Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 02:01 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,921 times

Advertisements

I guess 90F. Neither are that bad. Now if it was -15 or 120, that would be harder...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 02:06 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,589,659 times
Here's another scenario, (I just grabbed BBQ response with a opposite affects.)

lets say you wake up in the morning and want to take a quick drive down to the shops to buy a few things and some beer.

In 90F, this would be a very simple task, simply slap on a shirt and shorts (takes all of 1 minute), grab ya keys and start ya car up. (Now using the scenario from below, let's make this sound worse! It's not that easy seeing that the humidity and warmth brought once again some late night thunderstorms and the streets are flooded, depends if you live in a low lying area. NOW, you have to rethink just going out in shorts and shirts, as the mosquitos are out, so you have to put on some spray, and maybe some lotion. If your car were in the shade, maybe you could go straight out, but just as it takes time to warm up a car, some people need to cool one down. You're not so much as nervous driving as you're sweating buckets in your car and know that it will be hot again as you get back in it. You might even take a light sweater with you if you go into an air-conditioned store that might feel cold for you.)

In 0F, you will have to find appropriate clothing and then layer them on. Then you try to start your car, but the bloody thing won't turn over. After 5 tries, you get her started, but have to wait 5 minutes for the engine to warm up. You might then have to shovel a crapload of snow out of the way. If you have steep icy driveway, then good luck with that ****, it's another several minutes to apply the snow chains (or winter tires, which is another chore that is unnecessary in the 90F scenario). Then you deal with icy roads, maintaining a low speed and a sharp, nervous grip on the wheel just incase you hit a patch of ice, and there is the chance that there will be unplowed roads and/or parking spots on the way/at your destination. If you do make it to the shops, you then have to peel off all your layers as the temp inside is comparatively boiling. Once you checkout, it's back on with the layers, hoping your car will start then slowly struggling home to avoid skidding on the invisible ice patches. ( now let's make this easy! Grab your jacket, sweats, hat and gloves and while initially cold inside your car at first, you're already dressed up so a quick go to the shop and all you really need to do is take off your hat, gloves and put them in your pocket as you shop and go right back outside!)

Don't take it personal, I was just joshing with you. The point is, it's really just not that simple. Though I'll admit for this scenario 90 would probably work easier, but then there's scenarios of being outside for extreme periods of time, out in suits, etc..

Old 01-23-2014, 02:13 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
Anything above 86 F is downright oppressive. In NJ, 86 F feels more like 103 F with 60-75 % afternoon humidity and intense sun .

Below freezing is OK and absolutely beautiful if its clear and sunny, but below 10 F is too cold regardless of conditions.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:22 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
90F easily as it's likely in the below freezing scenario, you'd have to drive on slippery roads with ice and snow which can be dangerous even with snow tires.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:50 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
I experienced all these things today why do you dispute it?
Because your depiction of life at 0F is a gross exaggeration, at least it is for those who live in these temps regularly. I'll grant you the dressing part; it's much faster and easier in the heat than the cold. But it was -15F here this morning and has snowed over the past few days. Cars run fine and driving, while a tad slower, is not the nail biting experience you depicted. So there were only two explanations for what you wrote. Either you were making it up or you were exaggerating. Now we know you were using hyperbole.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:58 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,452,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Because your depiction of life at 0F is a gross exaggeration, at least it is for those who live in these temps regularly. I'll grant you the dressing part; it's much faster and easier in the heat than the cold. But it was -15F here this morning and has snowed over the past few days. Cars run fine and driving, while a tad slower, is not the nail biting experience you depicted. So there were only two explanations for what you wrote. Either you were making it up or you were exaggerating. Now we know you were using hyperbole.
I didn't depict anything, that was BBQ King, but I'll share my experience from yesterday when it was 0F. Following the already absurd 10 minutes to scrape and rid the car's surface of ice and snow, I had to try 7 times to get the engine to start because it was too cold. After spending another 7 or 8 minutes allowing the motor to warm up sufficiently, I figured it was finally business as usual. I pulled out of my driveway and the car began making loud grinding and squeaking noises I had never heard before. That doesn't strike me as "running fine", but whatever you're the expert. When there was enough of a clearing I started to pull out of my neighborhood onto the main road. But instead, when I pressed on the gas I went nowhere because the back right tire was spinning in place in the slush. By the time my car finally started to slide free and onto the road, there were more cars coming and I had to abruptly stop again to avoid skidding in front of a semi truck.

P.S. It's important to note that since I don't have a state of the art BMW with traction control kept in a garage overnight, that means I made all of this up.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:51 PM

459 posts, read 619,853 times
90F + is good for me, anything below 60F gets me on edge and below freezing makes me mentally ill, seriously.
My SAD is more to do with temperature than light.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:16 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,667,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
If you really think this is what life in the winter is like, you must not live in a cold weather state.
Actually all of the things that you have bold are true and occur very often here in the winter.

Last night coming home before midnight it was -28F with a windchill of -47F.

Car takes forever to heat up, need to drive much slower because of icy conditions. Once you get in the store or a building you are absolutely roasting because of all the layers of clothing.

The list goes on and on.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:19 PM

327 posts, read 774,539 times
I've spent a lot of my life in cold climates and I'm happy to be out of them. I've also noticed my skin does much better in warmer climates. My hands and feet crack in the winter when it gets cold, and it gets worse as I get older.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:06 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,934,485 times
90 really isn't that bad at all. High below freezing means it's even colder the rest of the day. With a high at 90 you're spending a lot more time in the 70s and 80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather