Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 01:45 PM

233 posts, read 333,348 times

Advertisements

So I will be moving out to Hamburg very soon!

In Germany, Hamburg is reputed to have Germany's worst weather, which is about the same reputation Seattle has in the US. By worst weather, I mean overcast, drizzly, misty and cool weather year round.

I am not sure whether Seattle gets some rain storms during fall over the Pacific but when I was in Hamburg once, it happened that strong winds with light rain hit bad the city and ended up flooding the Elbe river. I heard that it happens quite frequently (even in the UK) because of the turbulent North Sea.

Sunshine levels in Hamburg are worse than Seattle and by far! But then I am doubting whether Seattle's sunshine hours on wiki are ever correct? (I mean 2,170 hrs in Seattle!! It is almost the same what Southern France gets, can it be?)

Seattle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hamburg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also any other (more accurate/ correct) websites are welcome to be provided
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 01:57 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,377,808 times
Seattle's climate is odd for an oceanic climate in that summer is quite sunny which boosts Seattle's sunshine hours. Summer storms are also very rare in Seattle. However winter and autumn is wet and by judging by the forecasts 5 days can have near continuous rain.

Hamburg's summers are cloudier and wetter with more summer storms, Hamburg is definitely cloudier.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:12 PM

2,617 posts, read 3,453,710 times
USA uses different method of calculating sunshine hours from Europe so Seattle's sunshine hours look overstated, but it still much sunnier than Hamburg. If Seattle's sunshine was calculated by European standards, it would probably be about 1900 hours (Seattle's sunshine is probably not much different from Vancouver's: Climate of Vancouver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

Old 02-01-2014, 04:04 PM

2,714 posts, read 3,043,060 times
Sitting close to Hamburg (50 miles west) i would say, generally it is a cloudy city but mainly so in late fall and winter.

Mid and late Spring though tend to be the sunniest time of the year (since Northern Germany is often influenced by High pressure systems during that time) and also the then still cool North Sea water plays a role here.
Also summer is mostly fairly sunny with some unsettled cooler periods with showers and storms in between, but long periods without sunshine are very rare during summer.

In late Fall and Early Winter however the gloom is quite the norm here, you can have days and sometimes even one or two weeks with overcast, gloomy weather on end. November to January are the worst sunshine wise and also keep in mind that the days are considerably shorter here, so on winter solstice you have only about 7.5 hours of daylight (roughly sunrise about 8:30 AM, sunset 4:00 PM) so on gloomy days it gets dark very early and light very late.
But from February onwards sunshine hours start to increase considerably again.

Hope this helps you a bit and enjoy your stay in Hamburg!

And btw Hamburg is still cloudier i think, even if you keep the overstated sunshine hours of Seattle in mind.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:40 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,596,368 times
Southern France gets far more than 2170 hrs - up to 2900 in parts. Seattle's measuerements in non-US style would probabaly be aorund 1900 hrs, and still much sunnier than Hamburg.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:48 AM

I didn't know at all that the US has a different way to calculate sunshine hours. If Seattle has 1900 hours, that makes more sense and its totally true that the summers in Seattle are quite sunny which boosts the total yearly sunshine duration.
Is there any website/ forums that discuss how sunshine calculation is computed in Europe and how does it differ from the one in the US?
Its weird that the US gloomiest big city Seattle is sunnier than most Europe (Paris, London, Amsterdam, Berlin, Milano, Munich...). I am wondering how Americans are surviving European weather in those cities if they complain a lot about the lack of sun in Seattle.

I already know that Germany has nice springs because I used to live in Munich and the springs can sometimes be surprisingly sunnier than late summers. Thanks for the detailed climatic information "The East Frisian"!

Old 02-02-2014, 01:10 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,803,018 times
the german wiki has some information on monthly mean humidity as well

Hamburg

Old 10-18-2014, 08:42 AM

Updates on my stay so far in Hamburg:

Hamburg is wonderful, especially when the sun shines, which does not happen so often..
But hey I just noticed that for the 6 "summer months" (Sommerhalbzeit in German), Hamburg isn't that gloomy at all as I thought.

From the 1st of April till the 30th of September, I didn't feel any "depression" of its kind because it was too overcast or rainy/ windy. According to the DWD (German meteorological service), sunshine hours in those months year 2014 were:

April: 163 hrs (avg: 172)
May: 192 hrs (avg: 223)
June: 191 hrs (avg: 199)
July: 255 hrs (avg: 215)
August: 195 hrs (avg: 203)
September: 169 hrs (avg: 145)

So during those six sunniest months in Hamburg, there were only two good sunny months (July and September) and still I didn't feel it too gloomy. There was one week in May and one week in August, where it was bad but as for July and September, I remember they were wonderful and I couldn't ask for better temperatures and sunshine hours.
During those two months, Hamburg was the sunniest part in Germany only after the coastal regions of the North and Baltic Seas.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:24 PM

486 posts, read 445,173 times
Hamburg has less sunshine than Seattle but you have to take hours of daylight into consideration.

Late December and January

Hamburg has about 6hr and 50min of daylight.

Seattle has about 9hr of daylight.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:28 PM

486 posts, read 445,173 times
Hamburg is a better climate because it actually gets snow in the winter. Seattle!s winters are too mild.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather