Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 02:36 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I'd like to compare the continental climates of Earth and see the similarities and differences between the regions.
  • Eastern North America
Out of all the continental climates I'm most familiar with the ones found in North America. Seems the North American variety. Big temperature swings and strong weather fronts.

Waterloo, Ontario - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The other distinctive aspect of eastern North American climates, especially near the coast is the rather precipitation levels (40+ in / 1000+ mm annually) combined with rather high sunshine considering the rainfall. Excluding Japan, non-subtropical east Asia and eastern Europe / Russia isn't as wet. The more coastal parts of North America have almost no seasonal pattern in precipitation, unlike the more typical summer peak for continental climates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 02:41 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,380,974 times
This is December 2012 in Beijing
Weather History for Beijing, China | Weather Underground

This is December 2012 in Montreal
Weather History for Montreal, Canada | Weather Underground

Montreal sees a high of 13c and -10c in the same month! (if its correct)

Yes I've noticed how wet and sunny coastal Eastern North America is.

Old 12-26-2013, 02:56 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Interesting. The variability in Beijing must feel less than the numbers suggest, as the temperature swings seem to happen gradually, over many days rather than a day or two.

Quote:
Montreal sees a high of 13c and -10c in the same month! (if its correct)
We had a high of 18c and -10c this month:

Weather History for Chicopee, MA | Weather Underground

Old 12-26-2013, 03:02 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
Well, here is a comparison between 2 similar Continental Climates:

Milwaukee, WI:
Milwaukee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Minsk, Belarus:
Minsk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-26-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Interesting. The variability in Beijing must feel less than the numbers suggest, as the temperature swings seem to happen gradually, over many days rather than a day or two.
Exactly!

Beijing gradually cools down while I noticed Chicago for example winter arrives abruptly before going back up to lets say 12c again then back down again and so forth.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Exactly!

Beijing gradually cools down while I noticed Chicago for example winter arrives abruptly before going back up to lets say 12c again then back down again and so forth.
It seems like the interior tends to have more of that than the eastern US closer to the coast. The Great Plains in particular has dramatic swings that would be rare in Massachusetts.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
It seems like the interior tends to have more of that than the eastern US closer to the coast. The Great Plains in particular has dramatic swings that would be rare in Massachusetts.
That's to be expected, I love the variability of North America's winters but to get to the point North America seems to be a bit odd in how wild temperatures are. I don't think Moscow sees the same wild temperature swings, however being continental the place do witness temperature jumps. For example one day would be 5c then 0c then -7c but to compare Chicago would go straight from 5c to -6c without any middle ground again those seemingly powerful fronts. Even places in the Eurasian desert hardly sees such dramatic temperature swings on a weekly basis, if its winter I'll stay very cold rather than very cold to mild and back again.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:25 PM

hmm though this Moscow month is almost as variable as ours:

Weather History for Moscow Sheremetyevo, Russia | Weather Underground

Weather History for Chicopee, MA | Weather Underground

Old 12-26-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
A high of 30f? and then -10f?! That's crazy I know how variable your winters are but its weird seeing temperatures that feel so different as highs!

For me Moscow seems less variable again its consistently cold while your location witnesses complete opposite air masses. From gulf moisture to Arctic cold in a matter of weeks.

If I make an example within a 5 day period the Midwest can see highs of 16c and -10c - completely different air masses!

January in Moscow: http://www.wunderground.com/history/....html#calendar

Coldwave at the end of the month it doesn't abruptly stop like in NA.

Minneapolis: http://www.wunderground.com/history/....html#calendar

Last edited by P London; 12-26-2013 at 05:19 PM..

Old 12-27-2013, 06:27 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,731,109 times
Anecdotal, but here's one of the most potent cold snaps that hit Moscow in recent years. The high dropped from -2°C/28°F to -27°C/18°F in two days:

Wind changed from NW to NE when it hit, around noon:

Wind chill reached the -40s the day after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather