Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the climate of North America should be modified with technology in the future?
Yes 15 26.79%
No 41 73.21%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 04:19 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,903,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I don't think the OP realizes that the same systems that produce tornadoes also bring beneficial rainfall to a region that's already inconsistent with it's rainfall. I don't get why anyone would want to F with mother nature. If there's any air mass that we should block are the air masses that originate in Mexico that bring heat and drought to the Plains. Now those air masses don't benefit anyone in the least.
Weather modification - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If such a plan is considered, I'm sure teams of climatologists can study the effects the contraption will have on the climate of North America before it is built.

If an East-West barrier is built across North America, all that will result is a continental climate north of the barrier, without the risk of tornadoes, and an undisturbed humid subtropical climate south of the barrier, again, without the risk for tornadoes.

What's wrong with Fing with mother nature if she doesn't give the good people of America what she owes? We already seed clouds to bring rain to areas that are in droughts. We already construct barriers to nullify the effects of hurricanes. We already established great, mighty cities in areas that were once wild forests, deserts, plains, etc. We already cut through THICK, SOLID LAND just to make a shipping shortcut (Panama Canal).

This is MURICA, we don't take no for an answer; we keep doing the "wrong" thing until they become right!

Old 01-06-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
There are no words to describe how much I would hate this idea. Human modification of the climate will likely produce dire consequences, if you want to have a boring climate move to San Diego. North America's climate is beautiful and interesting, leave it alone. East Asia has an even more continental climate than us, and no one over there ******* about it. I swear this country is full of whiners

And to Tom77, it may not be anything in your area, but in Nashville the predicted HIGH is 6 F today. 6 F with a subzero low in Nashville, I wouldn't consider that "hype", that's record breaking cold.
I simply think that it is necessary to ease the suffering all the people East of the continental divide have to endure during such wild weather like this Polar Vortex. The West Coast, the Desert Southwest, and the Gulf and South Atlantic Coasts can't be the only areas with peaceful climates in a country as large as the US; more areas must also have peaceful climates not ravaged by cold-snaps, and tornadoes on a yearly basis.

I'm not whining; I just feel sorry for half the area of the great, mighty USA that has to endure such brutal arctic cold. A delicate Southern environment, such as that Nashville is located in, has no right to have a 6F high, and a subzero low. It sucks for a subtropical environment to be colder than the North Pole.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:00 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,313,527 times
Nashville isn't a "subtropical environment". If you go to Nashville I doubt you would feel like you were in the subtropics especially if you go in the cooler half of the year. In fact not even Atlanta or Birmingham feel subtropical to me either. Trees are bare right now in all of these cities and probably have been for a month or so, it is winter after all. I don't think anyone is trying to grow anything in any of these cities so I don't see how this deep freeze affects any of that.

You just have to accept the fact that North America north of about 32-33 N isn't subtropical. Probably warm temperate from that point on.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:15 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,193,893 times
Hey guys, hey, HEY! I have a super great idea to help the poor people who deal with tornadoes!

How about in some unforeseeable future, we create a device to WIPE OUT HALF OF NORTH AMERICA! Wouldn't that be cool? We can oppress poor people whose environment will be modified if not wiped out completely to help these other poor people!

I'm great, ain't I?

...Plate tecto-what? Don't give me that mumbo jumbo, technology will handle all of those issues for us!

Old 01-06-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivalis View Post
Hey guys, hey, HEY! I have a super great idea to help the poor people who deal with tornadoes!

How about in some unforeseeable future, we create a device to WIPE OUT HALF OF NORTH AMERICA! Wouldn't that be cool? We can oppress poor people whose environment will be modified if not wiped out completely to help these other poor people!

I'm great, ain't I?

...Plate tecto-what? Don't give me that mumbo jumbo, technology will handle all of those issues for us!
How will this device wipe out half of North America? All it will do is serve as the East-West barrier North America needs to prevent cold events like this one from descending too far south. It will also prevent the mixing of airmasses that cause lots of violent tornadoes. The climates won't really be changed much, except that south of the barrier will be an undisturbed humid subtropical climate with no cold snaps and tornadoes, and north of the barrier will be the same continental climate as it is now, but with less tornadoes as there will be no mixing of airmasses.

I'm sure the fault lines will be mapped out before the building of such a project takes place.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:45 PM

1,218 posts, read 1,501,202 times
If someone wants to experience a true tropical climate then they could go closer to the equator, but I guess that building a giant barrier across the US does sound much easier.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:44 PM

6,480 posts, read 6,121,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
I simply think that it is necessary to ease the suffering all the people East of the continental divide have to endure during such wild weather like this Polar Vortex. The West Coast, the Desert Southwest, and the Gulf and South Atlantic Coasts can't be the only areas with peaceful climates in a country as large as the US; more areas must also have peaceful climates not ravaged by cold-snaps, and tornadoes on a yearly basis.

I'm not whining; I just feel sorry for half the area of the great, mighty USA that has to endure such brutal arctic cold. A delicate Southern environment, such as that Nashville is located in, has no right to have a 6F high, and a subzero low. It sucks for a subtropical environment to be colder than the North Pole.
I live near Nashville. It's not a "delicate" environment. Our plants and wild life get along just fine here. I've been to a true subtropical climate (southern AL and northern FL) and it feels nothing like that climate. The "subtropical" definition as defined by Koppen is too broad. Typical Midwestern and Northeastern continental climates have average coldest month temperatures between about 20 and 32 F / -7 and 0 C. The true "delicate" subtropical climates average 48 to 64 F / 9 to 18 C in their coldest month.

Nashville is about 35 F / 2 C. That's pretty close to the continental range. Northern Kentucky, just 100-150 miles (160-240 kilometers) north, are full on humid continental. I live on a big hill at higher elevation and about 20 miles / 32 kilometers north of Nashville proper - I'm 902 feet above sea level as opposed to Nashville's 500-ish. I'm even closer to that 32 F mark in the coldest month. How can a place where average nighttime lows are below freezing for two months of the year be lumped in the same category as Houston, Jacksonville, and New Orleans?

Nashville is well within the North American continent. We're an 8 hour drive from the nearest ocean (the Gulf of Mexico).

Old 01-06-2014, 09:33 PM
BMI

7,455 posts, read 7,217,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
I live near Nashville. It's not a "delicate" environment. Our plants and wild life get along just fine here. I've been to a true subtropical climate (southern AL and northern FL) and it feels nothing like that climate. The "subtropical" definition as defined by Koppen is too broad. Typical Midwestern and Northeastern continental climates have average coldest month temperatures between about 20 and 32 F / -7 and 0 C. The true "delicate" subtropical climates average 48 to 64 F / 9 to 18 C in their coldest month.

Nashville is about 35 F / 2 C. That's pretty close to the continental range. Northern Kentucky, just 100-150 miles (160-240 kilometers) north, are full on humid continental. I live on a big hill at higher elevation and about 20 miles / 32 kilometers north of Nashville proper - I'm 902 feet above sea level as opposed to Nashville's 500-ish. I'm even closer to that 32 F mark in the coldest month. How can a place where average nighttime lows are below freezing for two months of the year be lumped in the same category as Houston, Jacksonville, and New Orleans?

Nashville is well within the North American continent. We're an 8 hour drive from the nearest ocean (the Gulf of Mexico).
I agree. Koppen imo was way off on subtropical catergory. Northern Florida, southern Alabama, subtropical for sure, Philly, DC, NYC subtropical, no way. Hard to say where to put the cut off line,
Myrtle Beach, SC?, inland it's tougher maybe an east-west line from Augusta, GA...Macon, GA...Columbus, GA...over to Montgomery, AB ...Jackson, MS...to Shreveport, LA...Tyler, TX....to Waco, TX (I saw on the news today that Waco had record cold temp this morning 16F so maybe not Waco) .

Old 01-06-2014, 09:40 PM

1,218 posts, read 1,501,202 times
Places like Jackson, Montgomery, Macon........ are expecting low teens tonight and not to get above freezing for the high tomorrow.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:22 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,813,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Some of the native plants of the South get damaged, or even die, in the frigid temperatures some parts of the South might see tonight. Such frigid temps caused by powerful arctic blasts can even affect Florida, where some plants like Coconut palms get damaged, or even die. Native coral reef ecosystems off the coast of Florida get injured when such powerful cold events occur.

But I do agree with you in that people shouldn't plant non-native tender plants like palms trees in areas of the inland south like Atlanta (which is about to go to the single digits). The only places in the country where such plants have a chance for long-term survival is on the West Coast, the lowland parts of the Southwest, the Gulf Coast, Florida, and the Atlantic Coast up to Cape Hatteras. However, if it wasn't for the geographic circumstances of North America, I'm sure that Atlanta, too, would be able to grow palms.
Some, an entire ecosystem doesn't collapse because of the cold, just like a few polar bears will succumb to the Arctic cold even though they are native to that environment. That does not mean those organisms are fragile or delicate.

Interesting you mention coconut palms. Current evidence suggest they are native to Malaysia, Indonesia, and the Philippines but have been used and cultivated for thousands of years in the Pacific side of Central America and the tropical coasts of Indian Ocean Africa and India. They are not native to anywhere in the Atlantic, including Florida. They should not be there, hence why they are vulnerable to cold.

I think people should just plant palm trees that are native to the US. We have palms native to here, like the palmetto, that can withstand the cold snaps. Problem is we like to promote palms that are just marginal survivors, like the coconut.

One more thing. There is nothing delicate about the southern environment. This environment has had millions of years to "get used to" conditions such as this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather