Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 10:50 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,323,889 times

Advertisements

I am not a hardcore weather fanatic in terms of knowing all the terminology etc of others here, my knowledge is basically limited to viewing the "calendar" in wunderground, my obsession are the averages which to me are normals and what it's doing now vs what it's SUPPOSED to be doing and also how what it's doing compares to the past historically.

To that end, what I'm interested in is what the all-time LOWEST daytime high is for a given area and date. I'm east of Dallas and today and yesterday it only got up to about 63 or 65 when the normal is around 85. That HAS to be some sort of record--and yes, I'm upset about it, but I'll save the "rant" for some other thread. I would just like to know what research can furnish me the all-time record for lowest daytime high for a given date, as well as highest night-time low. (It would interest me, for instance, to see if there was a time where it was December and yet it got "down" to 63 at night, that would sure be strange.)

Last edited by shyguylh; 05-19-2016 at 11:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 01:46 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,379,917 times
I'm not sure how far east of Dallas you are - but you're right that the lowest high temp for Tyler, TX since 1984 is 63 F yesterday. The lowest previous one was 71 F in 1985, so it broke the record by a lot.

You need to go to the Shreveport, LA NWS page, click on "local climate" and then "NOWData" and click on "climatology for a day" and choose whatever date.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I'm not sure how far east of Dallas you are - but you're right that the lowest high temp for Tyler, TX since 1984 is 63 F yesterday. The lowest previous one was 71 F in 1985, so it broke the record by a lot.

You need to go to the Shreveport, LA NWS page, click on "local climate" and then "NOWData" and click on "climatology for a day" and choose whatever date.
Thanks for the tips. I wish there was a way to "permalink" that spot, it took some doing for me to find exactly where to click. (The initial link was http://www.srh.noaa.gov/shv/, then "local climate" was in the blue area {"climate, local"} on the left, then NOWData was the right-most blue tab in the main page area, then I can click the city on the left under "1. Location" (or keep it there and change it again later) then "2. Product" would be "climatology for a day" then "3. Options" I can select the date range then under "4. View" I would click "go." (Yes, I really do have to have it spelled out that precisely for it to not take me all day to find what I'm looking for.)

These are notes to myself if that's OK--besides seeing at the beginning the chronology of what the high was for that date with each year, the key part is underneath where it's showing the "Maximum" (daytime high) and it shows the max/min of those. The MIN of that is what I was asking about. Also, underneath, you see "Minimum" and the "max" of that is what I was talking about.

Last edited by shyguylh; 05-20-2016 at 09:22 AM..

Old 05-20-2016, 09:29 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,464,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Thanks for the tips. I wish there was a way to "permalink" that spot, it took some doing for me to find exactly where to click. (The initial link was NWS, then "local climate" was in the blue area {"climate, local"} on the left, then NOWData was the right-most blue tab in the main page area, then I can click the city on the left under "1. Location" (or keep it there and change it again later) then "2. Product" would be "climatology for a day" then "3. Options" I can select the date range then under "4. View" I would click "go." (Yes, I really do have to have it spelled out that precisely for it to not take me all day to find what I'm looking for.)

These are notes to myself if that's OK--besides seeing at the beginning the chronology of what the high was for that date with each year, the key part is underneath where it's showing the "Maximum" (daytime high) and it shows the max/min of those. The MIN of that is what I was asking about. Also, underneath, you see "Minimum" and the "max" of that is what I was talking about.
Most of this info can be found in the sticky at the very top of the forum: //www.city-data.com/forum/weath...cord-data.html

See post #66 in particular.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Most of this info can be found in the sticky at the very top of the forum: //www.city-data.com/forum/weath...cord-data.html

See post #66 in particular.
Thank you very much, I will check that out.

I will "vent" just a little bit--man, if I came into a lot of money, I swear I'd fly the coop and move to the desert where things make some sense. I just can't fathom this. I mean, out of a given week, we are lucky to get 3 sunny days. Many times, we will have only 1 or 2 such days and the other 5 or even 6 are downright overcast. Why doesn't it ever do this when it's flirting with 100? Why do this so often during the period when it's in the 70s and 80s, but then blare sunny day after sunny day when it's 95 and 100? One crazy couple of days here and there is one thing, but this thing of being overcast and gray it does it so freaking often.

I miss those Tucson AZ days when from March to May you had maybe 2-3 cloudy days TOTAL out of those 90. THEN, in the summer, when it starts becoming brutally hot, THEN it starts having more rain. That just makes so much more sense. The weather here is just stupid, and is that way so much of the time. One crazy day now and then, OK, but around here it's an ungoing thing. The local PO Box lady said to me lots of people, not just me, have been complaining about it being so depressing and gray for so much of the time.

I lived through winter, I paid my dues, I served my time. This is MY time, when it's warm but not hot. I would dare say I think I am ENTITLED, yes ENTITLED, to that sort of weather--that is, 75-85 straight through from May 1st to the 31st (and most of April, although more in the range of 70-75 then) without a single day of interruption. Well, to be a bit more reasonable, if it were that way 5 days and then goofy for the other 2 (just don't have it always be Sat & Sun as the 2 days), OK life's not perfect, but come on already. This is just stupid. It's even causing my Christianity stance to be compromised, because I have a hard time not being spiteful towards a God with the inclination for weather like this. To me, Pluto Goofy and Daffy Duck high on PCP could do a better job than this.

Old 05-21-2016, 12:31 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,688,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Thank you very much, I will check that out.

I will "vent" just a little bit--man, if I came into a lot of money, I swear I'd fly the coop and move to the desert where things make some sense. I just can't fathom this. I mean, out of a given week, we are lucky to get 3 sunny days. Many times, we will have only 1 or 2 such days and the other 5 or even 6 are downright overcast. Why doesn't it ever do this when it's flirting with 100? Why do this so often during the period when it's in the 70s and 80s, but then blare sunny day after sunny day when it's 95 and 100? One crazy couple of days here and there is one thing, but this thing of being overcast and gray it does it so freaking often.

I miss those Tucson AZ days when from March to May you had maybe 2-3 cloudy days TOTAL out of those 90. THEN, in the summer, when it starts becoming brutally hot, THEN it starts having more rain. That just makes so much more sense. The weather here is just stupid, and is that way so much of the time. One crazy day now and then, OK, but around here it's an ungoing thing. The local PO Box lady said to me lots of people, not just me, have been complaining about it being so depressing and gray for so much of the time.

I lived through winter, I paid my dues, I served my time. This is MY time, when it's warm but not hot. I would dare say I think I am ENTITLED, yes ENTITLED, to that sort of weather--that is, 75-85 straight through from May 1st to the 31st (and most of April, although more in the range of 70-75 then) without a single day of interruption. Well, to be a bit more reasonable, if it were that way 5 days and then goofy for the other 2 (just don't have it always be Sat & Sun as the 2 days), OK life's not perfect, but come on already. This is just stupid. It's even causing my Christianity stance to be compromised, because I have a hard time not being spiteful towards a God with the inclination for weather like this. To me, Pluto Goofy and Daffy Duck high on PCP could do a better job than this.
Wow, all this just because of a 65 high in May
But I can understand, it's a record cold where you live, so I get you maybe annoyed. Don't worry, though, you'll get to constant 90's everyday very soon, don't get annoyed

Old 05-21-2016, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
Wow, all this just because of a 65 high in May
But I can understand, it's a record cold where you live, so I get you maybe annoyed. Don't worry, though, you'll get to constant 90's everyday very soon, don't get annoyed
That's actually my point. Constant 90s everywhere is torture for most of us, and that includes me. I like warm weather, but not HOT weather. Thus, this time period, when it's typically in the mid 80s, I want it to do that, CONSTANTLY, rather than zipping all over the place and ESPECIALLY being freaking cloudy. If you (the climate) want to be 20 degrees below normal and be cloudy 5 days a week, do that when it's in the 90s everyday and sweltering, making it 75-80 and cloudy. Who's going to complain about that? Heck, even I won't, I will consider it relief, as during the summer every great now and then you'll have a period of cloudiness during the day and when it does so I'm like "ah, relief!" because when it's in the 90s everyday sunshine burns. When it's in the 80s, it feels euphoric and so I'm like "leave it alone, please."

Old 05-22-2016, 02:48 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,611,780 times
Everyone on here will complain if it's 75-80f and cloudy!

Our met office is crap when it comes to providing things like average high per day, or date records. We have to work those out ourselves!

Old 05-22-2016, 08:16 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,688,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Everyone on here will complain if it's 75-80f and cloudy!
What will they complain for? Too cool? Too hot? Just cloudy?

Old 05-22-2016, 09:56 AM

That does surprise me. The thing is, I like the sun pretty much, but if it's 97'F and it's shining on you through the car window right on your neck, that's annoying. When it means you can barely walk 0.2 of a mile before you about pass out, it's awful. Clouds in that situation help diffuse that harshness, and to me that more than makes up for the humidity. They're RELIEF in that case.

By contrast, when it's 75-85F and you're coming off of winter and are now able to enjoy water sports again after several months of not being able to do so, it feels GOOD to have some sun, you want it warm (but again not HOT), so with the clouds I'm like "go away, get out of here."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather