Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 09:13 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,801 times

Advertisements

I can't stand the reality tv crap. Good riddance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 10:13 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
You know what... I grew up GLUED to the Weather Channel and my "obsession" was more prevelant in the 90's

I have DirecTV and at first I was shocked but now... I honestly don't care.

Like I said earlier though... if I truly want to get my "weather fix" and get forecasts and model trends it's only a few clicks away. I don't need a TV anymore to tune into any weather station... and yes, even you Weather Channel.
Yup, me too... I've been following TWC since the 80s, I was also "glued". It helped with my weather passion having weather available to listen to and see 24/7.. And even now, I don't watch the miserable news so I still have that channel on in the background. But like you said, it's not a huge change nowadays, especially because I have the technology and models at my side. But I will miss their professional interpretation of things and just putting into perspective weather from other areas using live tv..

I wont be switching to cable but I probably wont be watching much Weathernation either. Might be a good thing for us.. even less tv to watch! lol

Old 01-14-2014, 10:33 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
I started typing a response to the OP, then I read this, which is pretty much *exactly* what I was going to respond with. I grew up with the weather channel on in my bedroom, dorm room, then office.

The Weather Channel is claiming that DirecTV is irresponsible for keeping weather information from people. Give me a break. The number of people who NEED television for weather forecasts is dwindling. Those who do need TV, and currently get TWC, already get many other channels. Broadcast doesn't carry TWC that I know of, so those people aren't customers of TWC anyway. People who have internet and/or smart phones (or even just weather radio), don't even need TV for weather at all.

IMO, TWC made a huge blunder with their bloated entertainment above information format. They did have a unique offering before, but not now, especially since other channels have filled in.

Somehow I stumbled on WeatherNation when scanning through my broadcast TV channels in Wisconsin. It's almost as good as the old Weather Channel (minus the rotating music on the 8s ). It's good background TV in my office when I'm in the Midwest, like TWC used to be at one time.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:44 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,298,740 times
I for one applaud DirecTV, and especially love this quote:

Quote:
Consumers understand there are now a variety of other ways to get weather coverage, free of reality show clutter, and that The Weather Channel does not have an exclusive on weather coverage – the weather belongs to everyone.

Most consumers don’t want to watch a weather information channel with a forecast of a 40 percent chance of reality TV. So with that in mind, we are in the process of discussing an agreement to return the network to our line-up at the right value for our customers.
The Weather Channel is trying to paint this as a matter of life and death. Which is hilarious because first it ignores that DirecTV replaced their slot with an ACTUAL all-weather station as well as provided customers with a list of alternative TV stations, websites, and smartphone apps for them to use for that purpose.

Second, if there's an actual severe weather situation, people should be checking their local news for updates anyway because it will give shelter locations, evacuation routes, and the like. The Weather Channel isn't going to break into what ever ****ty show they have on to give that information if it only applies to a small segment of the population. For them to suggest that their the ONLY good source for severe weather updates is actually irresponsible because it could leave people directly affected by the event with incomplete information.

Third, if the power goes out, having The Weather Channel isn't going to do a damn bit of good, which is why you keep a weather radio in your home.

For them to say "OMG DIRECTV IS RISKING YOUR LIVES BY DROPPING US" proves EXACTLY the point that DirecTV was making when they said that TWC thinks they have some kind of monopoly on weather information. DirecTV has definitely gone up a few points in my book (granted, that's from a pretty low starting point) and I like the replacement station better.

Last edited by DSS94; 01-14-2014 at 11:08 AM..

Old 01-14-2014, 11:01 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,933,605 times
They're looking for a "raise" to help pay for Sam Champion's salary I guess....

Old 01-14-2014, 11:03 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
I used to love TWC when it was about current weather and forecasts. Now it is just about weather reality. Hardly ever watch it anymore.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:03 AM

830 posts, read 1,538,664 times
Not sure if anyone commented on this yet...

I, too, used to watch TWC on local cable back in the '90s, and I used to like to watch the "Local on the 8s" or whatever it was called. More recently, we had DirecTV and I noticed that TWC broadcasts did not include any local weather. I have noted that TWC at some hotels which offer cable through local cable companies DOES still include local weather. It seems that on DirectTV the same broadcast goes out nationally, or at least to a wide market. (We, for instance, had the Boston market stations but live in another New England state about 100 miles away from Boston.) To me, this makes it much less interesting and useful. A couple years ago we switched to Roku and Aereo and no longer use DirecTV, but if I were still a DirecTV customer I would not be upset by them dropping TWC.

Anyway, The Weather Channel lost all credibility when they started naming winter storms.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:05 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS94 View Post
I for one applaud DirecTV, and especially love this quote:

The Weather Channel is trying to paint this as a matter of life and death. Which is hilarious because first it ignores that DirecTV replaced their slot with an ACTUAL all-weather station as well as provided customers with a list of alternative TV stations, websites, and smartphone apps for them to use for that purpose.

Second, if there's an actual severe weather situation, people should be checking their local news for updates anyway because it will shelter locations, evacuation routes, and the like. The Weather Channel isn't going to break into what ever ****ty show they have on to give that information if it only applies to a small segment of the population. For them to suggest that their the ONLY good source for severe weather updates is actually irresponsible because it could leave people directly affected by the event with incomplete information.

Third, if the power goes out, having The Weather Channel isn't going to do a damn bit of good, which is why you keep a weather radio in your home.

For them to say "OMG DIRECTV IS RISKING YOUR LIVES BY DROPPING US" proves EXACTLY the point that DirecTV was making when they said that TWC thinks they have some kind of monopoly on weather information. DirecTV has definitely gone up a few points in my book (granted, that's from a pretty low starting point) and I like the replacement station better.

I love that quote. A bunch of people on the subtropical forum are saying the same thing. TWC is no longer a weather channel. I turn it on every once in a while, and it is never live weather forecasts. Just crap shows like "Lifeguards", etc.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:28 AM

108 posts, read 150,633 times
I believe The Weather Channel was dropped by Dish Network back in 2010. TWC has only themselves to blame for this mess.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:28 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times
I've watched the Weather Channel continuously since about 2002, although I watched it a lot more attentively in the early to mid 2000s. I loved the Weather Channel around 2003 - it was about weather, severe weather updates were confidence inspiring, and the only reality show I remember was Storm Stories, which was an awesome show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather