Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the biggest reason why you don't like Florida/Gulf Coast summers?
Flooding/hurricanes. Otherwise, the summers aren't that bad, and sometimes even enjoyable. 19 31.67%
Humidity. I hate it even more than hurricanes! 41 68.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 05:08 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,962,502 times

Advertisements

They're really not that awful. I'll take mugginess and rain over dry brown hills, rainless, breezeless, cloudless days with triple-digit heat waves and horrible smog (all of which are part of summer in the "perfect" weather of Inland Empire and San Joaquin Valley of California!)

Be honest. Is the humidity really that bad? Or is it simply that you don't like the flooding/hurricanes and that otherwise, summers on the Gulf Coast are actually very comfortable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 05:14 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Who ever said the Inland Empire and San Joaquin Valley have perfect weather?

When people say SoCal has perfect weather, they're thinking of the weather in coastal San Diego, Newport Beach, Santa Monica, etc. Not Hemet or Fresno.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:22 PM

276 posts, read 135,829 times
Florida has good weather but is too cool in winter

Old 02-24-2019, 05:42 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,248,616 times
It's the worst summer on the planet for my area on the gulf. A never ending reverse west windflow with little rain or no rain for weeks at a time, insane dew points of 74f to 84f, solid sunshine day after day while people 2 to 20 miles inland from me get much more rain. Nasty lows of 77 to 84f for months at a time. Never see smog here as that is a LA thing.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:50 PM

29,522 posts, read 19,616,477 times
Love Florida/Gulf Coast summers. Other than the bugs

Forget summer, it 90 degrees right now

https://twitter.com/NWSMiami/status/1099825826126852098

Old 02-24-2019, 07:01 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Florida/Gulf Coast summers are great. Beach weather every day

Old 02-24-2019, 11:01 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,962,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
It's the worst summer on the planet for my area on the gulf. A never ending reverse west windflow with little rain or no rain for weeks at a time, insane dew points of 74f to 84f, solid sunshine day after day while people 2 to 20 miles inland from me get much more rain. Nasty lows of 77 to 84f for months at a time. Never see smog here as that is a LA thing.
Do you prefer smog or humidity? Take you pick.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:04 AM

5 posts, read 6,639 times
Default I call the Weather in NW Florida-The Bermuda Triangle of Weather

I was born in the Destin/Pensacola area and have lived all over the USA, and I will tell you, HANDS DOWN, this area has the most bizarre and awful weather of anywhere I have lived form California to the Atlantic, from Key West to The Great Lakes. First, the winters are usually FREEZING cold with the humidity in the 90% range most of the time, the temperatures can go down in the 20's or TEENS, and the colder it gets the harder the wind blows. It cuts through you to the bone. I had a friend from Michigan who moved here and almost froze to death with the temperature in the 30's. You feel like you are stuck in a freezer with the fan blowing all the time.

The summers are SOOOO HOT, usually in the upper 90's with never a breeze, along with the humidity which can and does go to 100%, it feels like you have fallen in a hot vat of syrup the minute you walk outside. Of course, the worst part of the winter is after Christmas and the worst part of the summer starts in July, but usually there is no Spring nor Fall temperatures. I have seen the temperature drop in the fall/winter from the 70's during the day to the 30's at night-that is right-a 40 degree drop from day to night!

But the worst part is, it is either constantly scorching in the summer, freezing in the winter and raining, raining, raining. The city in the USA with the most rainy days is not Seattle, Wa. as most think, it is actually Mobile, Al., which is about 80 miles away. That should tell you something. So, if you are a person who is indoors at least 75% of the time, you might be o.k. here, BUT if you like the outdoors, STAY AWAY! There is an old saying in this part of "Florida", if you don't like the weather here, wait 15 minutes, it will change!!! And, this doesn't even start to tell about the tornados in the spring which are rampant, or the hurricanes that have struck the panhandle-more than any other area of the USA 10 times over. OH, And the wind blows in circles, no joke, figure that one out!

And, Crestview, Fl.has the worst temps in the area and drugs, drugs, drugs, very high crime in Okaloosa and Walton counties and people in this area are RUDE! Nothing here much for entertainment, no restaurants, it stinks all the way around! I wound up back here for family sickness and am looking to leave as fast as possible!

Old 02-25-2019, 12:12 AM

5 posts, read 6,639 times
Default There are several Gulf Coast Locations with very Different Weather.

The weather in Tampa Bay where I lived for several years is totally different than the Panhandle, or NW Florida region, also different weather in the Crystal River area. But, as I said before all were tolerable except the Panhandle where I was born and raised for 18 years. It, by far, has the worst weather of anywhere I have lived.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:22 AM

276 posts, read 135,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siafuyu View Post
I was born in the Destin/Pensacola area and have lived all over the USA, and I will tell you, HANDS DOWN, this area has the most bizarre and awful weather of anywhere I have lived form California to the Atlantic, from Key West to The Great Lakes. First, the winters are usually FREEZING cold with the humidity in the 90% range most of the time, the temperatures can go down in the 20's or TEENS, and the colder it gets the harder the wind blows. It cuts through you to the bone. I had a friend from Michigan who moved here and almost froze to death with the temperature in the 30's. You feel like you are stuck in a freezer with the fan blowing all the time.

The summers are SOOOO HOT, usually in the upper 90's with never a breeze, along with the humidity which can and does go to 100%, it feels like you have fallen in a hot vat of syrup the minute you walk outside. Of course, the worst part of the winter is after Christmas and the worst part of the summer starts in July, but usually there is no Spring nor Fall temperatures. I have seen the temperature drop in the fall/winter from the 70's during the day to the 30's at night-that is right-a 40 degree drop from day to night!

But the worst part is, it is either constantly scorching in the summer, freezing in the winter and raining, raining, raining. The city in the USA with the most rainy days is not Seattle, Wa. as most think, it is actually Mobile, Al., which is about 80 miles away. That should tell you something. So, if you are a person who is indoors at least 75% of the time, you might be o.k. here, BUT if you like the outdoors, STAY AWAY! There is an old saying in this part of "Florida", if you don't like the weather here, wait 15 minutes, it will change!!! And, this doesn't even start to tell about the tornados in the spring which are rampant, or the hurricanes that have struck the panhandle-more than any other area of the USA 10 times over. OH, And the wind blows in circles, no joke, figure that one out!

And, Crestview, Fl.has the worst temps in the area and drugs, drugs, drugs, very high crime in Okaloosa and Walton counties and people in this area are RUDE! Nothing here much for entertainment, no restaurants, it stinks all the way around! I wound up back here for family sickness and am looking to leave as fast as possible!

Ahhh, another person with the ‘40C with 100% humidity’ mindset

You realise that kind of few point has never happened on Earth and never will
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather