U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-26-2007, 06:39 PM
 
Location: still in exile......
29,910 posts, read 8,934,761 times
Reputation: 5904

Advertisements

Here in North Ga I would say around Nov. 27th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-26-2007, 07:34 PM
 
Location: Perth, Western Australia
9,594 posts, read 24,691,633 times
Reputation: 3550
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
Here in North Ga I would say around Nov. 27th.
The day after Labour Day.

No seriously, ours typically starts by the end of November or early December too.

But for us "winter" means afternoons high barely hovering above freezing at the best, so lots of slick and/or salty roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2007, 07:51 PM
 
Location: still in exile......
29,910 posts, read 8,934,761 times
Reputation: 5904
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
The day after Labour Day.

No seriously, ours typically starts by the end of November or early December too.

But for us "winter" means afternoons high barely hovering above freezing at the best, so lots of slick and/or salty roads.
wow, here in georgia winter is highs in the 50s and lows in the mid 20s-mid 30s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2007, 08:05 PM
 
Location: God's Country
21,981 posts, read 31,111,636 times
Reputation: 30637
In Houston winter starts around Jan 20 and ends Jan 21
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2007, 08:05 PM
 
Location: Subarctic maritime Melbourne
5,054 posts, read 6,000,319 times
Reputation: 2841
This year it started bang on June 1. The weather literally turned crap on June 1.

After a beautiful mild May (average max 67ºF / 19.6ºC), June was terrible (average max 58ºF / 14.1ºC) and with a highest temp only 62ºF / 16.8ºC *vomit*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2007, 08:20 PM
 
227 posts, read 1,273,543 times
Reputation: 127
is 58 degrees suppost to be cold?? lol you don't even need a jacket for that.

Winter starts about now in NYC, the end of november.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2007, 08:27 PM
 
Location: Subarctic maritime Melbourne
5,054 posts, read 6,000,319 times
Reputation: 2841
^^ yes. Any breath of wind and you DO need a jacket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2007, 08:39 PM
 
Location: E ND & NW MN
4,817 posts, read 9,784,043 times
Reputation: 3594
What is winter is all relative I guess....

Up here in far northwest MN/northeast ND....Grand Forks area....we feel like today is the first day of true winter as the first arctic front hit this evening. We got 1-2 inches of fresh snow along with 40-50 mph winds making for near zero vsby at times for a few hours. That was at 5-6 pm...Now as we approach midnight it is falling close to zero with north winds at 25 mph making wind chills down close to -25F.

So for me...true winter doesnt begin til we get the first below zero (F) night.

In mid January is our coldest day (on average) with a high of 13F and a low of -6F. Our coldest temp was -44F back about 5 years ago in January....it was calm and clear that night. Usually snow on the ground from mid Nov til mid March....with green-up hitting mid April or so.

I enjoy the winter up here....

Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2007, 08:44 PM
 
Location: still in exile......
29,910 posts, read 8,934,761 times
Reputation: 5904
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
What is winter is all relative I guess....

Up here in far northwest MN/northeast ND....Grand Forks area....we feel like today is the first day of true winter as the first arctic front hit this evening. We got 1-2 inches of fresh snow along with 40-50 mph winds making for near zero vsby at times for a few hours. That was at 5-6 pm...Now as we approach midnight it is falling close to zero with north winds at 25 mph making wind chills down close to -25F.

So for me...true winter doesnt begin til we get the first below zero (F) night.

In mid January is our coldest day (on average) with a high of 13F and a low of -6F. Our coldest temp was -44F back about 5 years ago in January....it was calm and clear that night. Usually snow on the ground from mid Nov til mid March....with green-up hitting mid April or so.

I enjoy the winter up here....

Dan
-44F, dang thats cold enough to turn boiling water into snow instantly isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2007, 08:47 PM
 
Location: still in exile......
29,910 posts, read 8,934,761 times
Reputation: 5904
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
What is winter is all relative I guess....

Up here in far northwest MN/northeast ND....Grand Forks area....we feel like today is the first day of true winter as the first arctic front hit this evening. We got 1-2 inches of fresh snow along with 40-50 mph winds making for near zero vsby at times for a few hours. That was at 5-6 pm...Now as we approach midnight it is falling close to zero with north winds at 25 mph making wind chills down close to -25F.

So for me...true winter doesnt begin til we get the first below zero (F) night.

In mid January is our coldest day (on average) with a high of 13F and a low of -6F. Our coldest temp was -44F back about 5 years ago in January....it was calm and clear that night. Usually snow on the ground from mid Nov til mid March....with green-up hitting mid April or so.

I enjoy the winter up here....

Dan
looks like a good bet you'll get below zero tonight it's only 10:45(9:45 over there, I think) and its 2 degrees farenheit in Grand Forks with a windchill of -17(weather.com).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top