Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 11:59 AM

613 posts, read 1,168,487 times

Advertisements

What climates have cloudy days with little rain? I know Lima, Peru is one of these, so I guess cloudy desert or dry climates can occur.

What are the processes that make clouds common but no rain? I guess you can have lots of coastal fog but no rain. San Francisco is known for its fog but actually has lots of sunshine hours, unlike the UK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 08:18 PM

11,651 posts, read 12,945,840 times
The winters in Arica and Iquique in Chile are rather cloudy despite getting virtually no rainfall at all.

I'm aware that their Wikipedia sunshine data is rigged, but for very dry places (getting no more than 3mm of rain in a year) they are rather relatively cloudy. Otherwise the sunshine would've been as high as 3,800-4,000 (i.e, Aswan, Luxor).

Last edited by Ethereal; 05-01-2014 at 09:16 PM..

Old 05-02-2014, 10:25 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,677,991 times
Neumayer Station, Antarctica has a lot of these (in this case, the precipitation would be snow). I think it's because the precipitation doesn't actually fall in that place, but in another place.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:06 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,596,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
The winters in Arica and Iquique in Chile are rather cloudy despite getting virtually no rainfall at all.

I'm aware that their Wikipedia sunshine data is rigged, but for very dry places (getting no more than 3mm of rain in a year) they are rather relatively cloudy. Otherwise the sunshine would've been as high as 3,800-4,000 (i.e, Aswan, Luxor).
Iquique's minimum month gets 161 hours, but Antofagasta's least of 205 in June is a good tally and Calama as previously posted, averages about 297 in June. Calama does have some hilly territory in the mid-distance, which would reduce available daylight slightly, making its figures even more impressive.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:23 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
What climates have cloudy days with little rain? I know Lima, Peru is one of these, so I guess cloudy desert or dry climates can occur.

What are the processes that make clouds common but no rain? I guess you can have lots of coastal fog but no rain. San Francisco is known for its fog but actually has lots of sunshine hours, unlike the UK.
Coastal Southern California gets May Grey/June Gloom, particularly the San Diego area. Obviously it's not a year-round thing hence the name, but this explains the reasons why:

June Gloom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for other areas, here is an excerpt from the article:

Quote:
The condition is prevalent in many parts of the world where an offshore marine layer of stratus or stratocumulus clouds is common, such as the western coasts of continents—particularly off Peru, Namibia, Western Australia, atlantic Sahara and Northern California, particularly San Francisco. Such cloud systems are persistent year-round off the coast; in certain seasons they move ashore and create the cloudy, cool effect on land.[8] These places typically are located in a Mediterranean climate (Köppen climate classification Csa), but the effect occurs in other climate zones as well, where conditions are favorable. San Francisco has fog throughout much of the year, common through some of Northern California. Central California also has areas with cooler weather as the result of the fog through much of the year.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:20 AM

270 posts, read 481,664 times
Yeah, some coastal desert locations such as the surronding cities near the Atacama desert have a cloudy but a extremely dry climate because of the Humboldt Current, which is a cool, wet marine current that come from the South Pole where it's extremely cold and that goes along the west coast of the South America. This current is the consequence of the upwelling effect and considerably cools off and dries out the hot, tropical climate but is responsible of a much cloudier climate by forming lots of low clouds and fog, especially the camanchaca. The Atacama desert, itself, doesn't have this abundant cloud cover because the Andes Mountains and the other minor mountains ranges block the clouds and the fog along the coast. The other driest places on the world, which are essentially located in the Sahara desert (Egypt, Sudan, Libya) have an extremely low, a nearly non-existent cloud cover, with a sunshine duration between 3,700 hours and which can even go over 4,000 hours annually.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:14 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Seems also possible in places with a minor rain shadow. Mountains catch most of the rain, but the clouds still reach further. In the winter, a place like Spokane is almost as cloudy as Seattle but a lot drier:

Spokane, Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-30-2014, 02:17 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,661,538 times
Lack of convection due to low sun angle, would be an obvious cause for mid to high latitudes during winter.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:22 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
I remember the poster from Eugene, OR had a cloudy but rather dry winter month. Valley cloud trapped. Some parts of British Columbia get a similar pattern.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:23 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,644,973 times
We can be cloudy for three weeks straight (or longer) during the months of October through January. I think December is the worse with it only being sunny 17% of the time. Did I tell you that we are semi-arid, so we don't get rain very often? When the rain or snow does come, it tends to clear out the valley cloud. When we get those cloudy stretches they are almost always dry spells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather