Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 03:07 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwumavs View Post
Have you ever thought that maybe it's because extreme cold is not as unusual in Canada? And that the U.S. has 10 times the population?
Has it occurred to you that not everything is about the united states?

Now parts of the USA do get very cold like the mountain west and the bordering states of Canada. Extreme cold is unusual in where a large portion of where Canadians live like southern Ontario, southern Quebec and Southwestern British Colombia.

So yeah the news talks about the cold in the Midwest but not the adjustment areas of Canada?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 03:48 PM

99 posts, read 190,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Has it occurred to you that not everything is about the united states?

Now parts of the USA do get very cold like the mountain west and the bordering states of Canada. Extreme cold is unusual in where a large portion of where Canadians live like southern Ontario, southern Quebec and Southwestern British Colombia.

So yeah the news talks about the cold in the Midwest but not the adjustment areas of Canada?
Has it occurred to you that even where a large portion of Canadians live, the climate is considerably colder than where a large portion of Americans live? Southern Ontario might be warm for Canada, but the climate there is on par with Upstate New York and northern Michigan, which are both considered cold places in the U.S. Similarly, southern Quebec's climate is on par with that of northern New England and Minnesota, which are considered even colder places. I could see there being a news story if the Lower Mainland of British Columbia and Vancouver Island were hit with a "polar vortex," but there are far fewer people living there than in the large chunk of the United States where this "polar vortex" hit. Trust me, it's a much bigger deal when Atlanta gets hit with extreme cold than when Toronto does. As far as the Midwest getting attention, there are over twice as many people living in the Midwestern United States than ALL of Canada, and most of the Midwest has a warmer climate than even Southern Ontario. Additionally, there's the perception pretty much everywhere that Canada is a cold country, while the U.S. is a temperate one, so the U.S. is naturally going to get more attention internationally for an extreme cold weather event.

I don't know why you're so hung up on the "everything is about the united states" bit. I'm sensing some envy or jealousy on your part when there's nothing to be envious or jealous about.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:58 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
We aren't jealous.

We are British. British people ruled america.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Has it occurred to you that even where a large portion of Canadians live, the climate is considerably colder than where a large portion of Americans live? Southern Ontario might be warm for Canada, but the climate there is on par with Upstate New York and northern Michigan, which are both considered cold places in the U.S. Similarly, southern Quebec's climate is on par with that of northern New England and Minnesota, which are considered even colder places. I could see there being a news story if the Lower Mainland of British Columbia and Vancouver Island were hit with a "polar vortex," but there are far fewer people living there than in the large chunk of the United States where this "polar vortex" hit. Trust me, it's a much bigger deal when Atlanta gets hit with extreme cold than when Toronto does. As far as the Midwest getting attention, there are over twice as many people living in the Midwestern United States than ALL of Canada, and most of the Midwest has a warmer climate than even Southern Ontario. Additionally, there's the perception pretty much everywhere that Canada is a cold country, while the U.S. is a temperate one, so the U.S. is naturally going to get more attention internationally for an extreme cold weather event.

I don't know why you're so hung up on the "everything is about the united states" bit. I'm sensing some envy or jealousy on your part when there's nothing to be envious or jealous about.
Southern Ontario and southern Quebec isn't drastically different to the Midwest's climate. I'm not hung up on anything just telling it how it is. Which is that media sources around the world has disproportionately focused on the USA not even mentioning Southern Canada that is NOT use to near record cold temperatures. Do you think as soon as you get from Detroit to Windsor the local people suddenly think -20c temps are mild?

I'm not jealous of the USA at all LOL you're not even a regular member on here and my post was not to attack just to state the obvious. If Canada was unaffected by the coldwave I wouldn't of said anything. Its like a hurricane hitting Florida and Georgia but only bringing to attention that a hurricane hit Georgia... Is Florida in this case use to category 5 hurricanes?

Old 01-09-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
We aren't jealous.

We are British. British people ruled america.
What's your point?

Also, I sense that P London is a Canadian living in Britain, not a native Brit. Otherwise, why would s/he be so concerned about Canada not getting the attention s/he thinks it deserves?

Old 01-09-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
What's your point?

Also, I sense that P London is a Canadian living in Britain, not a native Brit. Otherwise, why would s/he be so concerned about Canada not getting the attention s/he thinks it deserves?
Your hilarious I'm British of Caribbean descent, thanks.

I'm not so concerned just curious I'm also curious why you think that Canada doesn't deserve the attention because Canada is use to the cold LOL

Toronto winters are almost identical to Chicago's, Montreal is similar to Minneapolis yet the news focused on the latter city.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:08 PM

Well my point was that americans seem to have this unhealthy obsession of bragging about how cold it is and comparing us to them even when we don't mention it.

And he is English.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Southern Ontario and southern Quebec isn't drastically different to the Midwest's climate. I'm not hung up on anything just telling it how it is. Which is that media sources around the world has disproportionately focused on the USA not even mentioning Southern Canada that is NOT use to near record cold temperatures. Do you think as soon as you get from Detroit to Windsor the local people suddenly think -20c temps are mild?

I'm not jealous of the USA at all LOL you're not even a regular member on here and my post was not to attack just to state the obvious. If Canada was unaffected by the coldwave I wouldn't of said anything. Its like a hurricane hitting Florida and Georgia but only bringing to attention that a hurricane hit Georgia... Is Florida in this case use to category 5 hurricanes?
Fair enough, but read what I wrote again: "There's the perception pretty much everywhere that Canada is a cold country, while the U.S. is a temperate one, so the U.S. is naturally going to get more attention internationally for an extreme cold weather event."

Also, anywhere where there's a larger number of people, the media is going to focus on that area with the large number of people. Why do you think they've focused so much on Superstorm Sandy, while hurricanes that hit places in the South each year get much less attention (aside from Katrina, of course).

Old 01-09-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
What's your point?

Well its not really Canada. Its just the fact that everything that happens in america is constantly on our news. Its irritating.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:12 PM

Ok but a weather forum is a wrong place to say that Canada is a cold country and the USA is temperate because both countries are predominately temperate and the border regions of the two countrisa are climatically the same. So my point is if Chicago gets broadcasted to the world because of cold coming from Canada than Toronto should too. Its not like Toronto, Montreal and Winnipeg for example are tiny hamlets...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather