Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you hate winter?
Yes 97 43.89%
No 124 56.11%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 10:18 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times

Advertisements

It's not my favourite season, but I quite like winter.

It means skiing and is also the best time for surfing around here.

For those in milder climates, it's also a great time for fruit -oranges, guava, avocados etc. That really is one of the highlights of winter for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 10:24 AM

3,500 posts, read 2,784,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
It's not my favourite season, but I quite like winter.

It means skiing and is also the best time for surfing around here.

For those in milder climates, it's also a great time for fruit -oranges, guava, avocados etc. That really is one of the highlights of winter for me.
That is the type of winter I like. Out of curiousity when you say it's a great time to fruit are you talking about your location?

Old 12-12-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
That is the type of winter I like. Out of curiousity when you say it's a great time to fruit are you talking about your location?
Yep. A big range of subtropical fruit can be grown here. I've only been at this property for a year or so, but one year old orange trees were still able to produce a few shopping bags of oranges. The place also came with wild passionfruit, which I've just about got beat.

I've put a few macadamias and avocados in as well, but won't put anything else in until I've got water sorted. (our dam got washed away during a downpour).

Here's a photo of what's left of the dam, with a one year old orange tree. That's about early august.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you hate winter?-gedc0365.jpg  

Last edited by Joe90; 12-12-2013 at 11:02 AM..

Old 12-12-2013, 10:39 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
I like winter if it would be shorter. We seldom get the heavy disrupting blizzards that immobilize the whole country. Neither get we frequent freeze-thaws that makes pavements icy and create other hazardous conditions. Traffic runs smoothly, houses are well insulated, maintenance is good...

What's there not to like?

Old 12-12-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Yep. A big range of subtropical fruit can be grown here. I've only been at this property for a year or so, but one year old orange trees were still able to produce a few shopping bags of oranges.
I would have thought your winter would be a bit too cool to have much gardening done in the winter, as usually it seems that at a 9C and below average winter temperature things seem a bit more dead.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
I would have thought your winter would be a bit too cool to have much gardening done in the winter, as usually it seems that at a 9C and below average winter temperature things seem a bit more dead.
Average in the coldest month is 7.6C and with frequent frost, but that is still warm enough to grow things like potatoes and lettuces, as the sun is still warm, and their are frequent warm fronts with heavy rain, which keep the ground warm. The grass still needs to be cut during winter.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Average in the coldest month is 7.6C and with frequent frost, but that is still warm enough to grow things like potatoes and lettuces, as the sun is still warm, and their are frequent warm fronts with heavy rain, which keep the ground warm. The grass still needs to be cut during winter.
If only my winter was warm enough to grow fruits instead of the snowy freezing winter weather I get.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
If only my winter was warm enough to grow fruits instead of the snowy freezing winter weather I get.
Yes, as much as I like snow, I wouldn't want to live where it falls.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:54 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Never love or hate anything that can't love or hate you back.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:02 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,441 times
Quote:
I hate hate hate winter and all that goes with it. Horrible snow and cold, freezing temperatures, runny noses, never ending shovelling, dead landscape, unsafe driving conditions, ice storms etc. I so prefer fall like weather for the winter but where I'm at that's never gonna happen.

Do you hate winter?
No..But I don't relish the possibility of being stranded on the road. we just plan accoringly. We chose to live where we are and for the time being will simply accept the accompanying weather. In all honesty, we have 4 seasons where we are and I like that. NOW, if I were in an area where it is wintry for most of the year, I would change my tune.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather