Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more likely to go an entire winter with ZERO snowfall?
London 32 84.21%
Oklahoma City 6 15.79%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 05:31 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,689,589 times

Advertisements

I used snow falling days from Heathrow Airport, fewest was 3 in a winter Central London may have fewer. Heathrow was the only place I could find data however. But I'll just go by the stats. In fact if you saw the previous post you'll see I compared snow falling days for Oklahoma City and London; the numbers were roughly the same, not much in it. The thread title does not refer specifically to "lying snow", but says "snow fall" which I interpreted to mean a day when snow falls at some point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 05:38 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Is there a way to get data on days of falling snow by winter? The historic data I found doesn't include days with snow falling:

Weather and climate change - Met Office

Old 02-17-2014, 05:39 PM

The metoffice does offer this data if you pay for it.

It seems that certain members did not read my post correctly, because I stated days with snow fall as the thread title states. Not "lying snow".

The data shows: The year with the least "snow falling" days at Heathrow Airport was 1992, with 3 days. Snowiest in recent years was 2010, with 28 days. There were no years with 0.

For the record, Oklahoma City has slightly more "snow falling" days per winter season, as an average over 4 decades. So, London has more chance as pertaining to the thread title question.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:17 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,409,250 times
London so far this winter:

December:
Average high: 9.7C
Average min: 4.5C

Highest max temp: 14.1C
lowest min temp: -1.5C

Lowest max temp: 5.3C
Highest min temp: 11.8C

January:
Average high: 9.8C
Average min: 4.9C

Highest max temp: 13.3C
lowest min temp: -1.8C

Lowest max temp: 5.4C
Highest min temp: 9.8C

February(up to 17th):
Average high: 10.0C
Average min: 4.8C

Highest max temp: 12.4C
lowest min temp: 2.0C

Lowest max temp: 8.7C
Highest min temp: 7.9C

It has been a very mild winter so far for London, months like this are not rare, but usually 3 in a row this mild is quite rare. I would certainly say from my experience living near Heathrow, that snowless winters have happened quite a few times in my lifetime, certainly pre 2007. I doubt there is much chance of snow in the rest of this winter though, the past few days with some sunshine and strengthening sun has felt springlike

Old 02-17-2014, 06:20 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post

The data shows: The year with the least "snow falling" days at Heathrow Airport was 1992, with 3 days. Snowiest in recent years was 2010, with 28 days. There were no years with 0.
I assume you have this data because you paid for it?

In any case the answer to this question is Oklahoma City even without London data.

OKLAHOMA CITY WSFO AP, OKLAHOMA - Climate Summary

1999-2000 recorded zero snowfall, though three days of observations are missing. As I've said before, I don't know the OP can't be bothered to spend some time looking up the data before starting the thread.

For the entire period of data, the variance in the number of days of snowfall is rather high, with a mean of 6.44 days and a standard deviation of 3.42.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
London so far this winter:

It has been a very mild winter so far for London, months like this are not rare, but usually 3 in a row this mild is quite rare. I would certainly say from my experience living near Heathrow, that snowless winters have happened quite a few times in my lifetime, certainly pre 2007. I doubt there is much chance of snow in the rest of this winter though, the past few days with some sunshine and strengthening sun has felt springlike
Maybe you haven't seen snow some winters, but the observations and data I have is recorded by trained meteorologists who observe 24 / 7 and so will have observed say a brief snow shower that most people would not observe.

But the data does not show the whole of London (note: it's quite a big place) as ever being totally free of any snow in any year. Even if the snow was just a light shower it happened at least once or more in every winter of observations somewhere in London.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I assume you have this data because you paid for it?

In any case the answer to this question is Oklahoma City even without London data.

OKLAHOMA CITY WSFO AP, OKLAHOMA - Climate Summary

1999-2000 recorded zero snowfall, though three days of observations are missing. As I've said before, I don't know the OP can't be bothered to spend some time looking up the data before starting the thread.

For the entire period of data, the variance in the number of days of snowfall is rather high, with a mean of 6.44 days and a standard deviation of 3.42.
How interesting. I was looking at data from Will Rogers World Airport (KOKC) which had a fewest of 5 snow falling days in 2012.

Like I said before both seem to average a similar amount of days with snow observed falling in a year.

It seems the conclusion of this is that perhaps certain parts of Oklahoma City and London have recorded no snow falling in some years, but others have. Bear in mind, these are quite large areas, with multiple observation stations. But if we include all observation stations from the whole of these places, the answer is that both have recorded at least some snow fall in some area, every year. This can be explained by localised snow showers for example.

Well, in conclusion, I voted for London just based on the average for each place, but averages can be deceptive because as you mentioned standard deviation plays a role in it. Isn't it interesting.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:53 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
OKC and it ain't even close

Old 02-17-2014, 07:55 PM

Not close in what? Snow depth? Snow lying? Days with recorded snow falling? Back up your assertions. Data some have posted shows it is close.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
How interesting. I was looking at data from Will Rogers World Airport (KOKC) which had a fewest of 5 snow falling days in 2012.

Like I said before both seem to average a similar amount of days with snow observed falling in a year.

It seems the conclusion of this is that perhaps certain parts of Oklahoma City and London have recorded no snow falling in some years, but others have.
Didn't think to check others stations in Oklahoma City. Which parts of London have recorded no falling snow?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather