Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you rate this climate ?
A 1 5.00%
B 5 25.00%
C 6 30.00%
D 5 25.00%
E 0 0%
F 3 15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 02:04 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times

Advertisements

D-

Slightly worse than Memphis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 03:47 AM

3,586 posts, read 4,970,437 times
D. Too hot.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:26 PM

607 posts, read 648,336 times
Really surprised at the sunshine totals, more like the desert states to the west than the humid southern climate I thought it would have. Summers look nice: warm, sunny with the rain coming on only a few days, presumably thundery.

Winters have similar average temps and rainfall to here, but fewer rainy days, more frost and over 3 times the sunshine.

It seems to be a nice transitional climate between the wet, humid, quite cloudy climates of places like New Orleans and the dry, sunny but prone to extreme temperatures regime of Texas and places further west. Overall a C+ for me, verging on a B.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:33 PM

2,714 posts, read 3,042,541 times
D+, since the summer gets too hot- however it's still quite nice with plentyful of sunshine and also the rainfall amount is much lower than i thought. Make those temperatures 5-7°C lower and i take it.

Also there seems to be a decent chance to experience real winter weather during the winter season, though of course its not stable at that latitude. But still better than i had imagined for that latitude, therefore a D+.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:34 PM

1,076 posts, read 1,744,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshie79 View Post
Really surprised at the sunshine totals, more like the desert states to the west than the humid southern climate I thought it would have. Summers look nice: warm, sunny with the rain coming on only a few days, presumably thundery.

Winters have similar average temps and rainfall to here, but fewer rainy days, more frost and over 3 times the sunshine.

It seems to be a nice transitional climate between the wet, humid, quite cloudy climates of places like New Orleans and the dry, sunny but prone to extreme temperatures regime of Texas and places further west. Overall a C+ for me, verging on a B.
New Orleans is rainy but also sunny.
Place with wet, humid, quite cloudy climates remind me more East Asian climate (like Shanghai, Tokyo, Taipei...).

Old 02-25-2014, 01:51 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,448,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartfordd View Post
New Orleans is rainy but also sunny.
Place with wet, humid, quite cloudy climates remind me more East Asian climate (like Shanghai, Tokyo, Taipei...).
Little Rock has almost as much sun as Miami. Over 400 hours more than New Orleans.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:59 PM

927 posts, read 1,946,821 times
Those sunshine hours are very suspect. I would believe 2700 to 2850 though.
For personal comfort, the only months worth a damn are April, May and October. They happen to be the second through fourth rainiest months as well which kind of takes the shine off of all three.
Winter temperatures are fine for dormancy but not too good for a cold sensitive dude like me. Meanwhile June through September are excessively uncomfortable due more to the humidity than its high temperatures. Medford (Oregon) is just as hot during the day but way more comfortable. Night time temperatures often not dropping below 80 do not make the daytime highs any easier to take.
I have been to Little Rock during high summer and I have seen heat and humidity there sufficient to shrivel it to a whetstone.

On the other hand, for growing nearly all the fruits and vegetables I like to eat, I couldn't ask for a better climate. Given an acre or two, I could grow enough foodstuffs I would never again need to see a supermarket's grocery section again.

For personal comfort, D+, if that; and only because early spring and late fall can be nice.
For gardening, A- or better.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:34 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,448,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVWinters View Post
On the other hand, for growing nearly all the fruits and vegetables I like to eat, I couldn't ask for a better climate. Given an acre or two, I could grow enough foodstuffs I would never again need to see a supermarket's grocery section again.
I'm not big on gardening but eventually want to have citrus trees, wouldn't work in LR. You haven't lived until you eat homegrown grapefruit...

Old 02-25-2014, 06:40 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
b-...Couple months too cold and couple to hot but the rest pretty nice.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:33 AM

927 posts, read 1,946,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
I'm not big on gardening but eventually want to have citrus trees, wouldn't work in LR. You haven't lived until you eat homegrown grapefruit...
My Father retired to south Florida and had both grapefruit and orange trees. Homegrown citrus owns anything you can find in a grocery store or even a fruit stand! Both were fantastic. Unfortunately things like blueberries, strawberries, lettuce, turnips and even peppers and cantaloupe simply didn't grow. They were little more than nematode food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather