Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 09:08 PM

24,144 posts, read 24,735,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Neat trees. Don't think I've seen them.
The wiki article says they have mostly been introduced in Washington, British Columbia and Alaska. Naturally it doesn't grow west of the Azores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 02:50 AM

3,597 posts, read 2,683,906 times
Rowan is a nice little tree, very hardy and tolerates a lot of wind. Common in all Scandinavia, even in the far north.

In my city, there are a lot of imported trees (maple, oak, European beech, horse chestnut etc), and many of those have proved able to produce seeds. Small maples are sprouting wherever there is some disturbed ground, where the seeds can reach to the soil. The lowland forest here will change, given enough time.

At the coast / outer seabord, Sitka spruce are actually outgrowing the native Norway spruce.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobsli View Post
In my city, there are a lot of imported trees (maple, oak, European beech, horse chestnut etc), and many of those have proved able to produce seeds..
Beech? Really? We don't have them at all here as garden trees as they don't like our cold winters. In the wild just a few small isolated groves exist:

Old 05-31-2014, 05:11 AM

Interesting map, I didn't know beech grew naturally in Finland at all.
It only grows naturally (or were introduced in Viking age) in a few small areas in southern Norway (near Larvik and near Bergen). But it tolerates the climate well, so beech just has not spread to it's maximum extent in Norway following the Ice Age. European beech is a common garden tree here, some are really large. I will take a photo and post here.

There area so many mountain ranges or fjords to cross in my country, making barriers for migration. And the lowland areas are often small compared to the surrounding areas, often as "climatic islands" surrounded by higher altitude terrain with mountain forest or alpine tundra. Not so much in the SE /Oslo area, where there is a continuous lowland area east to Sweden (or in the far NE Finnmark near Finland and Russia), but very much so along the west and NW coast. For this reason, these "climatic islands" (some very small, others are larger - like the lowland near Trondheimsfjord) surrounded by higher altitude terrain is often not represented at all at crude maps.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Interesting map, I didn't know beech grew naturally in Finland at all.
It only grows naturally (or were introduced in Viking age) in a few small areas in southern Norway (near Larvik and near Bergen). But it tolerates the climate well, so beech just has not spread to it's maximum extent in Norway following the Ice Age. European beech is a common garden tree here, some are really large. I will take a photo and post here.
Oh, I was unclear. No, beech doesn't grow naturally at all, those are all seeds escaped from gardens and arboretums. Also those findings are all recent, "oldest newest" are from the 1990's. Not said on the map there, but the prevalence is 0.0, so it's extremely rare. Please, take a picture, would be interesting to see an old Scandinavian one.

The other ones you mentioned grow naturally.

Maple, prevalence 15.0:

Oak, prevalence 7.0:

Linden, prevalence 5.0:

Ash is common mostly in Ã…land and the archipelago, doesn't really like the competition, 3.0:

Hazel, 3.0:

And of course the rowan is "fairly" common, with a prevalence of 90.0:

The sitka spruce hasn't been introduced here at all.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:16 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,875,616 times
Weather is just about perfect here today. 12-15°C and intermittently cloudy with fresh humid air. Gorgeous big summer clouds rolling by. Too bad another heatwave is on its way.

Last edited by Hiromant; 05-31-2014 at 08:54 AM..

Old 05-31-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Please, take a picture, would be interesting to see an old Scandinavian one.

Untill I find time to take a photo, here is one (not by me) of a beech (actually two) in the botanical garden in Trondheim:
https://bjorstad.files.wordpress.com...1/ringve1b.jpg

Last edited by Jakobsli; 05-31-2014 at 10:49 AM..

Old 05-31-2014, 02:05 PM

From the prevalence maps for species in Finland, it seems as ash (Fraxinus excelsior) is more common in Norway, the northernmost area of natuarlly occuring ash is to be found around Trondheimsfjord. Hazel is also more common in Norway, with the northernmost natural occurence even north of the Arctic Circle (Steigen, north of Bodø Steigen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Elm also grows naturally north of the Arctic Circle but only just. I have seen planted elm in Tromsø, growing to fairly tall trees.

For the other species you posted, it's comparable, although it seems the northernmost limit is often slightly further north in Norway, such as with oak (Quercus Robur), which grows a bit further north here naturally (63 N), just almost reaching Trondheimsfjord. Btw, does Sessile oak (Quercus petraea) grow naturally in Finland? It grows in southernmost Norway, reaching nearly 62 N along the coast. What about yew - Taxus baccata? It grows north to Molde (62 44 N) in Norway. Many planted in Trondheim (including my garden).
On the other hand, I know Black alder (Alnus glutinosa) grows further north in Finland than here.

Btw, the beech pictured in the link I posted, growing in Trondheim, has a circumference at chest height of 4.4 m.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
From the prevalence maps for species in Finland, it seems as ash (Fraxinus excelsior) is more common in Norway, the northernmost area of natuarlly occuring ash is to be found around Trondheimsfjord. Hazel is also more common in Norway, with the northernmost natural occurence even north of the Arctic Circle (Steigen, north of Bodø Steigen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Elm also grows naturally north of the Arctic Circle but only just. I have seen planted elm in Tromsø, growing to fairly tall trees.

For the other species you posted, it's comparable, although it seems the northernmost limit is often slightly further north in Norway, such as with oak (Quercus Robur), which grows a bit further north here naturally (63 N), just almost reaching Trondheimsfjord. Btw, does Sessile oak (Quercus petraea) grow naturally in Finland? It grows in southernmost Norway, reaching nearly 62 N along the coast. What about yew - Taxus baccata? It grows north to Molde (62 44 N) in Norway. Many planted in Trondheim (including my garden).
On the other hand, I know Black alder (Alnus glutinosa) grows further north in Finland than here.

Btw, the beech pictured in the link I posted, growing in Trondheim, has a circumference at chest height of 4.4 m.
I wouldn't find it surprising, as the winters are much milder in coastal Norway. Those prevalence maps show only the areas where the species are a part of the natural biome, while in the findings maps you can find species listed much further north, but they aren't natural growth, but escapees for gardens and cities. Often just a handful of species. For example the city of Oulu have commonly oak as a park tree.
Like on this oak map:

The soil is also in many parts sandy, rocky and dry, while less maritime, so therefore species like ash don't stand a chance for the birches, pines and spruces. Also as Finland has relied on forestry for so long, the forest have been manicured and altered for hundreds of years, restricting the success of different species.

Yew only grows anymore in Ã…land, it was completely wiped out from southern and central Finland during the little ice age, and sessile oak has never been introduced.

Black alder is quite common, and there's some small areas as far north as in the Rovaniemi valley:

The grey alder don't like the southern coasts at all:

Old 06-01-2014, 11:30 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,324,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susannah18 View Post
Recently I've seen black bears, grizzlies, elk, moose, deer, coyote and a few of these guys:
I've always wanted to see a bighorn sheep. I've seen mountain goats out west (Washington State). Saw deer a few days ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather