U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 09:24 PM

613 posts, read 959,493 times

Advertisements

Do these places have a "double dormancy" where plants can't grow because it's too cold in the cold winter, even if it is wet (when it is below freezing) and also can't grow in the hottest time of summer (for lack of rain) so that there is brown/barren vegetation twice in the year and lush green in spring, or perhaps fall?

I've never been to a climate like this so I am curious as to what the seasonal changes look like? Is there only a short peak of green growth where vegetation is sandwiched between the dry and the cold?

I'm talking about a climate like this, but with maybe even colder winters.

Tehran - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or perhaps one like this with more rain overall but a long dry season in summer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabul#G...nd_environment

I know there are some examples in the old world (central Asia, the Middle East) but I can't seem to find on Wikipedia where I saw them first. I'm talking places with months of freezing but where there is lots of precipitation and then hot, dry continental summers with barely any rain.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 07:12 AM

234 posts, read 268,830 times
Konya in Turkey has also a similar climate. Check it out on wiki.
I think small trees and shrubs are common in those regions: greenish in winter, turning to yellow in summer. I am not an expert in vegetation but interesting question!

Old 04-24-2016, 12:19 AM

22,301 posts, read 8,859,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
Do these places have a "double dormancy" where plants can't grow because it's too cold in the cold winter, even if it is wet (when it is below freezing) and also can't grow in the hottest time of summer (for lack of rain) so that there is brown/barren vegetation twice in the year and lush green in spring, or perhaps fall?

I've never been to a climate like this so I am curious as to what the seasonal changes look like? Is there only a short peak of green growth where vegetation is sandwiched between the dry and the cold?

I'm talking about a climate like this, but with maybe even colder winters.

Tehran - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or perhaps one like this with more rain overall but a long dry season in summer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabul#G...nd_environment

I know there are some examples in the old world (central Asia, the Middle East) but I can't seem to find on Wikipedia where I saw them first. I'm talking places with months of freezing but where there is lots of precipitation and then hot, dry continental summers with barely any rain.
Boise, ID is prob one of the best examples

Old 04-24-2016, 05:05 PM

751 posts, read 558,376 times
We sort of have that here. I mean, most plants are evergreens and our winters aren't THAT cold, but I used to mow lawns in high school and there were basically two times of year where the grass was long: March-June and again in October.

Old 04-13-2019, 12:20 AM

19 posts, read 22,103 times
The Dalles, Oregon is probably THE quintessential example of such a climate. The natural landscape is really only green from mid-March through mid-May. On rare occasions we get a "second spring" in October or early November IF we get lots of early fall rain.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:45 AM
Status: "Back in Indiana, for now..............." (set 3 days ago)

Location: In climate zone Cfa/hardiness zone 8a /zip code 76131
3,974 posts, read 2,511,228 times
I heard that global warming means that the Midwest may one day have such a climate, that is, if those alarmist predictions come to fruition.

Old 04-13-2019, 12:28 PM

787 posts, read 492,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
I heard that global warming means that the Midwest may one day have such a climate, that is, if those alarmist predictions come to fruition.
Anthropogenic global warming is happening, and definitely isn't alarmist, but I'm not sure how the Midwest would suddenly develop a Mediterranean climate without having a subtropical anticyclone to its southwest and a persistent low pressure system to its northwest.

Old 04-13-2019, 12:41 PM
Status: "Back in Indiana, for now..............." (set 3 days ago)

Location: In climate zone Cfa/hardiness zone 8a /zip code 76131
3,974 posts, read 2,511,228 times
^^^^^^^^^^^

I was thinking that the Midwest might someday have a dry summer continental climate(Dsa), not Mediterranean since a Mediterranean climate would imply the Midwest would have a subtropical component something I doubt will ever happen for the Midwest

Old 04-13-2019, 03:39 PM
BMI

7,474 posts, read 5,352,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^

I was thinking that the Midwest might someday have a dry summer continental climate(Dsa), not Mediterranean since a Mediterranean climate would imply the Midwest would have a subtropical component something I doubt will ever happen for the Midwest
I doubt the midwest will have a dry enough summer to qualify ...too much Gulf of Mexico
moisture and humidity to tap into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or