Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the climate of North America should be modified with technology in the future?
Yes 15 26.79%
No 41 73.21%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 10:36 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
High of 8, low of 3 forecasted for my city just north of Nashville. Am I mad? NO! I hope we see below zero temperatures! That's excitement you won't get in a more moderate climate. Consistent weather would get boring after a while.
But you live in what is called the "American South," where people from the North flock to in the attempt to avoid ice and snow. Do you really want sub-zero temps in what is supposed to be a warm, subtropical climate?

Old 01-03-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Ummm...No, we're good just as we are. North America's geography is exactly how its evolution intended it to be. North American geography does not suck and in no way is it experiencing an epic fail, it is just mother nature at her most wicked. Having said that, I can't believe I am even responding to such a silly post, and yet...here I am, responding to this silly post. On the other hand, what better way to pass the time during a brutal midwest winter's evening?

North America is part of the New World, so called because it was unknown to Europeans until comparatively recent times. From all parts of the world have come its people, bringing a heritage of ideas and skills that Stimulated its rapid development. North America is rich in mineral, water, and forest resources, and is a world center of agriculture and industry.

HowStuffWorks "Geography of North America"
Well, evolution must've been smoking the pot if it intended for North America to look as it does. The continent stretches from the arctic to the tropics without so much as an East-West barrier to separate the two zones; as a result, air masses from the two zones are allowed to mix freely, and every year, because of the mixing, thousands of these monsters are formed:

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...as-tornado.jpg

Another problem with North America's lack of East-West barriers is that cold airmasses from the arctic descend too far South in the winter, harming the poor organisms in the delicate, tender, subtropical ecosystems of the continent. Yes, North America is rich in resources, but other continents have all those same resources AND more, as they actually have the proper geography North America lacks.

Quote:
This isn't our first rodeo as they say, we will get over it, move on, move past it and look forward to the first day of spring and the chirp-chirp of the red breasted robin. Blizzards are a natrural occurence and as such it is inevitable that many flights will be cancelled because that's what happens with extreme weather such as this. Yes, roads will be shut down and on some of them that aren't there will be wrecks of tangled metal when trucks and cars collide, there may even be loss of life...and yet with heavy hearts, those of us who are left standing, we will go on.

Geography of North America

Geography of North America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well, you people from the Midwest are very tough.... this project is a reward to you for your bravery; strong, brave, people like you deserve a break from such extremes, and this project will end that by preventing the air-masses from mixing, and causing thousands of tornadoes, and by preventing polar vortexes (like this one right now) from descending WAAAAYYYYY too far south. Ohio is going to be colder than the North Pole! BRUTAL!

Quote:
YES, he/she certainly is ridiculous, thank you for that which I hesitated to state!
I just feel sorry for all those souls in the Midwest, Mississippi Valley, and Northeast who have to deal with such brutal winter cold, and wild extreme weather fluctuations. The West Coast, and the Gulf Coast can't be the only paradises in the country. More must be created.

Quote:
We have not only proper geography it is actually perfect and wonderful geography! Ask anyone!

Best regards,

HomeIsWhere...
Yeah, I'm sure wonderful and perfect geography creates THOUSANDS of these every year:

That then make unsuspecting towns look like Hiroshima after the bomb:

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...tion-tx700.jpg

That is crappy geography, not perfect geography; and this project will compensate for North America's handicap.

Sincerely,
Yn0hTnA

Old 01-03-2014, 11:14 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,181,267 times
Our climate is barely "subtropical" to begin with ; a place like New Orleans or Houston is more true "subtropical". I consider my climate more of a warm continental type. Our average low during the coldest days of the year is about 26 F / -3 C. Most years see temperatures below 14 F / -10 C, and we've been known to hit -4 F / -20 C... very rarely. Personally, I love extreme weather. The places people flock to in order to avoid ice and snow are further south anyway. Let the Gulf Coast and Florida stay warm... for us, cold =

Old 01-04-2014, 12:01 AM

The Northeast and the Midwest is about to get @ss-raped by cold due to the descending polar vortex. I sure feel sorry for those people. All this suffering due to North America's whack geography.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:43 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,507,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
The Northeast and the Midwest is about to get @ss-raped by cold due to the descending polar vortex. I sure feel sorry for those people. All this suffering due to North America's whack geography.
Don't forget the south exciting times

Old 01-04-2014, 02:26 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,745,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Well, evolution must've been smoking the pot if it intended for North America to look as it does. The continent stretches from the arctic to the tropics without so much as an East-West barrier to separate the two zones; as a result, air masses from the two zones are allowed to mix freely, and every year, because of the mixing, thousands of these monsters are formed:

Another problem with North America's lack of East-West barriers is that cold airmasses from the arctic descend too far South in the winter, harming the poor organisms in the delicate, tender, subtropical ecosystems of the continent. Yes, North America is rich in resources, but other continents have all those same resources AND more, as they actually have the proper geography North America lacks.

Well, you people from the Midwest are very tough.... this project is a reward to you for your bravery; strong, brave, people like you deserve a break from such extremes, and this project will end that by preventing the air-masses from mixing, and causing thousands of tornadoes, and by preventing polar vortexes (like this one right now) from descending WAAAAYYYYY too far south. Ohio is going to be colder than the North Pole! BRUTAL!

I just feel sorry for all those souls in the Midwest, Mississippi Valley, and Northeast who have to deal with such brutal winter cold, and wild extreme weather fluctuations. The West Coast, and the Gulf Coast can't be the only paradises in the country. More must be created.

Yeah, I'm sure wonderful and perfect geography creates THOUSANDS of these every year:

That then make unsuspecting towns look like Hiroshima after the bomb:

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...tion-tx700.jpg

That is crappy geography, not perfect geography; and this project will compensate for North America's handicap.

Sincerely,
Yn0hTnA
There will be not project, the climate should not be controlled by humans is nonsense, this is not the climate which must adapt to humans, this is the humans who must adapt to the climate, it always been this way.
The human stupidity made progress.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:29 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,871,459 times
Yes. I think great plains are over the top. Shouldn't see ice days below 40n

Old 01-04-2014, 05:48 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,815,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Yes. I think great plains are over the top. Shouldn't see ice days below 40n
Why not? Latitude isn't everything, you should know that.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:32 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,181,267 times
High of 8 holding, but low now forecast at -1! That's right, NEGATIVE 1! Forecast for the morning of Tuesday, January 7, 2014, exactly 21 years after my due date to be born was! (I came 13 days early on December 25th though)

Old 01-04-2014, 04:48 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,429,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
High of 8 holding, but low now forecast at -1! That's right, NEGATIVE 1! Forecast for the morning of Tuesday, January 7, 2014, exactly 21 years after my due date to be born was! (I came 13 days early on December 25th though)
So your due date was Orthodox Christmas and instead you were both on Western Christmas. Neat. And enjoy it! I had been thinking about a trip to Nashville during winter break.. a little too late now but it would have been awesome to be there during such an extreme cold snap. It'll be colder there than here - we're going to get the same cold air but one day later on Tuesday: 14/9 is the forecast here for the high/low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather