Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2014, 11:37 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,758,749 times

Advertisements

Rossby Waves are big sine-type waves in the polar jet stream, with high pressure ridges pushing the jet stream north and troughs pushing it south. I have noticed a pattern over the last five years or so, where it seems like some areas in midlatitudes are anomolously dry, or cold and wet in winter, compared to the years before. For example, we are in record drought territory in the W. USA (way south of the Jet Stream which is shooting up through Canada), but the E. USA is under an onslaught of Arctic fronts and polar air and is north of the Jet Stream. In late winter, I predict we will get the wet stormy weather, but the general pattern is one of extremes, rather than zonal flow, where storms pass from west to east.

I just read a scientific paper that claimed such Rossby Waves are linked to minimal Arctic ice in the previous summers. They suggested that increased amplitude in Rossby Waves and slow movement of such wave can lead to paradoxically stagnant and extreme weather conditions in winter and summer, but particularly in the former. That sure seems to be what we are seeing this winter in N. America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 03:10 PM

Bumping to add this video by Jennifer Francis on Rossby Waves. Pretty interesting!

Jennifer Francis - Understanding the Jetstream - m - YouTube

Old 01-04-2014, 08:55 PM

29,512 posts, read 19,610,114 times
I suspect that there may be blocking pattern linkages with the multidecadal climate regimes (e.g. PDO, AMO) moreso than Arctic Sea ice extent. Just my two cents.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:33 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,925,857 times
You are correct, but the general public in North America is far too focused on trying to make this a political issue by denying climate change, when in fact the recent increase in frequency of Rossby waves is very likely an effect of that climate change.

Take a look at our March averages in Saskatoon over the last few years (mean is -6 C).
2009: -12 C
2010: 0 C
2011: -12 C
2012: 0 C
2013: -13 C

See a pattern there? Now, we are used to seeing wild variations in monthly averages from year to year, but such a symmetric swing is something very new.

In 2013, we had periods where cold weather (relative to normal) was "stuck" in March and April, as well as periods when warm weather was "stuck" in August and September.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
I suspect that there may be blocking pattern linkages with the multidecadal climate regimes (e.g. PDO, AMO) moreso than Arctic Sea ice extent. Just my two cents.
Well, I am just figuring this out myself, and most of my adult life has been in the positive PDO terrain. Certainly, something seems quite strange about the recent pattern, but I have read that negative PDO periods have some similarities.

It would be great to have someone better differentiate the two. I don't know enough to do that at this time.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
You are correct, but the general public in North America is far too focused on trying to make this a political issue by denying climate change, when in fact the recent increase in frequency of Rossby waves is very likely an effect of that climate change.

Take a look at our March averages in Saskatoon over the last few years (mean is -6 C).
2009: -12 C
2010: 0 C
2011: -12 C
2012: 0 C
2013: -13 C

See a pattern there? Now, we are used to seeing wild variations in monthly averages from year to year, but such a symmetric swing is something very new.

In 2013, we had periods where cold weather (relative to normal) was "stuck" in March and April, as well as periods when warm weather was "stuck" in August and September.
Exactly, we have become so addicted to political "gotchas" that we can no longer hold a rational discourse about this hugely important topic.

I think I agree. That regularity in your data suggests to me a two phase system (under the jet stream, over the jet stream) and a highly amplified Rossby Wave situation. The stuck weather systems seem to be associated with the recent deep freezes in the Northeast, drought in the Southwest, and scorching, sustained heat waves in the southern plains. Any of these can occur at any time, of course, but something seems weird the last few years. Of course all the conservatives will go on and on about the deep freeze and ignore the other consequences, which seems to be their way these days. An observation is only acceptable if it passes the ideological purity test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather