Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you hate winter?
Yes 97 43.89%
No 124 56.11%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 11:21 AM

302 posts, read 368,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I love it, and am moving to the midwest where there's REAL winters! My aunt moved from Florida to Nebraska, where it can go from 40s to below 0 in just a few hours, and she loves it. Says all you need is a good coat and such and it's easier to adapt than heat. She's lived her whole life in tropical weather, nothing colder than 40s and 30s btw. She wasn't as big a fan of cold but loves it now.

Of course I love stormy kind of weather in general, whether it's a summer thunderstorm or a blizzard. Sunshine obviously is great, but I like some cold and some rain/snow to break up the mundanity.

So yes, I love winter, provided it's cold, and if there's snow, even better!

Wait until you slip for the ummmteenth time in hard, cold ice or have frostbite in your nose hairs / eyes /lips and fingers !

You'll be dreaming of sunny FL and shorts

BUT go ahead , you get what u wish for
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 01:25 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,363,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintmj nyc View Post

Wait until you slip for the ummmteenth time in hard, cold ice or have frostbite in your nose hairs / eyes /lips and fingers !

You'll be dreaming of sunny FL and shorts

BUT go ahead , you get what u wish for
Does it not occur to you that other people might have different preferences from you.

For christs' sake

Old 01-31-2014, 01:45 PM

302 posts, read 368,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Does it not occur to you that other people might have different preferences from you.

For christs' sake

Of course ! But I wouldn't sell the farm if I was her - even just to have a place to escape the " lovely " mid west winters

Old 01-31-2014, 06:45 PM

457 posts, read 693,815 times
I love winter. I love the cold and the snow. The only thing I hate about winter is how short the days are. Seasonal depression, for me, usually kicks in around mid-January. If winter daylight hours were like summer I'd be perfectly happy in a cool climate.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:05 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltforSin View Post
I love winter. I love the cold and the snow. The only thing I hate about winter is how short the days are. Seasonal depression, for me, usually kicks in around mid-January. If winter daylight hours were like summer I'd be perfectly happy in a cool climate.
Should move to Flagstaff or something.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:05 PM

607 posts, read 1,373,160 times
I prefer winters over summers - with winters, you can layer up to keep yourself warm. You can't exactly take off that many layers to keep yourself cool in the summertime.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:46 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Yes, very much so. I absolutely despise any kind of cold. And this winter is one of the worst I've experienced.

Snowstorms are the only thing I like about winter, but I hate when the snow sticks around for longer than a day or two, which is usually the case. No one likes brown/black slush.
I know what you mean about the discolored snow after it's been there a while. However, I disagree, as I find it better than no snow at all. It's still pretty in its own way. This winter has actually made me like cold and snow even more than I used to in the sense that I feel I just need even more of it than I needed before.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:03 PM

387 posts, read 408,525 times
Winter is a waste. If you keep yourself in shape you'd want to be seen imo. Plus the hassle of having to shovel snow and let your car warm up. I could be dropped off in the desert or rain forest and would absolutely love it.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:27 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,667,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomchee View Post
Winter is a waste. If you keep yourself in shape you'd want to be seen imo. Plus the hassle of having to shovel snow and let your car warm up. I could be dropped off in the desert or rain forest and would absolutely love it.
I totally agree.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:38 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
getting sick of it...though the supposedly cold NY winter this year is still nicer by far than any Chicago winter I ever experienced. I generally don't like highs under 45.
January was so back and forth it wasn't that far from normal, I think only 2F below normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
This January has been very up and down. Half well above normal, half well below normal. Jan 2004 was the coldest month in recent memory, averaging 5°F than this month. But it had the same number of days with highs below 20°F as this January:

Weather History for Central Park, NY | Weather Underground

Weather History for Central Park, NY | Weather Underground

Note Jan 7, 2014 had an afternoon temperature of 10°F, if it had been warmer overnight before, it would have been a very cold day for the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather