Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Gulf Coast paradise do you prefer?
Tampa 20 46.51%
New Orleans 9 20.93%
They are both rubbish 14 32.56%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 11:39 AM

5,983 posts, read 4,277,634 times

Advertisements

If we look a little deeper....

Very patchy distribution along the Gulf Coast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 09:59 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post

good find...

So lining the entire southern coastline, right YNATOWA??

since when was North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Alabama not part of the south? since when was half of Florida, Louisiana, Missisippi, and Texas not included in the south either?

Old 02-07-2015, 12:57 AM

2,068 posts, read 2,924,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
On the other hand, there is no scientific literature that upholds the claim that the US South is in fact undergoing a "Cold Epoch" or that its natural climactic state is one which is completely devoid of extreme cold snaps and occasional freezes.

Since you're the only one who claims that this Cold Epoch is real, and since the US South currently does undergo many cold snaps, the burden of proof is on you (not us) to show that this Cold Epoch is real and not some made up fantasy.

Hence, show us some real peer-reviewed literature that supports your Cold Epoch claim instead of arrogantly deriding us as "amateur climatologists" when you are presumably a non-professional yourself. I'm talking about actual literature on past atmospheric and climactic states, not Wikipedia maps of places where tropical plants grow.
There is plenty of scientific literature detailing the Cold Epoch over Eastern North America; Google books, especially, is rife with them. I will post some soon.

The thing is, though, that unlike you amateur climatologists, I am actually utilizing a sense of strategy in my argument, a road-map to be specific. I first start out by refuting and debunking the claims of the opposition, then I build up my own argument. In this case, I am refuting the idea that the US South is the subtropical climate most prone to cold by providing evidence of the fact that pure tropical, and tender plants and animals are able to range naturally into the region, and wouldn't be able to do so if the arctic outbreaks were always very "severe" in the South.

You amateur climatologists constantly claim that the South really is the coldest subtropical region on Earth, yet such a claim is never explicitly stated in any scientific literature whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post

First of all, its your map against mine; the map you put forth doesn't change the fact that the map I posted does indeed depict mangrove trees ranging along the entire Gulf Coast. The source page for the map states that mangroves are found even into Southern Georgia.

Even with your map, my point still stands; mangrove trees range along the entire Gulf Coast. Even if patchy, the map, nevertheless, shows representative populations of mangroves from all areas of the Gulf Coast, from north to south, and east to west; ergo, all areas of the Gulf Coast can support mangrove trees. Just because a county isn't marked green doesn't mean that mangrove trees don't exist in said county; it can just mean that an official investigation for mangrove trees in the county has yet to occur. Also, quite a bit of those Gulf Coast counties(or parishes in Louisiana) are rural, with little population, a factor which makes it harder for mangrove tree reports to be received.

So, like I said, it is a fact that mangrove trees range along the entire Gulf Coast, as well as South Atlantic up to Southern Georgia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
good find...

So lining the entire southern coastline, right YNATOWA??

since when was North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Alabama not part of the south? since when was half of Florida, Louisiana, Missisippi, and Texas not included in the south either?
Since you are late to this debate, I will be generous to you, and provide you with the information that has been covered thus far in this topic:
//www.city-data.com/forum/38327780-post49.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather