Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Battle of Frigid climates: Minot, ND Vs. Omsk, Russia
Minot, ND 12 66.67%
Omsk, Russia 6 33.33%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 09:50 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times

Advertisements

Here is more climate data for Minot from the High Plains Regional Climate Center for the Minot Ag station located just south of town...it has records back to 1905

MINOT EXPERIMENT STN, ND - Climate Summary

Coldest I saw more recently was -47 in 1987.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 12:16 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Here is more climate data for Minot from the High Plains Regional Climate Center for the Minot Ag station located just south of town...it has records back to 1905

MINOT EXPERIMENT STN, ND - Climate Summary

Coldest I saw more recently was -47 in 1987.
NO KIDDING. You have 100 + F record highs in May . That's unheard of in NJ. The record high here for May is 96 F.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
NO KIDDING. You have 100 + F record highs in May . That's unheard of in NJ. The record high here for May is 96 F.
Welcome the variability of the northern plains..... normal temps here are just a statistical number....on any given day the true normal range is often about 10 degrees either side of that normal number.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Welcome the variability of the northern plains..... normal temps here are just a statistical number....on any given day the true normal range is often about 10 degrees either side of that normal number.
Do you also get a lot of wind in the northern plains, and can you experience both extremes on the same day.

Example is the very rare Hi 69/ Lo 31 we had here in October this year. Such wide diurnal ranges are very uncommon in my area. In fact, it was one of the largest diurnal variations ever recorded in NJ.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Do you also get a lot of wind in the northern plains, and can you experience both extremes on the same day.

Example is the very rare Hi 69/ Lo 31 we had here in October this year. Such wide diurnal ranges are very uncommon in my area. In fact, it was one of the largest diurnal variations ever recorded in NJ.
Extreme temps in one day is not common....not impossible though as many parts of the country due to cold front passage, etc.

More recently we had an arctic front passed...it was 31F at midnight and by 6 am it was down to around 8F.
But having a record high and a record low on the same day probably not as our extremes on both ends are very wide.

Yes, we are in a windy location on many days. Rare are calm wind days. We are not as windy as say the foothills on the lee of the Rockies such as Lethbridge AB, or Great Falls, Boulder.... but wind is a constant factor here no matter what season. I would say summer overall there is less, outside of thunderstorms of course, due to lack of fronts, lows nearby (the doldrums of summer).

I dont find the weather that bad....after I all I wanted to move here, but you do get the variety for sure. Yesterday was in the 20sF with sunshine, then the next cold front moved through in the evening with snow shower and blowing snow with winds to 40 mph....then today it is cloudy and temps holding around -3F during the mid afternoon with wind chills 20 to 25 below. Kind of blah weather....nothing too exciting....

Old 12-19-2013, 02:01 PM

I would say October too here is a month with the most daily variations in high and low temps. As in many cases, the airmass is dry and clear and can cool down at night, but then a warmer airmass with sun moves in during the day. So in those cases, you have have a low of 28F and a high in the 60s type day.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:51 PM

Anyone here actually been to Omsk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather