Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 04:29 PM

1,244 posts, read 1,295,743 times

Advertisements

55°F/13°C in the bedroom, 63°F/17°C in the rest of the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 04:36 PM

2,714 posts, read 3,044,226 times
I have 19.5°C at the moment here in the living room, bed room is about 18°C.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:44 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,732,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
You open the windows at night? I had a housemate from Spain once and she would like to open up the windows because she thought having the fresh air is healthier. I convinced her not to do that, heating bills were a good incentive. Seemed like a European thing.
Not all night long, just before going to bed. Otherwise it's around 16°C and a bit too warm to fall asleep with the blanket. Quite silly as I just need to change blankets, but I like having a "heavy" one in winter. I never turn the heating on in my room (water radiators), but yeah I imgaine that it's already quite a drain on the apartment's heating system. The windows are single-glazed and the whole building is a wreck energy-wise though. It sometimes gets down to the single digits (°C) on cold evenings inside the room. Then I let the windows open for a shorter amount of time.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:54 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
When the temps get in the mid-50s, (°F - about 13°C), inside the house during the daytime, I turn the heat on to 66°F, (19°C). I turn the heat off when I climb into bed for the night and if I'm going to work the next morning, I don't bother turning on the heat cause I'll be out of the house within an hour or so.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:55 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Not all night long, just before going to bed. Otherwise it's around 16°C and a bit too warm to fall asleep with the blanket. Quite silly as I just need to change blankets, but I like having a "heavy" one in winter. I never turn the heating on in my room (water radiators), but yeah I imgaine that it's already quite a drain on the apartment's heating system. The windows are single-glazed and the whole building is a wreck energy-wise though. It sometimes gets down to the single digits (°C) on cold evenings inside the room. Then I let the windows open for a shorter amount of time.
Know someone from India, he says he sets his home heat (here, doubt he has heat back in India) to 72F/22C. He doesn't sleep with blankets, it's not normal for him.

Is heat in Parisan apartment buildings set and paid for by the owner? The usual for NYC is for the landlord to set the heat, which there's a legal minimum (my home temperature might be illegal in a NYC rental). They tend to go over the legal minimum, possibly because the heating system is old and uneven to make sure everyone gets the heat. Or the building has no thermostat at all and just blasts heat. Windows open and 70F inside! Same pattern I noticed in a San Francisco building.

A friend with their own apartment thermostat (in San Francisco) turned their heat on and off during the winter. Off the entire time I was there, was 62F inside. Locals seem to leave the heat off whenever possible.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:59 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by
I hear white women like to keep the house freezing cold. Usually in the upper 40's F
Not my experience. They usually want the house in the mid-70s °F, (about 23-24 °C). That's too dang hot!

Then again, I've never been with a woman, (how can we say this politely without offending anyone?). Let's say, never been with a woman with a BMI above 25, (the boundary between "healthy weight" and "overweight").

Old 01-13-2014, 05:18 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,732,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Know someone from India, he says he sets his home heat (here, doubt he has heat back in India) to 72F/22C. He doesn't sleep with blankets, it's not normal for him.

Is heat in Parisan apartment buildings set and paid for by the owner? The usual for NYC is for the landlord to set the heat, which there's a legal minimum (my home temperature might be illegal in a NYC rental). They tend to go over the legal minimum, possibly because the heating system is old and uneven to make sure everyone gets the heat. Or the building has no thermostat at all and just blasts heat. Windows open and 70F inside! Same pattern I noticed in a San Francisco building.

A friend with their own apartment thermostat (in San Francisco) turned their heat on and off during the winter. Off the entire time I was there, was 62F inside. Locals seem to leave the heat off whenever possible.
Depends. Where I live, radiators are set with a thermostatic valve that enables to maintain constant temperature in a room (depending on the dweller's preference). I've read stories about apartments with windows open and heat blasting. Sounds terrible for both the wallet and comfort.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:49 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
In Albuquerque, NM

14C to 17C

or

57F to 64F

Old 01-13-2014, 05:58 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
I rarely turn on the heater in my home (as more often than not it goes above 60 F during the daytime here) the temp is about 65 F (18 C) in my apartment usually. Though in the recent cold snap it fell down to 57 F (14 C)

Old 01-13-2014, 07:05 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
I prefer to keep my apartment at about 25C when I'm home even at night. I don't like sleeping with any covers and prefer to a warm room vs a cold room to sleep in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather