Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2014, 03:55 PM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Pretty sure some ponds and still lakes are starting to get a frozen layer on top, down to New Orleans and northern Florida
Sounds like someone mis-read that.

Here's a pond in Texas near Houston I believe. Doesn't take much to freeze thin layer of water in small ponds and calm lakes. I've seen it happen with just 3 nights below freezing while day gets to near 40. Winds make a big difference too in what can freeze or not.

BTW... Birmingham Alabama above freezing for the first time since Sunday night. I wonder what those folks are saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 03:57 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Quote:
Sounds like someone mis-read that.

Here's a pond in Texas near Houston I believe. Doesn't take much to freeze thin layer of water in small ponds and calm lakes. I've seen it happen with just 3 nights below freezing while day gets to near 40. Winds make a big difference too in what can freeze or not.

BTW... Birmingham Alabama above freezing for the first time since Sunday night. I wonder what those folks are saying.
Small ponds, yes, lakes no. But even the small ponds have melted today. Birmingham is quite a ways from the coast. Austin and Houston are 50 degrees right now and won't get below it Until Friday night. Whatever ice there was, is gone.

Lake Travis Webcam
http://www.arlut.utexas.edu/omg/weather.html
Water temperature at the surface: 53 degrees

Look at the variation in daily temps... Only 2 nights below freezing and no days below freezing so far.

http://www.arlut.utexas.edu/omg/weather.html

Like I said, you don't sound like you've made it down to the Gulf Coast that much. Don't believe the weathercasters that much. Nothing's freezing over or anything remotely like that down here.

Last edited by cBach; 01-08-2014 at 04:06 PM..

Old 01-08-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Doesn't take much to freeze thin layer of water in small ponds and calm lakes. I've seen it happen with just 3 nights below freezing while day gets to near 40. Winds make a big difference too in what can freeze or not.
Not in the Gulf South. With clear skies, no area in the sun with 40 degrees will have ice. I've touched bricks that were warm to the touch in 40 degrees sun. The sun angle is just too strong for ice to remain in the day. Like I said, spend a year down here and you will understand.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:25 PM

A look at the current temps. I wish I did this last night, would of been cool to see. I changed the color table to show only blues below freezing. Darker blues are below 0.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:47 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,270,554 times
Quote:
A look at the current temps. I wish I did this last night, would of been cool to see. I changed the color table to show only blues below freezing. Darker blues are below 0.
Cool map. Last night would have been interesting.

I like how you can see features on the map like California central valley,
much milder than surrounding higher terrain.
Also outline of Death Valley in warmer orange color.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:

This highlights what I was talking about regarding the south.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Cool map. Last night would have been interesting.

I like how you can see features on the map like California central valley,
much milder than surrounding higher terrain.
Also outline of Death Valley in warmer orange color.
Thanks, I'm working on making above 32F transparent just to see how it looks. Yeah, that would of been cool to see. I'm sure someone out there in the net has one.

This is the closet thing I have. Its the 72hr forecast from Euro showing the percentage of 32F this morning

Old 01-08-2014, 09:09 PM

Got it!
I made above 32°F transparent. Blues 32F and below. Purples 0F and below.

Since I can only go back 4hrs with this program I used the Hi-Res NAM from this morning to capture the 10z temps. It's not actual but it's pretty close since it was only 4hrs out from the run time.

So here's how this mornings temps looked across the U.S

Old 01-08-2014, 10:36 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,223,011 times
It dropped to -2° at my house on Tuesday morning and +5° on Wednesday morning... the coldest it has been since 1996! Our average low for the date is 26°.

Officially the old record low of 5° set in 1970 was shattered at the airport on Tuesday morning when the temperature plunged to -2°.

We could be in the mid 60s on Saturday. lol.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:40 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,223,011 times
Quote:
Current temps/wind chills down south. Still 10-25 below normal East of Texas. Pretty sure some ponds and still lakes are starting to get a frozen layer on top, down to New Orleans and northern Florida
Neat map! Can you provide a link to it?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather