Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2014, 09:38 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,438,426 times

Advertisements

When Al Gore came up with the notion of global warming, he won 1.5 million for the Nobel Peace Prize. Imo, although he donated that money to a weather organization, I think he needs to announce he made a mistake and it should have been global cooling.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:40 AM

61,660 posts, read 87,041,175 times
The fact is, global warming is global. Its effects are felt around the world, not limited to the 2% we experience here on the continental United States.
Most Americans have no clue what "Global Warming " means:
A study from Yale and George Mason University reveals that 23% of Americans “do not believe that global warming is happening”, and 56% of the disbelievers are now “very sure” or “extremely sure” that global warming is a hoax.

http://video.nationalgeographic.com/...l-warming-101/

Last edited by elnina; 03-03-2014 at 09:58 AM..

Old 03-03-2014, 01:02 PM

I know what global warming means. I also know what it doesn't mean. I know what global means. I also know the size of the US compared to other areas of the world. I've been to many of those areas. Many people are clueless as to what most Americans know or don't know. When it is stated in a supercilious manner, it is offensive.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:17 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,924,056 times
Shouldn't this be in Politics?

Old 03-03-2014, 01:29 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,644,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Probably. Climate Change is real and happening now™

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWfyJw_vXGc

Old 03-03-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Why would discussing the weather be in politics?

Old 03-03-2014, 07:36 PM

927 posts, read 1,947,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Why would discussing the weather be in politics?
Weather, or in this case, "climate" is apolitical in and of itself but over the last decade or two has become extensively politicized. The entire subject of "Climate Change" or "Global Warming" has evolved (some would say, "degenerated") into a political free for all with partisans lining up on both sides of the issue. Climate, along with several other hot button issues are now rooted in the personal ideologies of those most attached to whatever side they come down on. The emotional attachment some have to their positions is remarkable and in the most extreme cases, pathological.

So, yes; climate is a political football and some climate discussions are better held in the "Politics and Other Controversies" section. I wish this weren't the case but the debates can get acrimonious enough - even here - that moving such discussions over there are appropriate. The rules of engagement in the Politics section are a lot looser and people there can wave their pitchforks and torches at each other to their heart's content.

Speaking personally, I am not a climatologist and I do not have a background in meteorology but I have read the avalanche of articles on the subject of climate change and am convinced that the contingent of scientists who believe we are warming up on a global scale is correct. The evidence presented to me suggests a warming signal.
That's not to say every country or region is warming up to the same degree or even at all. I happen to live in one of only two significant swaths of area where temperatures have remained virtually flat or are decreasing.
Nor is it to say we are headed for the kind of climate apocalypse that some climate experts believe will occur when (I did not say "if") the 5 to 10 degree temperature rise claimed will (again, I did not say "if") occur by century's end and go on from there. That probably won't happen.

But we are warming up and if we continue to do so at the same rate as during the past 30 years, I can see a 1.5 to, maybe as much as 2 degree average global temperature increase before 2100.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:03 PM

409 posts, read 511,996 times
THEY say global warming is real and the oceans are rising, soon all of this property will be under water. So, isnt it fraud to intentionally insure something you KNOW will be flooded?
Or are they ready to admit they lied about global warming, too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather