Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 05:55 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,579,302 times

Advertisements

So using YITYNR's system:

Phoenix 4pm conditions
Temp:110
Dewpoint:42
YITYNR Heat Index:104

Houston 6pm conditions
Temp:87
Dewpoint:73
YITYNR Heat Index:100

I like it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 04:54 AM

808 posts, read 709,783 times
Default Wait a moment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
So using YITYNR's system:

Phoenix 4pm conditions
Temp:110
Dewpoint:42
YITYNR Heat Index:104

Houston 6pm conditions
Temp:87
Dewpoint:73
YITYNR Heat Index:100

I like it
How did the dew point increase by 31°F (17°C) in just two hours?

In any case, thank you for approving my system (I would rep you, but it says I need to spread some rep around), and this really does go to disprove the stereotype of it always being hot and dry in Phoenix, doesn't it?

Old 06-22-2016, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YITYNR View Post
How did the dew point increase by 31°F (17°C) in just two hours?

In any case, thank you for approving my system (I would rep you, but it says I need to spread some rep around), and this really does go to disprove the stereotype of it always being hot and dry in Phoenix, doesn't it?
Different cities, that was the current condition for both Phoenix, AZ (Sky Harbor) and Houston, TX (Intercontinental). Observation was 4 Pacific Time/6 Central Time

Old 06-22-2016, 05:03 AM

808 posts, read 709,783 times
Default My bad

Quote:
Different cities, that was the current condition for both Phoenix, AZ (Sky Harbor) and Houston, TX (Intercontinental). Observation was 4 Pacific Time/6 Central Time
Whoops, didn't see that they were two different cities. Sorry about that!

Old 03-23-2020, 10:46 PM

366 posts, read 242,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
The feel is different, because the humid heat index has humidity adding to the raw heat, whereas in the identical dry heat index it's just the raw heat. When you have an identical heat index, i.e. you feel the same level of heat in both places, you just go with whether you like the feel of low humidity or high humidity. I strongly prefer low humidity myself, so I'd go with the dry heat every time. I'd even go with it if the heat index was significantly hotter, since the humidity itself just makes me miserable.

In terms of standing in the shade, shade will have a far more noticeable cooling effect in dry heat than in humid heat. Wind will also feel better in a dry heat than in a humid heat, since when it's just humid you just get the humidity shoved in your face, whereas with dry heat you have air that feels purer; then again, there's the risk of the dry heat wind exerting a hairdryer effect, which if anything makes it feel hotter. That doesn't usually happen when the wind is only 5 or 10 mph, though.
I once tried very dry 51°C (123.8°F) with 65 km/h (39 mph) wind. It was horrible.

Old 05-25-2021, 09:14 PM

892 posts, read 1,498,233 times
As others mentioned, the heat index is pretty much just a subjective made up number based on feel, and really only is useful for comparing weather in the same place from day to day.

I can tell you from experience that identical heat index numbers in two vastly different locations means diddly squat, such as your Miami and Phoenix examples. I'm from Michigan, have lived in Phoenix for 15 years, and have spent a considerable amount of time near Miami and up the eastern coast of Florida. I was recently in Jensen Beach, which is a couple hours north of Miami, back in January. Even then, the temps were in the 70s, and it just felt plain muggy and nasty compared to Phoenix.

Right now, the heat index in Florida is 79*, and it's 89* here in Arizona. It feels quite pleasant to me here at home, and I can tell just by looking at the other weather numbers in Florida that it would feel downright disgusting to me.

But then there are people that would think the current outside temp of 93*, especially at night, to be downright oppressive regardless of humidity or heat index. I'm the opposite - I think places like Florida are downright oppressive, regardless of temp, because of the humidity levels. There's NEVER a time that coastal Florida feels "good" or "comfortable" to me, whereas I'm plenty comfortable in Phoenix for 9-10 months out of the year.

Old 05-26-2021, 05:50 PM

135 posts, read 134,487 times
Yes. At least in dry heat, it's cool in the shade. When it's humid, the shade isn't worth a crap. I've lived in both Florida and Oregon, so I can definitively say dry heat feels better. Take today: I live in Medford, Oregon. I just got back from a 45 minute walk. It's a bit on the hot side, 82 degrees, but there's a slight breeze blowing and it felt great in the shade, and I was barely sweating, so I felt okay. If it was 82 degrees in Tampa, being outside was misery.

Old 05-26-2021, 08:17 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,453,055 times
Heat index and wind chill are a bunch of contrived drivel designed for people who don't understand how weather works. The correct answer is to use the entire pair of statistics (temp, wind speed) for cold conditions, or (temp, dew pt) for hot conditions. To answer your question: no, distinct pairs of values will not in general feel similar at all, even if those two pairs give the same heat index or wind chill value.

Old 05-27-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Heat index and wind chill are a bunch of contrived drivel designed for people who don't understand how weather works. The correct answer is to use the entire pair of statistics (temp, wind speed) for cold conditions, or (temp, dew pt) for hot conditions. To answer your question: no, distinct pairs of values will not in general feel similar at all, even if those two pairs give the same heat index or wind chill value.
HI and Wind Chill aren't telling you what it "feels like", they're telling you how effectively your body can cool itself (heat index) or how quickly your body will lose heat (wind chill)

Old 05-27-2021, 08:15 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,453,055 times
Quote:
HI and Wind Chill aren't telling you what it "feels like", they're telling you how effectively your body can cool itself (heat index) or how quickly your body will lose heat (wind chill)

I know that NWS claims that, but it's not how most people understand it. Also the NWS claim itself is arrogant; wind chill for example is based on a number of assumptions and simplifications about how fast a "typical adult person" with "normal skin tissue resistance" would get frostbite, but there's no one-size-fits-all answer like that. All these weird assumptions can be found on the NWS wind chill page, it's obvious that there's nothing physically intrinsic about it like the actual air temp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather