Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 11:05 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
Ok...so going by your original post, humid heat is more comfortable for air while dry heat is more comfortable for sitting around in shades. What about for just being outside in general?
whoops. I meant to write for sitting still, the humid heat is better at the same heat index. fixed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 11:18 PM

669 posts, read 914,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
whoops. I meant to write for sitting still, the humid heat is better at the same heat index. fixed it.
Damn you mods, getting to edit posts after 4 days

So based on you are saying even with the same heat index temperature an Orlando will still be better for sitting around and the wind while a Phoenix will still be better for moving around I suppose.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:11 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
Ok to make this more clear let me give an example, Phoenix, Arizona is dry heat while Orlando, Florida is humid heat. But let's say both the cities have a temperature of 93 degrees in heat index numbers.

So does it really matter if one is dry and one is humid even after that in terms of how it feels then? What about when the wind blows or when you stand in the shades?

You have never experienced both, right? 80 degrees and 70% humidity in central MD can be disgusting. 90 degrees and 40% humidity in central OR is pleasant. The heat index seems to work in reverse. I have been in both. More in MD as this is my domicile. It's 84 and ~50% humidity now...not too bad.
You can't escape humidity unless you have AC. Shade is good for blast furnace sun heat.

On the other hand...100 degrees in San Antonio can be worse than 105 in Phoenix for the humidity factor alone.
Talk about heat index.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,028 times
So, basically, whoever came up with "heat index" thought they had answered this question (long before this thread was started). What the original question was is just about peoples' opinions. I am going from Shreveport, LA, to El Paso, TX, this summer and want to know if I can work outside in 96 F degree weather and be more comfortable than in Shreveport (say, with the heat index it would be (96 F because of the humidity but the actual temperature is lower -- El Paso is of course low humidity). So, if I can handle working outside all morning in Shreveport in the summer (drinking plenty of liquid), can I handle working outside all day in El Paso on a day when the heat indeces are similar? I say ALL day in El Paso, because that's what I think I'll be doing.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:46 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,448,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminvmobile View Post
So, basically, whoever came up with "heat index" thought they had answered this question (long before this thread was started). What the original question was is just about peoples' opinions. I am going from Shreveport, LA, to El Paso, TX, this summer and want to know if I can work outside in 96 F degree weather and be more comfortable than in Shreveport (say, with the heat index it would be (96 F because of the humidity but the actual temperature is lower -- El Paso is of course low humidity). So, if I can handle working outside all morning in Shreveport in the summer (drinking plenty of liquid), can I handle working outside all day in El Paso on a day when the heat indeces are similar? I say ALL day in El Paso, because that's what I think I'll be doing.
I agree with nei in post #3. For working long periods outside, dry heat is better.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:40 PM

621 posts, read 538,186 times
I think a lot of what the OP is asking is subjective. I would take an extra hot, dry day over a cooler day with high humidity every time. Even sitting around in high humidity feels nasty to me. I know people, however, who aren't happy unless it's hot and humid. It's a preference. If you stay hydrated you should be ok in either scenario.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:37 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
I agree with nei in post #3. For working long periods outside, dry heat is better.
After working construction in the summer of 08 in Phoenix, I can say that it was much more pleasant on days when dews were in the 20's-40's as opposed to the days when the dew's were in the 60's and even 70's (yes it happens in Phoenix), even if the temps were higher.

The truly bad days in Phoenix are in August and sometimes July where it will maybe be 102/103, but the dewpoint will be between 65 and 70!

Old 06-21-2016, 05:13 AM

808 posts, read 710,314 times
Default On the subject of heat indices

The heat index, as a meaningless artificial number, is not as important as the temperature and humidity/dew point considered objectively. For example, 78°F (26°C) with a dew point of 78°F (26°C) (relative humidity 100%) produces a heat index of 81°F (27°C). However, 90°F (32°C) with a dew point of 45°F (7°C) (relative humidity 21%) produces a heat index of 86°F (30°C). Most people, me included, would consider the former to be more uncomfortable and in a sense feel "hotter", even though the heat index is lower, because the dew point is so high.

Here's my own completely unscientific formula:
Take the temperature in degrees Fahrenheit, then, if the dew point is 60 or above, add the dew point minus 60. If the dew point is between 40 and 60, divide the dew point by three and add the resulting figure minus 20. If the dew point is below 40, plug 40 into the "40-60" equation.

This formula I believe is more accurate in judging how heat and humidity actually feel.
90°F (32°C) with a dew point of 75°F (24°C) will generate a YITYNR Heat Index (YHI) of 105°F (41°C).
90°F (32°C) with a dew point of 40°F (4°C) will generate a YHI of 83°F (28°C).

80°F (27°C) with a dew point of 70°F (21°C) will generate a YHI of 90°F (32°C).
80°F (27°C) with a dew point of 45°F (7°C) will generate a YHI of 75°F (24°C).

In addition to heat and humidity, the wind speed also plays a role in comfort, even at high temperatures. While Patricius Maximus would beg to differ, in my experience a 10 mph (16 km/h) has the same comfort regulation effect as cooling the temperature by 5°F (3°C). So if it's 90°F (32°C) with a 70°F (21°C) dew point, while the YHI is 100°F (38°C), the wind would knock the apparent temperature down to 95°F (35°C).

Sorry if this post didn't make sense - it's just one guy rambling about heat and humidity.

Last edited by Cheesehead92; 06-21-2016 at 05:14 AM.. Reason: fix word

Old 06-21-2016, 06:16 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YITYNR View Post
The heat index, as a meaningless artificial number, is not as important as the temperature and humidity/dew point considered objectively. For example, 78°F (26°C) with a dew point of 78°F (26°C) (relative humidity 100%) produces a heat index of 81°F (27°C). However, 90°F (32°C) with a dew point of 45°F (7°C) (relative humidity 21%) produces a heat index of 86°F (30°C). Most people, me included, would consider the former to be more uncomfortable and in a sense feel "hotter", even though the heat index is lower, because the dew point is so high.

Here's my own completely unscientific formula:
Take the temperature in degrees Fahrenheit, then, if the dew point is 60 or above, add the dew point minus 60. If the dew point is between 40 and 60, divide the dew point by three and add the resulting figure minus 20. If the dew point is below 40, plug 40 into the "40-60" equation.

This formula I believe is more accurate in judging how heat and humidity actually feel.
90°F (32°C) with a dew point of 75°F (24°C) will generate a YITYNR Heat Index (YHI) of 105°F (41°C).
90°F (32°C) with a dew point of 40°F (4°C) will generate a YHI of 83°F (28°C).

80°F (27°C) with a dew point of 70°F (21°C) will generate a YHI of 90°F (32°C).
80°F (27°C) with a dew point of 45°F (7°C) will generate a YHI of 75°F (24°C).

In addition to heat and humidity, the wind speed also plays a role in comfort, even at high temperatures. While Patricius Maximus would beg to differ, in my experience a 10 mph (16 km/h) has the same comfort regulation effect as cooling the temperature by 5°F (3°C). So if it's 90°F (32°C) with a 70°F (21°C) dew point, while the YHI is 100°F (38°C), the wind would knock the apparent temperature down to 95°F (35°C).

Sorry if this post didn't make sense - it's just one guy rambling about heat and humidity.
I like it, I will try to run some examples tonight

Old 06-21-2016, 05:15 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
I don't know about higher heat indices (say, near 100) since it's been awhile but I think around 90 a drier heat feels better. Today in Atlanta it was about 90 but it was pretty dry with a dew point around 60 (dry for us at least). Really didn't feel too bad but last week when I was in Texas I walked outside at midnight and it was only near 80 with a dewpoint pushing 75. Felt awful. You stepped outside and immediately started sweating and it still felt just plain hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather