Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2014, 08:13 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times

Advertisements

Good night for sleeping with open windows tonight. Cooling off nicely for sure thanks to the dryness. That air sure feels chilly coming in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 09:35 PM

29,522 posts, read 19,616,477 times
Heavy rain corridor has shifted north well into Wisconsin and west in Iowa

So we have been few weeks late for our 60 and 70 degree days, but today we hit 80F at both Chicago airports. Here is the normal arrival date of 80 degree temps at stations with different proximity to the lake

Quote:
Ask Tom why: When do the first 80-degree days of spring usually arrive in the Chicago area?
March 08, 2012

Dear Tom,

As a lover of warm weather, I always grow anxious for the first 80-degree days of spring. When do they usually arrive?

—Roger Schuler, Waukegan

Dear Roger,

The spring atmosphere is inexorably warming as the sun climbs higher into the sky and days grow longer, but in the Chicago area the forces of warming must do battle with powerful adversaries: the frigid waters of Lake Michigan and the familiar lake breeze, whose effect is to delay the arrival of spring warmth. The delay is greatest near the lake. Within about a mile of the lake, the average date of spring's first 80-degree day is May 4. Two or three miles inland, it's April 24; at five miles and farther inland, the average date is about April 20. Those dates are derived from temperature data observed in the Loop, the University of Chicago, Midway Airport and O'Hare International Airport.
Ask Tom why: When do the first 80-degree days of spring usually arrive in the Chicago area? - Chicago Tribune

Old 04-13-2014, 06:26 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
Supposed to hit 80+ F here today .

Heck, today at least the low is around 55 F. Tomorrow, the high is 78 F and low is 65 F, a disgusting steam bath . Really am not looking forward to turn on my A/C in April, but looks like its going to happen anyways.

People at my local breakfast place were complaining how hot it will be outside, so it is not just me who is grumpy about this weather.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 04-13-2014 at 07:03 AM..

Old 04-13-2014, 07:00 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Maybe just north of me might wake up to a "thin" white landscape Wednesday morning. Hope I see the flakes one last time.

Funny because NWS NY mentions it for here, but NWS Albany keeps it in the Adirondaks.

National Weather Service - Binghamton, NY - Text Data

Upton

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
720 AM EDT SUN APR 13 2014

SO IN SUMMARY...THERE WILL STILL BE A WIDESPREAD RAIN EVENT WITH THEPOTENTIAL FOR HEAVY RAIN AT TIMES ALONG WITH A CHANCE OF STRONG WINDGUSTS OF 40-50 MPH AT TIMES WITH THE HEAVIER RAIN. THE MAIN TIME FRAME FOR HEAVY RAIN AND WIND POTENTIAL WOULD BE TUESDAY AFTERNOON AND TUESDAY EVENING. LATE TUESDAY NIGHT...ENOUGH COLD AIRCOULD MOVE IN FOR LEFTOVER SNOW SHOWERS WITH LIGHT ACCUMULATIONS POSSIBLE NORTH AND WEST OF NEW YORK CITY. TEMPERATURES WILL BE MORE MARGINAL FOR SNOW ACCUMULATIONS CLOSE TO THE COAST...SO NOT EXPECTING ANY ACCUMULATIONS THERE

Albany:

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ALBANY NY
745 AM EDT SUN APR 13 2014

TUESDAY NIGHT... AT THIS POINTWE ARE ONLY LOOKING FOR
MAINLY LIGHT SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS ACROSS THE ADIRONDACKS...WITH
LITTLE OR NONE ACROSS MOST OF THE REMAINDER OF THE REGION. BY
WEDNESDAY MORNING...EVERYONE IS FORECAST TO DIP BELOW
FREEZING...MAINLY 20S...WITH SOME LOWER 30S IN THE HUDSON
VALLEY...BUT TEENS ACROSS THE ADIRONDACK PARK.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Maybe just north of me might wake up to a "thin" white landscape Wednesday morning. Hope I see the flakes one last time.

Funny because NWS NY mentions it for here, but NWS Albany keeps it in the Adirondaks.

National Weather Service - Binghamton, NY - Text Data

Upton

720 AM EDT SUN APR 13 2014

SO IN SUMMARY...THERE WILL STILL BE A WIDESPREAD RAIN EVENT WITH THEPOTENTIAL FOR HEAVY RAIN AT TIMES ALONG WITH A CHANCE OF STRONG WINDGUSTS OF 40-50 MPH AT TIMES WITH THE HEAVIER RAIN. THE MAIN TIME FRAME FOR HEAVY RAIN AND WIND POTENTIAL WOULD BE TUESDAY AFTERNOON AND TUESDAY EVENING. LATE TUESDAY NIGHT...ENOUGH COLD AIRCOULD MOVE IN FOR LEFTOVER SNOW SHOWERS WITH LIGHT ACCUMULATIONS POSSIBLE NORTH AND WEST OF NEW YORK CITY. TEMPERATURES WILL BE MORE MARGINAL FOR SNOW ACCUMULATIONS CLOSE TO THE COAST...SO NOT EXPECTING ANY ACCUMULATIONS THERE

Albany:

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ALBANY NY
745 AM EDT SUN APR 13 2014

TUESDAY NIGHT... AT THIS POINTWE ARE ONLY LOOKING FOR
MAINLY LIGHT SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS ACROSS THE ADIRONDACKS...WITH
LITTLE OR NONE ACROSS MOST OF THE REMAINDER OF THE REGION. BY
WEDNESDAY MORNING...EVERYONE IS FORECAST TO DIP BELOW
FREEZING...MAINLY 20S...WITH SOME LOWER 30S IN THE HUDSON
VALLEY...BUT TEENS ACROSS THE ADIRONDACK PARK.
Please send me a couple days of 43 F with overcast drizzle .

Old 04-13-2014, 07:14 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
Unbelievable. Almost a 20 degree difference in expected high temperatures between here and Wildwood (NJ shore). 64 is the expected high there, while it's 82 here.

Wish I had a place down there to go to escape the heat...

Old 04-13-2014, 07:37 AM

29,522 posts, read 19,616,477 times

Old 04-13-2014, 08:42 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Unbelievable. Almost a 20 degree difference in expected high temperatures between here and Wildwood (NJ shore). 64 is the expected high there, while it's 82 here.

Wish I had a place down there to go to escape the heat...
Yup. Should be interesting once the clouds move out. been cloudy all morning. Stuck in the 50s. Lit the wood stove to take chill out of house.

NWS NY mentioned the gradient yesterday. .

103 AM EDT SUN APR 13 2014

THESE WINDS OFF THE CHILLY WATER WILL RESULT IN LARGE TEMPERATURE
SPREADS ACROSS OUR CWA...WITH INTERIOR LOCATIONS RISING WELL INTO
THE 70S. COASTAL LOCATIONS WILL REMAIN MUCH COOLER AS HIGH
RESOLUTION ARW AND NMM INDICATE. THERE WILL BE A SHARP TEMPERATURE
GRADIENT SUNDAY...WITH EASTERN LONG ISLAND AND SOUTHEAST CT
STRUGGLING TO REACH THE 60 DEGREE MARK. TEMPS GET PROGRESSIVELY
WARMER AS YOU HEAD WEST TOWARD NYC...NE NJ...LOWER HUDSON VALLEY AND
PORTIONS OF INTERIOR SW CT

Old 04-13-2014, 10:14 AM

Its quite muggy here in NJ right now. I can really feel the high humidity.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:09 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,452,795 times
Second consecutive 80 degree day

Dew point is only 51 here, dry and very windy with 35mph gusts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather