Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2014, 07:57 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,223 times

Advertisements

I understand that hot air can hold more precipitation than cold air, so rain comes down harder and stronger in the tropics or in the summers in places with hot summers. I also understand that fronts are responsible for the more drizzly rain, large air masses of different temperatures slowly moving/contacting one another so that rain is prolonged rather than in a heavy thunderstorm that happens quickly and shortly due to daytime heating, and that fronts are at play really only in mid latitudes when temperature contrasts are greatest latitude-wise.

Why isn't there misty/drizzly rain more commonly in hot places, or hot days, even when humidity is high or say, night time doesn't differ that much from day time in temperature? Why do you not really get for instance, a hot drizzly day that is say 80s or 90s F with little rain droplets slowly precipitating out of the air all day long. Or do you? Could a mechanism like that happen? Could you get a hot day in the 80s or 90s with long, consistent drizzle and cloud in the style of the British Isles or the winter of the Pacific northwest, except for the temperature.

It would be cool if there was a climate in the world that had hot drizzly precipitation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 08:38 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,555,912 times
Evaporation combined with too low of a dew point I suppose.

Sometimes southern California coastal areas have drizzle in the summer but it's usually a mild temperature when that happens (e.g. 20C).

Old 02-21-2014, 08:42 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,223 times
But couldn't a humid hot climate have a drizzly day? What about rainforest (I'm talking solidly tropical ones, not highland cloud forests or temperate rainforests) or equatorial ones?

Old 02-21-2014, 08:50 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,555,912 times
I don't really know but my guess is that there are no tropical climates that receive drizzle because the type of clouds that produce drizzle usually don't exist in those regions, if ever.

I think it could happen in certain subtropical climates (provided high enough latitude) but not very often. Maybe in Sydney and along the NSW coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather