Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2014, 03:19 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,068,909 times

Advertisements

Major rainfall expected tomorrow night and friday. We'll probably be seeing the third significant flooding event this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Ch'ch and Canterbury lowland places have not generally figured in NZ low sun stats. lists, but this month may put paid to that, with diabolically low values so far.
You can say that again! It's not getting any better either:

It's difficult to see how this month won't be a record breaker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 07:29 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,350,573 times
Lovely showery - over the past week - and cloudy, over the past fortnight, weather came to an end after daylight today.
Heavy rain showers yesterday (Tuesday) evening/overnight caused local flash flooding in the eastern suburbs, my area included with falls between 25-35mm.
MTD rainfall ending 9am Wednesday:
Rose Bay: 115.7mm (incomplete).
Dover Heights: 125.7mm.
Regarding sunshine (ending Tuesday 15th) - it has been very cloudy with just 54.7 hours recorded, 19.7 of this measured on the 2nd and 3rd alone. From the 4th to 15th, just 28.8 hours of sun were recorded. Today is probably the first day that the daily total exceeded 7 hours since the 3rd.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
35C forecast tomorrow which is hot for this late in autumn (37.6C is the record for April). Still no rain on the forecast with just 8.8mm year to date and only 21mm recorded in the past 6 months
That's terrible mate! It was like that here during spring last year (November excepted) and summer too. Luckily Autumn, so far, have seen wetter than usual weather prevailing.
I was in NZ (Christchurch, Otago and Southland) during February and, after a dry December and especially January here, it were a relief to see some days of rain/showers at regular intervals there.
SW WA is getting drier - has been over the past 30 odd years - and with the trend, bar the rare "wet" month, expected to continue, you might have to consider moving away to other cities/towns that have more reliable rain.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Perfect light rainfall here, with 49 mm over 32 hours. I was worried that the first fall in a while would be a heavy one, as there was quite a bit of deep cracking in the ground.

Still warm enough for crickets and cicadas though.
We had very "loud" cicadas here, in the front garden, during the first few days of this month. Since then they have, thankfully, been silent and I think it's safe to say they won't be heard anymore until the next summer.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
Another hot day yesterday, 38C. Similar conditions forecast for today.

Here are some photos I took yesterday around my area:

The landscape after 4 months of virtually no rain

Huge Moreton Bay fig tree at the local school

Banana tree at the university

Perth skyline from Matilda Bay, Swan River

Black Swans and ducks on the river foreshore
Those totally dead yellow lawns looks absolutely horrendous!

Old 04-16-2014, 12:19 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Must have tougher cicadas over there, they stopped singing here in late March- possibly early April (which was still pretty warm).
There are 48 species of Cicada in NZ. About half are also found in Norfolk Island and New Caledonia (Zealandia) World wide, Cicadas become active above 18C average temperature and continue their song until they have finished breeding. The Cicadas here would usually be finished by early April, but this wet spell has caused a big delay for the stragglers. Temperatures are still warm enough, that any sunny period will bring them out in song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
We had very "loud" cicadas here, in the front garden, during the first few days of this month. Since then they have, thankfully, been silent and I think it's safe to say they won't be heard anymore until the next summer.
Mid January until mid March is peak time here, and they are very loud. It's one of the things I really like about summer, particularly when they go right through the night. When I lived in Invercargill, summers seemed very quite. I wouldn't want to live somewhere without them.

It's raining again this morning..... surprise surprise. 38mm/1.5 inches overnight.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
This Southerly outbreak is absolutely savage. The shrieking wind kept me awake all night averaging around 50 kph! Currently 11 C and expected to stay in the 10-12 C for the next 12 hrs. Gusts up to 130 kph and 30+ mm of rain expected.
Just like the dear sunny and dry sou'wester here except that I would rather have the pure wet and cloudy southerly version.

Last edited by koyaanisqatsi1; 04-16-2014 at 01:29 PM..

Old 04-16-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
This Southerly outbreak is absolutely savage. The shrieking wind kept me awake all night averaging around 50 kph! Currently 11 C and expected to stay in the 10-12 C for the next 12 hrs. Gusts up to 130 kph and 30+ mm of rain expected.
Quote:
There are 48 species of Cicada in NZ. About half are also found in Norfolk Island and New Caledonia (Zealandia) World wide, Cicadas become active above 18C average temperature and continue their song until they have finished breeding. The Cicadas here would usually be finished by early April, but this wet spell has caused a big delay for the stragglers. Temperatures are still warm enough, that any sunny period will bring them out in song.

Mid January until mid March is peak time here, and they are very loud. It's one of the things I really like about summer, particularly when they go right through the night. When I lived in Invercargill, summers seemed very quite. I wouldn't want to live somewhere without them.

It's raining again this morning..... surprise surprise. 38mm/1.5 inches overnight.
I didn't hear any during December and January but then those two months were unusually much less humid and drier than usual and, as for February, I was in NZ (South Island) so can't pass any comment. The last two weeks of March were loud too come to think of it.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:

Re Invercargill - I spent a month there (my brother lives there) two months ago and finally met my first "Kiwi" niece LOL. Arrived at the airport in the midst of a heavy SW thunderstorm. Took some amazing cloud photos from above the plane. Poured down quite heavily for about ten minutes. Weather during the first, and to an lesser extent, fourth weeks were sunny and dry. The second and third weeks saw very changeable NW/W/SW weather occurring. Had the pleasure of seeing a strong cold SW front crossing Invercargill during the third week with heavy showers, gales, hail, thunder and lightning lasting about 3 hours. The midday temperature that day was 5C but three hours later had shot up to 20C!

Three days had mild "pure" westerly gales reaching nearly 100km/hr but what amazed me was there were no debris and the sun was shining, certainly a surreal experience standing in the middle of my brother's street with westerly gales roaring and all trees/plants bending very strongly to the east with no damage and when I mentioned this to other people, they merely dismissed it as a "normal" windy day! In Sydney, this would normally be accompanied with cloud, heavy rain and no sun at all and the media would be screaming their heads off about it!
It wasn't until the fourth day that I finally experienced a pure colder SW flow with heavy showers sweeping in rapidly! I actually prefer Southland's wet and humid westerly weather as opposed to Sydney's dry, cold and sunny weather!

I quite liked it there. Not much traffic, cheaper and people are much friendlier. I was, indeed, surprised to meet two couples who have moved there from Sydney. One bought a 1902 wooden villa in Georgetown for just $87,000 a few years ago with no stamp duty! That sort of house would sell in excess of $850,000 here!!!
It is my intention to move my family to Invercargill in some years to come. Cost of living - apart from petrol - is just so cheap there! And the summer temperatures pleasant - not hot, cold and humid - just right and rainfall is, most of the time, reliable.

As for Christchurch - hardly recognised the place! Spent two days there and it was cloudy and cool (onshore nor'easter). The CBD doesn't look the same now and such a shame to see many old buildings gone. People there didn't smile much, could feel airs of extreme anger, sadness and tension.

Last edited by koyaanisqatsi1; 04-16-2014 at 02:47 PM..

Old 04-17-2014, 02:35 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,599,656 times
So glad not to have Invercargill's climate, even though this April has been appalling for many places here so far, and the far south relatively benign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather