temp is only about 5 F warmer than the daily July minimum.

I think all climates that straddle the edge of the coast have some degree of coolness in summer due to the effect of the cooler ocean (unless one is in the Red Sea I guess - lol).

Old 12-06-2013, 08:46 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I would say in my area (on the coast, but not an oceanic climate - more of a hybrid between a continental and warm temperate climate) it would go like this:

In the middle of winter the average sea temperate is about 20 F warmer than the average daily minimum air temperature.

During summer the average sea temp is only about 5 F warmer than the daily July minimum.

I think all climates that straddle the edge of the coast have some degree of coolness in summer due to the effect of the cooler ocean (unless one is in the Red Sea I guess - lol).
Thanks. Your winter difference looks similar to here, but your summer one is quiet a bit lower.

It will be interesting to see if climates within the same classification, share similar ratios.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:18 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Joe I assume you mean the water within the first 50 miles or so off the coast, so for a place like Atlantic City (city site not inland airport) the difference in summer is around 5F. In winter assuming 50F water diff is around 20F. The water right off the coast for a few miles is more like 40F, but then it warms up rapidly.

Here is the typical diff in water temps offshore in winter. The latest image they had for composites was from 2008. The warmer waters of the gulf stream is why we get those really deep coastal lows that can also form snow bombs.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:26 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,204,961 times
Usually 15-20 F. Water right now is in the upper 40s at sandy hook and low 50s near cape may. When I last checked today afternoon, long branch recorded 49 F, Manahawkin was at 51 F, and sea isle city was placed at 48 F. Surprisingly the south jersey shore is a lot cooler.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:48 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,321 times
I live in the middle of the North American continent now, but I used to live in Kuwait which is on the Persian Gulf. However, it's a shallow, small body of water.
Mean January minimum is 7 C, and sea temperature 13 C.
Mean July minimum is 32 C and sea temperature is around 30 C.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:34 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I'm trying to figure out how consistent the effect of sea temperatures is on minimum air temperatures. The idea that Oceanic climates have cool nights because of cooler seas, doesn't really add up to me, but if the differnce between the two has a degree of uniformity worldwide, that would make more sense.
What some people forget is the wind factor. Here on the Northeast coast water temps have no effect in air temps if the winds are coming from the North or NorthWest. Water temps do not control the air above especially over land. The other factor is clouds. If you get a clear night, goodbye warm air at the surface.

With that said... My minimums go as low as teens with water temps still in the 40/50sF. And in the summer can go as low as 50s with water temps in the 70s. It's all dependent on current weather factors.

Using what I have handy right now is current. Shaded map on left is the temps at 4000 feet up in C°.
Numbers on map are the actual surface temps F°
On the right are the water temps I added the degrees in F°

As you can see, the flow is from the NorthWest now and temps at the 4000 foot level are dropping below freezing over the waters which in turns drops the surface temps as well. I'm in the upper 20s here near the coast while the water temps are upper 40s.

These are the times when water temps don't matter much. Sure there's an effect (that's called thermal gradient) You can even see Long Island and the coast. Low 30s not much different from upper 20s right now.

Atlantic City New Jersey at 29°F while water temp is 46 degrees.

Attached Thumbnails
Difference Between Air and Sea Temperature-map263.jpg  

Old 12-07-2013, 06:45 AM

3,990 posts, read 3,397,329 times
On the Croatian coast (bordeline Cfa/Csa), the sea temperature is typically 4-6 C warmer than the summer minimum, while in winter it is similar, but perhaps a bit higher, from 5 to 7 C in the south to 6 to 9 C in the north.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:49 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,651,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksolina View Post
On the Croatian coast (bordeline Cfa/Csa), the sea temperature is typically 4-6 C warmer than the summer minimum, while in winter it is similar, but perhaps a bit higher, from 5 to 7 C in the south to 6 to 9 C in the north.
Do you know how cold the Adriatic can get in really cold months like January 1985 and February 2012? I may be completely wrong but I still imagine it being fairly mild, hence the heavy 'lake-effect' snow when it meets the cold air.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:06 AM

3,990 posts, read 3,397,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Do you know how cold the Adriatic can get in really cold months like January 1985 and February 2012? I may be completely wrong but I still imagine it being fairly mild, hence the heavy 'lake-effect' snow when it meets the cold air.
In such cold months, the shoreline freezes, but the sea further from the coast rarely falls below 10c (the record cold sea temperature in Rijeka is 9.6c, and 13.4c in Dubrovnik). The coast is rarely cold enough for making a snow cover. The warm, humid Adriatic air and the cold, dry continental air clash in the mountains between Mediterranean and Continental Croatia, not in the Adriatic part (although the northern part is very close to it). For example, Zavižan, peak of the coastal Velebit chain, gets from 150 - 220 mm of precipitation in every winter month, and the snow cover is usually above 200 cm from January to March, with the record being 322 cm this winter).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather