Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 06:34 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
If you read the other pages the coldest in Russia is Norilsk, not Yakutsk.
Yakutsk -8.8C/16.2F daily mean

Norilsk -9.4/15.08

Wow, I had no idea.

Of course, Yakutsk has lower winter temps, and greater highs in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 09:35 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,454,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Yakutsk -8.8C/16.2F daily mean

Norilsk -9.4/15.08

Wow, I had no idea.

Of course, Yakutsk has lower winter temps, and greater highs in the summer.
Norilsk has a pretty fascinating climate. Its winters are brutally cold but they still manage to be quite wet, far higher winter precip than cites like Yakutsk or Irkutsk for instance. Similar story in nearby places like Dudinka or Salekhard.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:58 PM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times
Norilsk looks like one of the worst places on the planet to live actually.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:11 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,357,778 times
Quote:
Norilsk has a pretty fascinating climate. Its winters are brutally cold but they still manage to be quite wet, far higher winter precip than cites like Yakutsk or Irkutsk for instance. Similar story in nearby places like Dudinka or Salekhard.
I wonder how much snow they average there a year. Winter precip seems really high for those bitter cold temperatures.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:41 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,454,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I wonder how much snow they average there a year. Winter precip seems really high for those bitter cold temperatures.
Norilsk has comparable winter temps and precip to Churchill MB or Inukjuak QB which both get 80".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church...nitoba#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inukjuak#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norils...al_environment

Dudinka is much wetter and it is more comparable to Ambler AK which gets 130".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dudinka#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambler,_Alaska#Climate

For similar reasons I think Salekhard gets seasonal totals within the 80-120" range. In any case, the fringe of Northern Siberia along the Arctic ocean is pretty damn wet for the temperatures it gets. Even further east, Tiksi seems to get 100"+ of snow as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Norilsk looks like one of the best places on the planet to live actually.
It seems that there was an error in your original comment, so I fixed it for you

Last edited by Shalop; 03-29-2016 at 04:59 PM..

Old 03-29-2016, 04:44 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,364,292 times
It'd be interesting to know which cities have the most days of high winds. Those high winds will make a relatively mild city pretty painfully cold if you're outside in Winter. Especially if they're winds that are coming off of a large body of water. A "dry cold" and a "wet cold" are two different types of awful.

Deep snow can kind of make it seem a bit milder--tall snowbanks block the wind, and they add insulation around houses.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:19 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,813,825 times
Warmest:Catania City Center: 19C° (23C° Max; 15C° Min)

Coldest: Potenza, 11,3C° (Max 15,5C°; Min 7,2C°)

Potenza is a Southern city but it must be said that it sits at over 800 meters. The difference maker is the lack of warmth in winter whereas in a similarly placed cities further north such as Campobasso, Avezzano and Potenza where weather may be colder in winter, summer highs are also unexpectedly high

Old 03-30-2016, 07:23 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,676,644 times
Quote:
It seems that there was an error in your original comment, so I fixed it for you
LOL. 8 months a year of freezing temperatures. -24 °C highs in February. Polar night during December and January. It's not a really good place to live in.

I prefer Jan Mayen over Norilsk.

It still freezes for 7/8 months a year, the polar night is longer, but at least with an average high of -3 °C in February, I can still make walks outside, even though the wind there must be awful, considering the location. Summers are much cooler, but it doesn't matter, since I don't even care about warm weather.

Old 04-02-2016, 05:53 PM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Warmest:Catania City Center: 19C° (23C° Max; 15C° Min)

Coldest: Potenza, 11,3C° (Max 15,5C°; Min 7,2C°)

Potenza is a Southern city but it must be said that it sits at over 800 meters. The difference maker is the lack of warmth in winter whereas in a similarly placed cities further north such as Campobasso, Avezzano and Potenza where weather may be colder in winter, summer highs are also unexpectedly high
Potenza looks like Dijon, France: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dijon#Climate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather